Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Download speed = Bandwidth/number of devices on network

• 13-09-2019 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi All looking for a bit of advice, i got gigabit FTTH installed about a month and a half ago, had an issue where i was getting less than 100Mbps download. After about 2 weeks or resetting router and ONT one of the support guys said he would re-set the line at his end (not too sure what this meant) and after resetting the router and ONT again i was back to full speed. No in the mean time the tv package that was supposed to be installed along with the internet was never finished, a month and a half later before KN managed to get out and fix it.
    After the tv got sorted i'm back to 100Mbps speeds.
    Well after a quick call to Eir support i seem to be back up and running again but i'm pretty gure i got one of the largest bull **** explanations as to why my speed was so low.
    I'm not a network engineer, but i consider myself savvy enough to setup a poor mans attempt at a home network, consisting of the Eir router with a Cat5e cable running across the house to a Netgear Nighthawk router setup as a repeater/switch.

The Eir support guy logs into the router and tell me the problem is because there is 17 devices on my network and that my bandwidth is being divided between them. I call his bluff that this is the issue, i'm pretty sure bandwidth is assigned by the router to devices on demand as needed.
    He has me unplug everything and connect directly to the router to prove his point. Doing this gets me up to 500Mbps "There you go " hey says smugly. I told him that the last time the Eir Tech support guy reset my line to fix the speeds, only to be told that he had done that. After re-routing and plugging out cables i wasn't going to argue any more with the guy. Because i had challenged him it seems like he purposely had me disconnect all the devices to prove his point (Which i call bull on), i'm pretty sure the line reset is all that was needed. Amazingly i have all my devices plugged back in and getting 700+Mbps.
    How is it that Eir have so many poor tech support people. So far i have only talked to one guy who not only knows what he's talking about but is genuinely helpful with a good attitude to the customer.

If this keeps happening i be looking elsewhere for broadband once my contract is up in 10 months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eir support used to be in Dublin, the served them an ultimatum: move to Cork or quit. You can guess which was popular. What was a mediocre service became a terrrrrible one.

To your question some forms of QoS could reserve bandwidth minimums. When your set top box turns on the F2000 registers it and reserves ~8Mb for it. If you had say 10x of them that could be a problem but they limit you to three or four.

The speed issues may be the wrong profile applied to your port, adding/removing anything (such as TV, mobile phone, whatever) resets your port config with Eir so such issues can crop up. More of an issue with FTTC if the prequal value is erroneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

Thanks ED, i knew that there was a QOS option, i would have guessed that EIR would have the F2000 automatically assign a certain amount of bandwidth for that to ensure you always had TV service, but i would assume that QOS by default for all other connected devices, tablets, phones, other PCs etc would divvy out the bandwidth by demand unless i manually set an IP on my network to have "X" bandwidth. I'm surprised that adding devices could interrupt thing on the Eir end, i would have taught that maybe you could get an ip conflict on the router which would hopefully be sorted by a quick reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To be clear there is no QoS for non STBs and he was totally talking ****e.

Advertisement