Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiltegan park, rochestown

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cheers for the info, just doing the research before I decide where to really go for

Just to add that I've never lived in one, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I've been looking in Kiltegan park also, be it abroad via google maps.

Location wise, being able to walk in to Douglas for a beer and walk home would be appealing.

Is there likewise in Ballinlough or do you need a bus?
    We're coming home in the next year back to Ireland and pretty much are looking in the same areas as yourself.

The developement in Blackrock re docklands may help long term in that area from an investment and also lifestyle perspective.

let us know how you get on, I'd be interested in hearing what decision you come and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

HillFarmer wrote: »
    I've been looking in Kiltegan park also, be it abroad via google maps.

Location wise, being able to walk in to Douglas for a beer and walk home would be appealing.

Is there likewise in Ballinlough or do you need a bus?
    We're coming home in the next year back to Ireland and pretty much are looking in the same areas as yourself.

There's no real village in Ballinlough like there is in Douglas but there are bars on that road near the church. You'd also be much closer if you wanted to walk into town and you could also walk into Douglas pretty easily from there too.

Word of caution with Ballinlough for anyone buying a house is that subsidence is a major issue in the area. I've known a lot of houses that have had to be underpinned and insurance companies won't cover for that in Ballinlough as it's such a known issue. Just something to ask your surveyor about.

That been said, all being equal I'd probably go for a house in Ballinlough over Kiltegan due to it's proximity to town, closer to well established schools like Eglantine and St Anthony's and the flexibility you have to walk to town or to Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

La.m wrote: »
    There's no real village in Ballinlough like there is in Douglas but there are bars on that road near the church. You'd also be much closer if you wanted to walk into town and you could also walk into Douglas pretty easily from there too.

For sure. Some parts of Ballinlough are closer to Douglas village than Kiltegan. The big difference is that getting to town from anywhere in Ballinlough is much easier becuase you don't have to get through Douglas village. Or walk as you say.
    Word of caution with Ballinlough for anyone buying a house is that subsidence is a major issue in the area.

Subsidence is a major issue right across the whole Southside of Cork, and much of the Northside too. I'm not aware of any evidence that it's particularly bad in Ballinlough. You're not thinking of Bishopstown?
    I've known a lot of houses that have had to be underpinned and insurance companies won't cover for that in Ballinlough as it's such a known issue. Just something to ask your surveyor about.

In the highly unlikely event that your own surveyor somehow forgets about subsidence, the mortgage lender's surveyor sure as Hell won't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ballinlough is a subsidence black spot alright but at this stage I'd say almost every house in the area has been underpinned.

• Advertisement

House I was looking at is underpinned. There is no side extension and now to do so will add more than 25% extra sq meterage onto the house and would have you caught with the new regs so you would have to bring the whole house up to a b2. Suddenly the house feels over priced

Advertisement