Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook email accessed from a PC: where are the emails stored?

Options
  • 14-09-2019 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭

I use a company laptop for work from home and I use Outlook Mail from the PC.

Question: are there copies of the emails stored on a server somewhere or is it all local.

I know it periodically archives the stuff locally: how can I find those files?

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Recent mails for last month or so likely local, others on the network/cloud, depends on settings.

Disconnect from the network with Outlook open and you will see what is local.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Recent mails for last month or so likely local, others on the network/cloud, depends on settings.

Disconnect from the network with Outlook open and you will see what is local.

Thanks so If I delete on the laptop will the network/cloud be updated to reflect the deletion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Thanks so If I delete on the laptop will the network/cloud be updated to reflect the deletion?
    Are you trying to restore accidentally deleted archive/message :( or "hide" something? :D

If archiving was set up on O365/local Exchange by admin its recoverable(retention policy's apply). Consult with O365 admin.

If archiving was set up on Outlook locally(oh NO!) it goes to .pst file and once deleted/corrupt, its gone, unless you have backup.

Are you trying to restore accidentally deleted archive/message :( or "hide" something? :D

If archiving was set up on O365/local Exchange by admin its recoverable(retention policy's apply). Consult with O365 admin.

If archiving was set up on Outlook locally(oh NO!) it goes to .pst file and once deleted/corrupt, its gone, unless you have backup.
    Thanks, IIRc is archived locally I recall seeing a PST file somewhere on the C: drive

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you go to file and account settings, you can see the location of the pst file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Thanks, found them by looking for .pst files, the directory setup is a bit different.

Advertisement