Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Keyboard or Mouse - unable to log on to Windows

Options
  • 14-09-2019 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I noticed that i wasn't getting great USB 3 speeds on my H110m-itx board and decided to reinstall the USB 3 drivers. The driver installation ended with the error that it was unable to install one or more devices and I saw that I no longer had any USB - no mouse or keyboard. I killed the power on the PC and restarted and at the logon screen I have no keyboard or mouse - the lights are on but there's nobody home. I've been trying to get it into Safe mode and have tried frantically pressing F8 during boot like a madman to pulling the power as windows is loading, but still I get brought to the Welcome screen every time. Can anyone make a suggestion as to how I can get into the windows installation? Is it possible to remove devices/drivers from a non-running windows installation? Or could i do something booting off the installation disc? I thought also maybe I could image the installation and then try and doctor the installation in DISM or something but would it really come to that? It's Windows 7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try F2 or F10 or Del to get in to safe mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Got any USB2 ports? That'd be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Try F2 or F10 or Del to get in to safe mode.

Nah...F2 or Del is BIOS and F10 doesn't seem to do anything, F11 is meant to bring up boot screen and isn't doing anything either. I tried booting into the installation USB and have no keyboard or mouse in that either. I've just no had a look around the back of the case and i see a PS2 port! You'd think I'd have done this before now...lol
    Now to try and find a PS2 keyboard...

Just saw the other post - yeh I have USB2 but that's where the keyboard and mouse are.

Do not think I have a PS2 keyboard anymore anywhere...has anyone out there within reasonable distance from Tallaght got one for a lend?

EDIT: Crisis averted, I've found a couple of USB/PS2 adapters in my wisdom I hadn't thrown out...

Advertisement