Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing machine connected to network

Options
  • 14-09-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I reset all the stats for my router a few weeks ago, and just checked the numbers. I'm able to find a reason for all the net traffic except for 1 IP address. It's not listed in my router's client list and if I ping it, I get 'host is unreachable' but the reply appears to be coming from my PC's IP address. I'm using the same PC for the ping.

Nothing else in the house makes sense as to using this IP, and I believe there are some devices that use 2 IPs, but that response is throwing me off. Is it possible my PC is using 2 IP addresses for some reason? The IP has downloaded about 317 megs in the last 2 weeks, so it's no slouch, but it's not a huge hog either.

Since it's not listed in the router's client list, I can't even disconnect it and see what stops working, but I assume I could block that IP if I wanted to try the nuclear approach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭greasepalm

One thing i would ask if you have open ports on your router and are getting hacked.How good is security on pc and scans done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

arp -a
    If you know IP get MAC from it, might give you better idea what device that is.
    https://macvendors.com/

Reply from your PC IP is normal response to ping with "host is unreachable"
    If you have multiple NIC's and connected you will have multiple IP's
    TV's have WiFi and Ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Where do you see that IP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

arp -a
    If you know IP get MAC from it, might give you better idea what device that is.
    https://macvendors.com/

Reply from your PC IP is normal response to ping with "host is unreachable"
    If you have multiple NIC's and connected you will have multiple IP's
    TV's have WiFi and Ethernet

Tks all, mystery solved. I knew my TV had Ethernet but I'd unplugged it a few months ago due to non-use, however, that spare cable reminded me that I'd used it for a work laptop a few times, and I was able to prove that by plugging in the laptop again. The IP wasn't appearing in the ARP list but that was hardly surprising since it wasn't connected at the time I checked.

At least I know nobody else is on my network.

Advertisement