Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris. Buzz Killington

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Agree. Try telling these people that most of the rest of the world does not have the relationship with alcohol this country has and they just ignore the fact we have serious issues.

They talk about Dublin's "nightlife". I'm all for nightlife, I'm all for a good time and like a few drinks but...

...anyone here spend an hour in Dublin, early hours, sober (I did it recently) and you will see with your own sober eyes how bad the problem is.

Then ask yourselves is that the state other capital cities are late at night across Europe? Hint: it isn't.

But apparently it's a good thing the streets are thronged with drunks and the behaviour that goes with it.

You'd have to feel sorry for any tourists or visitors not part of stag or hen party or just randomers who have to work or clean up every morning...

It's horrible, it's intimidating, it's noisy and it's pretty lawless except when you see the very rare occupied garda van.

I agree and it is these types who need to be dealt with WITHOUT punishing the rest of us. Dublin on weekend nights is just a less exotic version of Iraq, especially Templebar. Copper Face Jacks and all these are the same and our media promote these places. When people go to excess here, the media and the government then say we have a drink problem. We don't. The people in these places have it, not Ireland. Harris is just like Aunt Lydia showing the trainee handmaids all that is wrong with the pre-Gilead USA but does not bother to tell them the good things. Harris is the same with alcohol. Yes, alcohol has many good sides as well as the negative side our media and government portray. And we need to stand up for that and differentiate most people from a few thugs in our cities and towns esp. Dublin at the weekend who are also on cocaine, crystal meth/methamphetamine, heroin, weed, etc. as well. Thuggery and drink driving need to be cracked down on and that's it. The rest is health fascist drivel of the worst kind and that goes for demonising sugar, tea, coffee, soft drinks, meat, some fruit even, etc. by such types too. If Harris believes in the health fascists, he does not deserve to be minister for health. Anyone knows STRESS and INSURANCE are the causes of poor health these days. They also cause ironically alcoholism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Well you could pay to get your eyes privately checked.
    How much would it cost for a private consultation? €100 ?
    Or even a trip to SpecSavers for a routine test?

Nice to see your priorities are in order too.

In Ireland we do abuse alcohol, it's the focus of every event, college, work, weddings, funerals, birthdays, anniversarys.

So unless we end up with some state card giving everyone an allowance per week (again which can be bypassed) then people are given the freedom to self destructive behaviour.
    It was specsavers that noticed the problem and private will cost between 8 and 900 for this specific test. Don't make assumptions until the facts are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

DeanAustin wrote: »
    That's not just politicians to be fair. You can bet your bottom dollar most people in this country would be reaching for the smartphone if they ran into Trump regardless of their stated opinion about him.

You can be sure they would...I'm actually a ride in real life....It's just the lighting, which is why we need to roll back rules on incandescent bulbs .
    See that Harris? No more of this state actually stopping stupid people doing stupid things to harm themselves and others and having everyone else pay for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

I have been in Amsterdam and Berlin out late night and i'm not the one talking bollocks.

You are just trying to cover for the extent of public drunkeness in Ireland which far exceeds Berlin or most parts of Amsterdam.

Are you seriously trying to suggest German cities that have had mass sexual assaults at new years eve events, music festivals and just in general, are what drunken old Ireland should aspire to?

As for the OP - you describe the young late night drinking culture in Dublin as fun. Go in to Dublin City Center most nights after 12 am as a sober person and "fun" is not how most would describe it.

I don't even drink much these days, but yes, spending your teens and 20's blootered every weekend and a few weeknights is a good way to spend your youth. Certainly less harmful than some of the young lads I know who spend their weekends (and all week) housebound smoking themselves to brain damage on weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Parties funders? What kind of bullcrap is that?

Where are most politicians clinics held and how much rent do they pay to use the room? You don't have to give money to a politician to get favours from them.

As for all the people saying we have issues with drunks on our streets. We have legislation that deals with that, it's illegal to serve an intoxicated person and it's illegal to be intoxicated in public, and if enforced would reduce the drunkenness on our streets, or get a decent revenue stream if not.

Most of the people drunk in our towns at night get drunk in pubs so this will have zero effect on our public drunkenness. It'll just mean that the parents and children of drunks will have less money for food or other essentials, as the drunk will always find money for alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The worst thing about this is that every politician supports it, so we can't even protest with a vote. I would imagine most of them disagree with the proposals but our betters like Frances Black shout the loudest because the stupid cow can't handle a few drinks. Spineless f**king c**ts.
    People will have to get cancer and die in hospital whether we're drinking or not, so what's the f*cking difference how we kill ourselves.
    I can see Ireland go the way of Australia eventually, sucking the fun out of absolutely everything.

I can see Ireland go the way of Australia eventually, sucking the fun out of absolutely everything.

We're already there.

Even before these laws, a night in a mates house isn't particularly cheap. 12 cans of Tuborg for 15 quid. A taxi home. If you fancy getting in the car by the following afternoon a large takeaway is required on the way home to break down the alcohol what with the clamp down on next day driving.

40 quid for a night in a house and this prick wants to increase it.

This all started with that Michael McDowell tosser. Ending happy hours, restricted teenagers being in pubs, then later on some idiot pulled back offo opening hours from midnight to 10pm.

Liberalisation is what is needed. Later offo opening, later opening for nightclubs, bring in the system the Dutch had where 16 year olds can buy beer and wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

The worst thing about this is that every politician supports it, so we can't even protest with a vote. I would imagine most of them disagree with the proposals but our betters like Frances Black shout the loudest because the stupid cow can't handle a few drinks. Spineless f**king c**ts.
    People will have to get cancer and die in hospital whether we're drinking or not, so what's the f*cking difference how we kill ourselves.

The only way to go is to lobby all politicians and get them to question their stance. Quote Margaret Atwood, George Orwell and the like at them and give them a CLEAR message Irish people do not want this nonsense and there has been no REFERENDUM about it either. It is undemocratic just like Gilead and Oceania are undemocratic.

We're already there.

Even before these laws, a night in a mates house isn't particularly cheap. 12 cans of Tuborg for 15 quid. A taxi home. If you fancy getting in the car by the following afternoon a large takeaway is required on the way home to break down the alcohol what with the clamp down on next day driving.

40 quid for a night in a house and this prick wants to increase it.

This all started with that Michael McDowell tosser. Ending happy hours, restricted teenagers being in pubs, then later on some idiot pulled back offo opening hours from midnight to 10pm.

Liberalisation is what is needed. Later offo opening, later opening for nightclubs, bring in the system the Dutch had where 16 year olds can buy beer and wine.

The only thing that allows you to drive legally is time, ~ 1 hour per unit, food or coffee does not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Wasn't there an idea a few years ago about having non-alcoholic type late-opening cafes? but that was shot down as well (vintners federation not happy) It's not about health at all as it's more a push to people to get them out of homes and into pubs.

Nearly everything is taxed really high/rents etc... Even now they're after what and any loyalty points you have which will entitle you to a meagre discount but are prying at your hands to take even that away.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only thing that allows you to drive legally is time, ~ 1 hour per unit, food or coffee does not work.

I've got the home breathalyzer. I definitely find a big pizza on the way home helps things along the next day by a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Sciprio wrote: »
    Wasn't there an idea a few years ago about having non-alcoholic type late-opening cafes? but that was shot down as well (vintners federation not happy) It's not about health at all as it's more a push to people to get them out of homes and into pubs.

Nearly everything is taxed really high/rents etc... Even now they're after what and any loyalty points you have which will entitle you to a meagre discount but are prying at your hands to take even that away.

IIRC the café bar plan was to make it acceptable to go for a croissaint and a glass of lager, instead of the usual 16 pints. Like OMG they thought they could turn us into Frenchies lol

Sciprio wrote: »

Any non alcoholic cafe can open as long as it wants currently, planning issues aside. It was a plan to make alcohol more widely available so that you didn't have to buy it in a pub and non drinkers didn't have to go to pubs when a person wanted a drink, that's why the publicans weren't happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

IIRC the café bar plan was to make it acceptable to go for a croissaint and a glass of lager, instead of the usual 16 pints. Like OMG they thought they could turn us into Frenchies lol

I would have liked to see it happen, just to see those type of business owners realise that we as a nation will take an absolute mile with anywhere serving alcohol. Go to almost any country where burger king serves drink and their security will be able to tell you a story about having to remove an irish person for sitting there getting sh*tfaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honest question will this be allowed under competition laws such as set by the EU?

I think we need to start a petition.

If I knew how I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So many seem to be in denial about this country's crisis with alcohol.

Alcohol consumption has been falling steadily since 2000.
    As for the OP - you describe the young late night drinking culture in Dublin as fun. Go in to Dublin City Center most nights after 12 am as a sober person and "fun" is not how most would describe it.

Problem there is the guards, not alcohol.
    People who are drunk and disorderly etc should get a night in a cell like they would in just about any other country.
    Here, arseholes can do what they want and they know the guards won't touch them.

the_syco wrote: »
    Actually, it may. People will go back to making homebrews, that will cause sickness and even death if the alcohol is not created correctly.

That's complete bullsh1t, to be blunt.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

It's about time somebody stood up to the people being allowed to have fun

I'd rather see them fight for better laws to protect us tax paying fools then all this crap.

Who thought it was such a great idea to give travellers extra rights to those that are in fact original Irish and work hard for what they have...

We need more prison places, more Garda, more hospital places and something they should really be looking at is work life balance and get people healthier that was as we are getting worn out the amount of hours we must put in to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The only way to go is to lobby all politicians and get them to question their stance. Quote Margaret Atwood, George Orwell and the like at them and give them a CLEAR message Irish people do not want this nonsense and there has been no REFERENDUM about it either. It is undemocratic just like Gilead and Oceania are undemocratic.

Lets call a referendum to have free alcohol for the entire country forever.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Lets call a referendum to have free alcohol for the entire country forever.

that sounds like a paul murphy last ditch plan to rally up votes in council estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Oh how sick of these fools I am ....

I can't afford to go out and hardly able to afford to drink in....

If these deals are gone then I'll be buying bulk outside the state when possible.

Booze cruise to Holyhead post Brexit.

McGaggs wrote: »

May have to be France after that....

I would have liked to see it happen, just to see those type of business owners realise that we as a nation will take an absolute mile with anywhere serving alcohol. Go to almost any country where burger king serves drink and their security will be able to tell you a story about having to remove an irish person for sitting there getting sh*tfaced.

Am I imagining it or does Dublin airport BK sell beer?

I'm probably mixing it up.......

Am I imagining it or does Dublin airport BK sell beer?

I'm probably mixing it up.......

it sells pissy pints of budweiser. Even our nation won't bother suffering that considering theres a savage bar next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

McGaggs wrote: »

Holyhead will be outside EU.
    Duty and VAT payable on every drop.

The only value will be your duty free allowance for onboard purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

that sounds like a paul murphy last ditch plan to rally up votes in council estates.

Nah. Its a ridiculous suggestion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement