Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC at christmas... hotel and activity recomendations

Options
  • 14-09-2019 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all, as part of my O/H birthday present I have booked us 4 nights in NYC for christmas week. We arrive on 27th and leave on 31st dec. I am looking for recommendations on hotels. Im hoping to spend 250-300 p/night and there are a far few out there but im looking for first hand experience of somewhere comfortable, safe and accesible for all the usual tourist type stuff. Hoping for somewhere that has wifi, a comfy bed and a little bar to have a night cap before bed.

Any help on this would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Take a look at holiday inn madison sq gardens we stayed there about 4 years ago was great location walking distance to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Check it the New Yorker hotel on tomes sq . Stayed here a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Would recommend staying in the Village as opposed to anywhere near Times Sq which is a place to avoid IMO. Fine for a quick walk through a few snaps but utterly horrible otherwise. The Village is cheaper too. Aim for somewhere around Washington Sq Park. Air BnB an option.

You'll be near Soho, Little Italy, Macdougal St and a load of great places. Other option is to stay in the Upper West Side. Nice area places to stay and eat.

As opposed to the usual touristy stuff would recommend catching the train out to Williamsburg in Brooklyn. Nice markets, a few breweries and silence for a few hours! You'll appreciate the silence when you do it.

You can catch a boat down to Dumbo then and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Highly recommend the Holiday Inn 6th avenue Chelsea - it's a few minutes walk from Penn station and it's a nice safe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Agree with the suggestion to avoid Times Sq and look towards the Village or Brooklyn. IMHO Times Sq is an overpriced overcrowded tourist trap. Think Temple Bar on steroids with prices to match. New Yorkers avoid the place like Dubliners avoid Temple Bar.

NYC is one of my favourite cities but not Times Sq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Hi hope you dont mind me jumping in on your thread.Staying in Koreatown,we arrive in the late afternoon.Plan is to check in,freshen up go to the Empire state building.Could any of you recommend somewhere handy around that area to eat.Im not looking for anything fancy,just some decent pub grub.Just want something convenient the first evening we get there.

Going for 4 days,i have it pretty well mapped out what we want to do,but would like some recommendations on pubs and places to eat.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Top of the Rock has better views than the Empire, FYI.

Plus, you get to see the Empire State in any pics you take.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Top of the Rock has better views than the Empire, FYI.

Plus, you get to see the Empire State in any pics you take.

9531bb9ce775ba2cf1c3b8ca893885aa--crocodile-dundee-crocodiles.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

pkvader wrote: »
    Hi hope you dont mind me jumping in on your thread.Staying in Koreatown,we arrive in the late afternoon.Plan is to check in,freshen up go to the Empire state building.Could any of you recommend somewhere handy around that area to eat.Im not looking for anything fancy,just some decent pub grub.Just want something convenient the first evening we get there.

Going for 4 days,i have it pretty well mapped out what we want to do,but would like some recommendations on pubs and places to eat.Thanks

The Triple Crown is a good pub for food & beers. A good Clare man owns it. Martin O'Shea.
    https://triplecrownnyc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Jesus $350 a night!

just 50 more that your budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Would recommend the New Yorker too . Good location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

https://www.hotelonrivington.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8iqMqIE6Lwu0Dlyq4zbptNDejxkN-A2ZDkAB2DoFbnCHHQoLOzZMjxoC9JQQAvD_BwE

Would recommend Hotel on Rivington on the Lower East Side. It's in authentic part of Manhattan with loads of cool bars and restaurants nearby. Also just around the corner from the subway where you can get the train to and from JFK with just one change onto the airtrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

BailMeOut wrote: »

My chest tightened just looking at the bedroom photo. My ensuite is bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Homer

Hoboo wrote: »

Fairly standard for the cheaper end of the market hotel rooms in NYC
    It’s only somewhere to put the head down at the end of a days shopping/sightseeing.

Hoboo wrote: »

This CitizemM is my fav hotel in NYC. I stay here about four times a year and its unlike any holtel you have ever visited. Rooms are tiny but full of great tech and really comfortable and the lobby is just a really cool lounge/bar and you get access to the bar on the roof.

Advertisement