Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi private or public?

Options
  • 14-09-2019 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, we just recently found out that we are pregnant and we are looking for some info on the differences between going public or semi private? Does semi private just really mean less queuing time for appointments? Can anyone tell me how many beds are in a public ward versus a semi private ward? I’ve heard that there could be between 8 and 18 in the public ward!? We are thinking of going with the Coombe as it’s the closest to our home but it’s so hard to know what’s the right option!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Public. Semi p is a waste of money. You'll be on a fairly large ward and with a team rather than a single point of contact consultant going public or semi p. Only fully private gives you any real advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

There's 2 other threads from 3 weeks ago on this topic, you will probably find all your answers in them.

Best of luck, Congratulations..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nellyelephant

Thanks guys for the replies, we are leaning towards public but struggling to find any info on what the experience in the public ward is actually like. Do you know how many beds are usually in the public ward?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Thanks guys for the replies, we are leaning towards public but struggling to find any info on what the experience in the public ward is actually like. Do you know how many beds are usually in the public ward?

Realistically in a big busy hospital, it’s a lottery, and you’re very likely to be in a public ward even if you’re fully private. I wouldn’t let the postnatal ward guide your choice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I went public and was in a 4 bed ward. There were only ever three people max in the room. Really I wouldn’t be forking out loads of money for the difference between a 2 bed and a 6 bed room.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If it's a Dublin hospital, probably 8 or so beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

lazygal wrote: »
    Public. Semi p is a waste of money. You'll be on a fairly large ward and with a team rather than a single point of contact consultant going public or semi p. Only fully private gives you any real advantage.

If all goes well, then absolutely, public is fine. My wife had an emergency c section in public and the aftercare was incredibly poor in public, they’re just so short staffed. That was 4 years ago in the coombe. No. 2 was semi private and is totally different. Of course, each one is different. I know people who’ve had great experiences public and poor semi private - so who knows! If your health insurance covers some of it then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

If all goes well, then absolutely, public is fine. My wife had an emergency c section in public and the aftercare was incredibly poor in public, they’re just so short staffed. That was 4 years ago in the coombe. No. 2 was semi private and is totally different. Of course, each one is different. I know people who’ve had great experiences public and poor semi private - so who knows! If your health insurance covers some of it then go for it.

Have to say I had an emergency c section 2.5 years ago, was a public patient and the aftercare was excellent. I actually ended up in a semi private room with just one other mother. Your entitlement to a private or semi private room actually comes second to the needs of the other patients in the ward at the time. If you're private but a public patient needs the private room more because of complications etc they will get it so as other posters have said, I wouldn't let that swing your decision

Advertisement