Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar powered lights that work

Options
  • 15-09-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for solar powered garden lights that work? Any I’ve seen are really dim. I know that’s probably down to the amount of useable sunlight we get, but there might be a product that works. I get that you won’t get all night out of them, but one that will work for a few hours after sunset. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I got decent brick lights in B&Q. They look like glass bricks, and they light up at night. €6/ea

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I got something like this about 5 or 6 years ago, for just above my garage door.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Security-Lighting-Upgraded-Waterproof/dp/B079NP9N67/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=garage+solar+lights&qid=1568660268&sr=8-23

They are still working well, and provide more than enough light for what I need, which is simply to light the area when you come out to the garage at night.

And mine aren't even as big as these ones. Perhaps a dozen LEDs at most I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 inserthandle

I've had nothing but problems with outdoor LED lights. After about 12 months they seems to stop working. I've had two sensor lights (mains) and one outdoor "lamp" type LED (also mains) go.

I've been looking for a good solar light option to replace the lamp one for ages and can't seem to find anything that lasts and can store a decent amount of power. I'm considering building one from components. Anyone ever tried this? Should be just a matter of picking good 12V DC LED lights and pairing with a good panel and deep cycle battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would you not give one of those I linked to a go?

As I said, mine is still working great after several years, always lights up, so lack of sunshine in Ireland doesn't see to affect them. Normal sunlight must be enough to keep them charged.

Plus they are robust. Mine is above the garage door and regularly gets hit by footballs etc, no problem.

Advertisement