Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris. Buzz Killington

Options
  • 14-09-2019 10:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭

Not content with trying to make a few cans in your mates gaff up to half the cost of a night in the pub, the boy king has dreamt up more nonsense to push.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/alcohol-crackdown-cheap-drink-deals-to-take-a-hit-and-shoppers-wont-get-loyalty-points-38496566.html

I

What's coming next? Raising the age limit to 21? State off licences, sparse in umber, like in Sweden? Some sort of stealth law that will try force Wetherspoons out of the country, like a minimum price per pint within certain council areas? It seems the 3 day promotions law will force them to get rid of the 2.25 pints of Fosters they run on Mondays (or ran at least, it was great last summer to watch a whole night of world cup ball and have change from a 20)

I was in Australia for a year some years ago. In some ways it had a lot to show us the right way things were done. Nightclubs open until nearly 5am, some other bars essentially open 23 hours day, it was a great time to be alive as a young lad.

In other ways the state intervention in your life was Orwellian. Take home alcohol could only be bought at an actual off licence or supermarket- no getting a few from a local Centra equivalent or a petrol station. Anyone serving alcohol, be it a pub, nightclub or off licence, had to complete a one day alcohol awareness course. Christ, anyone working in a venue with a gambling machine (i.e. most Aussie pubs) needed a gambling awareness ticket. As for being out drinking, less salubrious bars would have marshals wandering through handing out bottles of water and giving people 30 minute time outs from the bar, more if you weren't a regular than if you were drunk.
    Since I lived there they have essentially killed the Sydney nightlife. 10am closing for off licences (something this dump preceded them in circa 2008), earlier closing for most bars and nightclubs, the city is dead now.

All of the above was part of the reason I could never settle there, the over reaching arm of the state getting into you at every corner. They even have sniffer dogs at train station barriers- not to catch the thousands of aggressive meth addicts roaming the streets but rather to get kids carrying weed, young people heading to clubs with a pill or a bag of white on them.

But let's face it, minimum alcohol pricing, opening hours, the decline of club culture, we're dying a death thanks to vengeful nerds like Simon who seem to have a pathological hatred of young people having the type of fun he never did.

Is there a site showing what **** in the Dail voted to pass this wretched bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Alcohol crackdown: Cheap drink deals to take a hit and shoppers won't get loyalty points
    Cut price and short term deals also facing ban
    Certain special offers will also be cut out

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why does he have to ruin everything good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Yet I'm on a 2 year waiting list for a 20 minute eye test too see if I'm slowly going blind or not. Nice to see the priorities are in order. Cheers Simon don't forget to bring in a rule where all off licenses have to have pricing in braille.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not content with trying to make a few cans in your mates gaff up to half the cost of a night in the pub, the boy king has dreamt up more nonsense to push.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/alcohol-crackdown-cheap-drink-deals-to-take-a-hit-and-shoppers-wont-get-loyalty-points-38496566.html

I

What's coming next? Raising the age limit to 21? State off licences, sparse in umber, like in Sweden? Some sort of stealth law that will try force Wetherspoons out of the country, like a minimum price per pint within certain council areas? It seems the 3 day promotions law will force them to get rid of the 2.25 pints of Fosters they run on Mondays (or ran at least, it was great last summer to watch a whole night of world cup ball and have change from a 20)

I was in Australia for a year some years ago. In some ways it had a lot to show us the right way things were done. Nightclubs open until nearly 5am, some other bars essentially open 23 hours day, it was a great time to be alive as a young lad.

In other ways the state intervention in your life was Orwellian. Take home alcohol could only be bought at an actual off licence or supermarket- no getting a few from a local Centra equivalent or a petrol station. Anyone serving alcohol, be it a pub, nightclub or off licence, had to complete a one day alcohol awareness course. Christ, anyone working in a venue with a gambling machine (i.e. most Aussie pubs) needed a gambling awareness ticket. As for being out drinking, less salubrious bars would have marshals wandering through handing out bottles of water and giving people 30 minute time outs from the bar, more if you weren't a regular than if you were drunk.
    Since I lived there they have essentially killed the Sydney nightlife. 10am closing for off licences (something this dump preceded them in circa 2008), earlier closing for most bars and nightclubs, the city is dead now.

All of the above was part of the reason I could never settle there, the over reaching arm of the state getting into you at every corner. They even have sniffer dogs at train station barriers- not to catch the thousands of aggressive meth addicts roaming the streets but rather to get kids carrying weed, young people heading to clubs with a pill or a bag of white on them.

But let's face it, minimum alcohol pricing, opening hours, the decline of club culture, we're dying a death thanks to vengeful nerds like Simon who seem to have a pathological hatred of young people having the type of fun he never did.

Is there a site showing what **** in the Dail voted to pass this wretched bill?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this stupid Bill is supported by all the main parties FG FF LAB SF etc. and not a peep out of the Independents either.

Long running thread about it here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057676265&page=260

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yet I'm on a 2 year waiting list for a 20 minute eye test too see if I'm slowly going blind or not. Nice to see the priorities are in order. Cheers Simon don't forget to bring in a rule where all off licenses have to have pricing in braille.

Maybe things might be better if the HSE wasn't spending so much on alcohol related injuries and illnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

elperello wrote: »
    [/B]

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this stupid Bill is supported by all the main parties FG FF LAB SF etc. and not a peep out of the Independents either.

Long running thread about it here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057676265&page=260

Did any members dissent on this? Surely it wasn't fairly unanimous.

I'd be a reluctant FF or FG voter anyway as I can't stand the left, but to think they didn't try and stop this is madness.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Maybe things night be better if the HSE wasn't spending so much on alcohol related injuries and illnesses.

Maybe.
    However, it's not the purchase of drink that causes health problems it's how it is consumed.
    This law penalise's people who drink sensibly as well as abusers and does nothing at all to address problem drinking in pubs or clubs.

Did any members dissent on this? Surely it wasn't fairly unanimous.

I'd be a reluctant FF or FG voter anyway as I can't stand the left, but to think they didn't try and stop this is madness.

Yes it was.
    The only dissenting voice in the Oireachtas was Senator/Prof. Sean Barrett an economist from TCD. He correctly pointed out that the extra which will be paid by the consumer is a direct gift to the drinks industry. The only gain for the exchequer is the VAT which will be displaced from other purchases anyway.

Maybe things might be better if the HSE wasn't spending so much on alcohol related injuries and illnesses.
    And you think these proposals will change that?

And you think these proposals will change that?

It won't make it worse anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

society should have the pay the bills for people who misbehave.
    medical bills for drunken misadventure could easily be charged to the offenders.

but instead it the population who'll pay.

harris is a gob****e but so are the rest of them for going along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

unless people drive north to buy cheap booze by the ton and then we see the Revenue lose out

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Yet I'm on a 2 year waiting list for a 20 minute eye test too see if I'm slowly going blind or not. Nice to see the priorities are in order.

Well you could pay to get your eyes privately checked.
    How much would it cost for a private consultation? €100 ?
    Or even a trip to SpecSavers for a routine test?

Nice to see your priorities are in order too.

In Ireland we do abuse alcohol, it's the focus of every event, college, work, weddings, funerals, birthdays, anniversarys.

So unless we end up with some state card giving everyone an allowance per week (again which can be bypassed) then people are given the freedom to self destructive behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So many seem to be in denial about this country's crisis with alcohol.

This is a good start but harsher policies are needed in my opinion.

Another thing that needs to be challenged is advertising and how this country is promoted and associated with drink around the world. On the latter there is no virtue in promoting your country as a land of alcoholics (and then Irish people get offended abroad when they are referred to as drunks). What goes around comes around with that. This nonsense with associating Guinness for example (run by a British company) with our country - I can't understand why that is allowed to continue unchecked (for example like every high profile guest has to have a pint of guinness in public (Obama, the Queen etc...).

So good start by the government ending cheap deals and cheap selling but they need to go further in my opinion.

As for the OP - you describe the young late night drinking culture in Dublin as fun. Go in to Dublin City Center most nights after 12 am as a sober person and "fun" is not how most would describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

All he's missing is the SS uniform.

It won't make it worse so basically these new laws won't change anything with drunken fools. We're gonna spend god knows how much changing legislation that will have no effect. Makes perfect sense. It costs an absolute fortune in lawyers fees to even make the smallest change in law. Other countries with the same expenditure on drunks don't have waiting lists explain that? I worked in pubs/nightclubs for 20 years if people want to get hammered they will end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Maybe things might be better if the HSE wasn't spending so much on compensation for avoidable errors :

Between 2013 and 2017, the State has paid

€448,686,570

to settle claims against the HSE out of court.

and that doesn't include the cervical check debacle which is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh how sick of these fools I am ....

I can't afford to go out and hardly able to afford to drink in....

If these deals are gone then I'll be buying bulk outside the state when possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭893bet

He is moron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I dislike these measures as much as the next lover of a few cans, but the evidence suggests such measures are effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

Oh how sick of these fools I am ....

I can't afford to go out and hardly able to afford to drink in....

If these deals are gone then I'll be buying bulk outside the state when possible.

You sound like you have a drink problem.

There’s lots of things I’d love to do but can’t afford them.

Guess what? I just don’t do them.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I dislike these measures as much as the next lover of a few cans, but the evidence suggests such measures are effective.

In driving people to drugs.

Scotland alcohol consumption has declined but their drug related deaths have increased at a huge rate since the price increase.

Allinall wrote: »
    You sound like you have a drink problem.

There’s lots of things I’d love to do but can’t afford them.

Guess what? I just don’t do them.

Yeah I drink 24 /7.....

Will ya ever cop on will ya....

Why can't I have a few beers every so often.... I shouldn't be penalised for doing so.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Maybe things might be better if the HSE wasn't spending so much on compensation for avoidable errors :

You're 100% right. Shambles of an organization.

However what has that do with alcohol related illnesses or injuries being covered by the taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If only we had serious problems that need to be tackled like housing and insurance that the same energy could be channelled in to fixing.

Have they done studies of countries around the world with alcohol 50% the price of here, perhaps that's the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yeah I drink 24 /7.....

Will ya ever cop on will ya....

Why can't I have a few beers every so often.... I shouldn't be penalised for doing so.

If you can afford it, then no problem. Work away.

Nobody is penalising you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I remember the circle jerking done when they managed to get a pint of Guinness into Barack Obama. It's not so much the actions of politicians that annoys the **** out of me, It's the sheer hypocrisy. They would sell their mothers to get a selfie with Donald Trump and a pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I remember the circle jerking done when they managed to get a pint of Guinness into Barack Obama. It's not so much the actions of politicians that annoys the **** out of me, It's the sheer hypocrisy. They would sell their mothers to get a selfie with Donald Trump and a pint of Guinness.

That's not just politicians to be fair. You can bet your bottom dollar most people in this country would be reaching for the smartphone if they ran into Trump regardless of their stated opinion about him.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    If you can afford it, then no problem. Work away.

Nobody is penalising you.

Oh they will be.... I work hard and play hard.....

I work hard for tha money, so hard for tha money.

Advertisement