Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underated song

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭BOSTIK

Combine Bryan Ferry's voice and a Smiths instrumental b-side and you get this mighty track which went largely unnoticed when released as a single. It spent one week in the UK Top 40, peaking at no. 37 when the Bee Gees were winning again in October 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭PressRun

Nowhere Fast is a Smiths song that doesn't get mentioned enough in discussions about their best tunes. One of Morrissey's wittiest lyrical turns and Marr doing some wizardry on the guitar. Mad to think how young Marr was when he wrote these songs. The band got together, blew up and broke up all by the time he was 23 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

PressRun wrote: »
    Nowhere Fast is a Smiths song that doesn't get mentioned enough in discussions about their best tunes. One of Morrissey's wittiest lyrical turns and Marr doing some wizardry on the guitar. Mad to think how young Marr was when he wrote these songs. The band got together, blew up and broke up all by the time he was 23 years

Great call. They were playing it at the November 84 live shows. Rusholme Ruffians is another gem

Great old tune featuring the vocals of Dolores O'Riordan. Reached no. 41 in June 1994, just as the Cranberries were going global.

These lads were fairly political back in the day. Their most well known song is "Radio Africa", but this is a great song about McCarthyism. Shame it only reached no. 85 in the charts, bit of a coincidence though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

East 17 had a hit called Deep in 1993, great beat and lyrics . Check it out.

That John Waite song is an '80s classic.

This is a bit more obscure, from around 2007. Fine song

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robotno3

BOSTIK wrote: »

An absolutely awesome song, had the pleasure of seeing Martin Gore do a an acoustic version of it a few years ago.

Must be from this gig. Love it!
    https://youtu.be/4CtlfgHKL2A

robotno3 wrote: »
    Must be from this gig. Love it!
    https://youtu.be/4CtlfgHKL2A

Yeah, that's the one. He sang "But Not Tonight" at that gig as well.

The opening track from their most recent album is an absolute gem. Had it been properly promoted it could've reintroduced them to the singles charts, though I guess such matters don't concern them too much these days.

I love it anyway

• Advertisement

I was always partial to this version of Faith No More's 'Caffeine' - a little bit atmospheric tension, a little bit Matrix chase scene.

I doubt I'd ever have heard of this only for The Sopranos. Bloody great tune, and just perfect to augment a magnificent TV series.

This is the follow up single to Berlin's big ball of slush from the Top Gun soundtrack more than 30 years ago. Mercifully it's a totally different kind of track, definitely wouldn't have been much use during an 80s slow set anyway.

It only barely scraped into the UK Top 40 in early 1987. I was one of the ones who helped it into the Irish Top 30 the same year. It's a damn good song.

Good early singles Sex (I’m A) and The Metro

I never heard those other Berlin songs before, probably better known in the US.

Back to 21st century. Fleetwood Mac released Peacekeeper as a single in Spring 2003. It didn't trouble the upper echelons of too many charts, but it's still a fine song. Was originally meant for a Lindsey Buckingham solo album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Not only is this the most underrated song by China Crisis, I think it's their finest: You Did Cut Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zodl-oC6NTI

^^^^

I remember that China Crisis track getting plenty of airplay on Radio 2, Gerry Ryan was a fan.

I always liked this song from the same era, he's a cool guy is Mr Ferry.

Not one of their best known, and not included on the Substance 1987 compilation despite being released that year, but still sounds good.

Not one of their best known, and not included on the Substance 1987 compilation despite being released that year, but still sounds good.

Substance came out in August 1987. Touched By The Hand Of God wasn't released until December of that year. It was recorded for the film Salvation so appeared on the soundtrack of that instead.

Substance is the only album that I bought on all three formats - on the day of release: LP, cassette & CD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Ween are known for their over the top, satirical songs but this is a thing of beauty. Supposedly written about Gene Ween's divorce, it drips with melancholy. It has an absolutely blistering guitar solo as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Oh Mary

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Derfbenlath

We all have our favorites but what for you is a song that seems to fly under the radar yet is incredibly special?

How Soon Is Now by The Smiths:D.

Substance came out in August 1987. Touched By The Hand Of God wasn't released until December of that year. It was recorded for the film Salvation so appeared on the soundtrack of that instead.

Substance is the only album that I bought on all three formats - on the day of release: LP, cassette & CD.

Didn't realise that. I suppose the fact that I didn't buy it for years after clouded the memory.

Don't think a CD Player made it to my house till the mid-90s, couldn't say what the first new CD I bought was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jacquiabbafan

I think one of the most under rated songs would be "I ran" by Flock of Seagulls and "Black and White Town" by the Doves.

Favourite Oasis track, think I'm in a minority but I guess it has some decent competition

Hidden track on the Know Your Enemy album, I really like this. A cover of a fairly obscure song.

The original band - McCarthy - are brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Favourite Oasis track, think I'm in a minority but I guess it has some decent competition

I wouldn't say it's my favourite, but definitely up near the top. And definitely underrated in my experience. I was listening to Definitely Maybe a few months ago – first time in about a decade I’d say. I’d forgotten how good that tune is.
    Going to give it a spin at lunchtime.

For me, I’ve listened to a lot of Modest Mouse. I think the song “Spitting Venom” stands out a mile, but it never gets a mention. I just love the build up of the song – over 8 minutes

Advertisement