Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiltegan park, rochestown

Options
  • 14-09-2019 11:13pm

Hi all

Looking at buying there, is it mainly rented or owner occupied. Also it is a decent place to buy, the close proximity to Douglas is appealing to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

My sister-in-law and her family lived there for 10+ years and were very happy there. Only moved because they needed a bigger house for their family size. It's a nice estate (or "park" as Cork people say, which still cracks me up) and I reckon the houses are mostly owner-occupied.

cantalach wrote: »
    My sister-in-law and her family lived there for 10+ years and were very happy there. Only moved because they needed a bigger house for their family size. It's a nice estate (or "park" as Cork people say, which still cracks me up) and I reckon the houses are mostly owner-occupied.

Thanks for that Cantalach.

Looking at buying and its 370k, i was told investors arent interested in those prices as the return isnt as high. I currently live in an estate ('park' :) ) with a fair few rentals that are not well looked after with 4 cars per house and it isnt ideal

Thanks for that Cantalach.

Looking at buying and its 370k, i was told investors arent interested in those prices as the return isnt as high. I currently live in an estate ('park' :) ) with a fair few rentals that are not well looked after with 4 cars per house and it isnt ideal

Take a drive around the estate at 11pm on a Monday night. That'll give you a fair idea how many are owner occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I’ve lived in Cork all my life and I don’t think I’ve ever heard that term used for an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

There are nicer areas in rochestown for that kind of money. Garryduff/Mount Oval to name two.

• Advertisement

corkboy38 wrote: »
    There are nicer areas in rochestown for that kind of money. Garryduff/Mount Oval to name two.

you wont get detached there for that money. Although they are 'link' detached.

Just looking to see if its quiet and decent.

Living in an area where there are loads of people in a few houses and seem to fixing cars constantly and having car wrecks in the drive permanently. That type of situation i want to get away from.

I’ve lived in Cork all my life and I don’t think I’ve ever heard that term used for an estate.

We'd never heard it either 'til we moved here. My daughter has now grown up here and she and her pals say stuff like, "does he live in your park?" But it's not an age thing because our neighbours say it too. Maybe it's peculiar to some parts of town? I know a fella who grew up in Fairhill and he never heard it 'til he moved out to Glounthane. As he said one time, "I'm the only one of my neighbours who lives in an estate - they all live in a park."

Depends on how you define "nicer". Leafier, newer houses? Sure. But a lot of people will put a greater premium on being able to walk to the village and the shopping centres. Or walk home from Barry's, John O's, whatever. Everywhere is a drive from Garryduff and Mount Oval.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Depends on how you define "nicer". Leafier, newer houses? Sure. But a lot of people will put a greater premium on being able to walk to the village and the shopping centres. Or walk home from Barry's, John O's, whatever. Everywhere is a drive from Garryduff and Mount Oval.

Completely agree. I can walk home from all of those places and woudn't trade that for a bigger house in Mount Oval. My friend always has to wait for a bus home from the bus and I can just stroll home.

dory wrote: »
    Completely agree. I can walk home from all of those places and woudn't trade that for a bigger house in Mount Oval. My friend always has to wait for a bus home from the bus and I can just stroll home.

I get that but at the same times it's not exactly in the middle of nowhere. I'd be considered "unfit" but id handily walk from mount oval to Douglas village in 25 mins.

There's a lot to be said for peace and quiet and mount oval offers that.

• Advertisement

I agree with walking etc, I would have thought kiltegan would be peaceful enough. Mount oval is just too expensive, you dont get much for under 400k

Looking at a detached in Lisadell, Maryborough hill for 285k, am i missing something?

Looking at a detached in Lisadell, Maryborough hill for 285k, am i missing something?

There's a lot of rental properties on Maryborough hill.

There's a lot of rental properties on Maryborough hill.

Cheers, probably explains the lower price. Seems cheap for that area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do other people not use it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

TheChizler wrote: »
    Do other people not use it? :confused:

It does ring a vague bell from years ago alright but can't say I have heard it in a long time. Sounds like something an OAP would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lots of roads/estates in Cork are actually called "Parks".
    Just look around Ballinlough.
    Beechwood Park
    Somerton Park
    Pic du Jer Park
    etc. etc.

Had a good walk around the estate tonight, its a decent neighbourhood with a massive green area at the back.

Viewed the house too, shocked to see it has single glazed windows so thats a considerable cost to add on

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

Kiltegan would be good area but I would check to see whether the new plan for upgrading the link to a motorway would affect you as I know a number of residents groups in Rochestown put in objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

I rented a room in the next park over for a while, Delford Drive. I found both Delford and Kiltegan had quite a few people renting, from both chatting to neighbors and seeing the amount of cars in drives and on footpaths etc.... some of the roads were quitw tight and had loads of cars abandoned on footpaths....
    No issues with anyone there whatsoever tho, nice people about the place I found.

What would really put me off buying there is the fact that the houses are really on top of each other. For example, from an upstairs window in delford I could see into a load of gardens/back kitchens of the houses around me, over in Kiltegan and vice versa, when you are out in the garden, or on your drive you can feel the eyes on you!!
    The asking prices are not justified because of this, in my opinion.

Handy access to the link, but in the other direction traffic in Douglas is a nightmare. That was two years ago, so I can only imagine its worse.

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »

What would really put me off buying there is the fact that the houses are really on top of each other. For example, from an upstairs window in delford I could see into a load of gardens/back kitchens of the houses around me, over in Kiltegan and vice versa, when you are out in the garden, or on your drive you can feel the eyes on you!!
    The asking prices are not justified because of this, in my opinion..

But it's in Rochestown!
    You know, on the Rochestown Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

But it's in Rochestown!

:D

But it's in Rochestown!

I would say it's more douglas but who cares. Once it's a decent peaceful estate I dont care

I would say it's more douglas but who cares. Once it's a decent peaceful estate I dont care

You unlikely to get any hassle in that estate, true.

It's on the Rochestown Road but, yes, it is more Douglas than Rochestown. At one time the Rochestown Road was probably the most desirable address in the South Side. Then they went and built those estates!

I don't buy this idea, though, that rented propertys will have more cars.
    Owner occupiers are very likely to have three or four cars in the family. Students need cars now!

Think I am down to kiltegan or ballinlough

Think I am down to kiltegan or ballinlough

Having grown up around Rochestown/Douglas area and gone to school in Ballinlough, I'd choose Ballinlough in a heart beat.

Closer to town, so less car dependent.
    Older, more charming layouts, imo.
    Way less traffic problems.
    Nicer people (crazy generalisation there), less "notions" about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Nicer people (crazy generalisation there), less "notions" about the place.

You hit the nail on the head there, well done.

kub wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head there, well done.

Yeah but it's down getting a link detached in rochestown or a semi detached in ballinlough for the same price.

Both have pros and cons

I have a bad experience with an end of terrace where I am at the moment hearing neughbours noise a lot. So do not want to be in that situation again

The ballinlough house is smaller, but it is ready to move into, have a large south facing garden and as you say much better laid out, close to town etc.

The kiltegan one is larger but requires more upgrades, is link detached, has a smaller garden and is south facing but on the other side of douglas

It's really down to link detached or semi detached. How well is the sound insulation in the ballinlough houses, would the sound travel easy?

It's really down to link detached or semi detached. How well is the sound insulation in the ballinlough houses, would the sound travel easy?

I know several people who live in Ballinlough, in the typical semis. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with noise.
    I've been in many of these houses over the years and I don't ever recall hearing neighbours.

• Advertisement

I know several people who live in Ballinlough, in the typical semis. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with noise.
    I've been in many of these houses over the years and I don't ever recall hearing neighbours.

Cheers for the info, just doing the research before I decide where to really go for

Advertisement