Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd fix Carpentry Labour Cost Estimate

Options
  • 14-09-2019 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,
    Back doing carpentry, pricing to second fix a 2 storey house with sun room and attic converted too so 3 levels. 2 stairs have been fitted by a stair crowd already. What would be a good price for Labour Only for the following?

Rebate door frames in place already.Pine
    Pre-primed materials
    Hang 16 doors, iron-mongery, architrave
    Fix 230 meters of skirting
    Lay 185 square meters of laminate floors.

I'm self employed and fully insured and job is through the books.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Easiest way to do it as a subby is break it down to a days required. You should know yourself how long it should take you to do each of those jobs. If you're very good and tidy at your job allow for €170-180 a day.

Hanging doors including frames & ironongery should take no long than 3-4 hours per door (assuming they're 900x2100mm). So 3.5hrs x 16 doors = 6.60 days straight away (assuming 8.5 hours in a working day). Skirting and Architraves I'd imagine would take 2 days and the flooring a week or more? That's a complete guess, I've no experience putting down floors.

Given the above examples: €2,600-2,880

EDIT: Removed my 'Materials' part of my post. I see you're saying it's labour only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 clarechippy

Cheers Lemonkey,
    I'm looking at 12/13 days anyway, lots of flooring, and all these door handles with scutchions excuse the spelling is slow work.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

In or around 4000 plus the vat I'd be thinking

Sound furandfeather, had it around that,cos 12/13 days at €180 a day would come in well under for day work s. A lot of work 3 levels.

Cheers Lemonkey,
    I'm looking at 12/13 days anyway, lots of flooring, and all these door handles with scutchions excuse the spelling is slow work.

No worries. The above figure I arrived to is how I price jobs as a QS but if you can get away with charging €4,000 like you and furandfeather think then by all means charge it!

However, if it's a job you're tendering for I'd revert back to the numbers of days by the €180 day date.

• Advertisement

Cheers, somewhere in between I'll go, keep it balanced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

lemonkey wrote: »
    No worries. The above figure I arrived to is how I price jobs as a QS but if you can get away with charging €4,000 like you and furandfeather think then by all means charge it!

However, if it's a job you're tendering for I'd revert back to the numbers of days by the €180 day date.

180 a day for a self employed carpenter not a hope.
    That's more like take home pay for an employee carpenter that's has their prsi usc insurance and pension paid for by the main carpentry contractor.
    Prob looking at paying at least 300 + a day for self employed that's covering their own expenses van tools insurance el +pl yearly accountancy fees pension etc etc

It all adds up, sound,thats why I gave a price instead of day rate, got the job anyway so I'll plough on with, thanks for all your imputs.

180 a day for a self employed carpenter not a hope.
    That's more like take home pay for an employee carpenter that's has their prsi usc insurance and pension paid for by the main carpentry contractor.
    Prob looking at paying at least 300 + a day for self employed that's covering their own expenses van tools insurance el +pl yearly accountancy fees pension etc etc

300, where? I've yet to see that myself. I've just appointed two different self employed lads (with employees), one for internal joinery and one for standing trusses, lat, felt and tiling. Both went in at a lump sum but also offered a day rate of 180 and 190 respectively. Just curious, not arguing.

The above is Limerick & Galway.

Some more context: Agencies are charging €25/hr for craftsmen in Munster. By law now they have to pay said craftsman a weekly wage regardless of employment. That's €212 a day without a pension but including profits for the agency so probably balances out. The €212 also is before taxes, I'm not sure their exact take home/hr.

Let us know how you get on clarechippy!

Advertisement