Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some people are at it again ...

Options
  • 15-09-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,439 ✭✭✭✭

So, this picture, among others, has been used in various pieces of Brit bashing over the last while. Some deserved, some not. Dealing with Brexiteers (in particular) is really difficult for many people. Today, they and some British newspapers have been having a go at the RNLI for saving lives in other countries (passports not checked to avail of this service).

490687.jpg

RNLI reponse:
    https://twitter.com/RNLI/status/1173153355897679874

Most RNLI money is spent locally - if they have a collection in Galway, it gets used in Galway. Only 2% is spent outside Britain and Ireland, much of that donated specifically for that purpose. For those claiming to withdraw purported funding, I wonder will they accept an offer for the RNLI to save them? Or will they stand by their principles?

Let's show the Brexiteers that ordinary people are better than them. I've donated €50 to the RNLI. Join me, with whatever you can afford to give. https://rnli.org/support-us/give-money/donate

On a more personal level.

On 23 June 1985, my mum's friend went to work as an A&E ward nurse in the local hospital, what is now CUH. By the end of the day, there were more than 100 bodies in the hospital - passengers that had been on Air India Flight 182 when it was bombed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182 While the plane crashed off the Irish coast, a large part of the rescue effort was carried out by RAF & USAF crews, it being too far for lifeboats - they didn't say 'not our responsibility'. The RNLI has been an international organisation for almost 100 years, serving Britain, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

While people in Ireland might not say the 'Royal' bit out loud & might just refer to 'The RNLI' or 'The Lifeboats', they know of the importance of the work. I used to row. When I visit my nieces in England, I go by ferry. My sister & her family sail - their boat named for my deceased niece. It is the work that is important, not the name, location or person's identity.

Saving lives at sea is everyone's job, everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Brexit and all its bull**** really has unleashed a wave of utter ***** unseen for many a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

ShortLimpEwe-size_restricted.gif

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

In all seriousness to the OP though,

Brexit has seemed to channeled and unleashed the inner British spirit and beliefs of the 1920s

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Hang on a second, what exactly is the link between Brexit and the RNLI, and what are people getting mad about? I'm 100% not clicking a Daily Fail clickbait link and The Times is paywalled O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Hang on a second, what exactly is the link between Brexit and the RNLI, and what are people getting mad about? I'm 100% not clicking a Daily Fail clickbait link and The Times is paywalled O_o

It would have been helpful for the OP to actually include it.

It seems that the RNLI does work abroad, and pro-Brxit people say that the RNLI should spend its time locally instead of abroad.

The counter argument is that it spends most of its time/money locally. That's not really a counter argument, but okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It seems that the RNLI does work abroad, and pro-Brxit people say that the RNLI should spend its time locally instead of abroad.

The counter argument is that it spends most of its time/money locally. That's not really a counter argument, but okay.

British Irish and no doubt continental lifeboat crews have reciprocal arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The daily mail is whinging that the RNLI is laying off 100 workers while also spending money on dirty foreign people with funny skin and different religions. It's finally gone all-in on the aul racism, just like it did in the 1930s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK most of the funding for our Lighthouses comes from the UK because they are funded by fees on shipping and that's were most of it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,439 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Brexiteers and some British newspapers have been having a go at the RNLI for saving lives in other countries.
    Soz. I rearranged the OP. :)

It spends 2% abroad, much of it from donations for that specific purpose.
    But but... How do you know if they are actually kids?
    Well one of the projects was to keep toddlers in creches in Bangladesh, to stop them drowning.
    AFAIK most of the funding for our Lighthouses comes from the UK because they are funded by fees on shipping and that's were most of it goes.
    You are confusing The Commissioners of Irish Lights https://www.irishlights.ie/ (and it's British equivalents) who do lighthouses, with the RNLI, who do lifeboats. Preventative rather than reactive work. CIL funding is topped up by the Irish Government. CIL lighthouses also benefit ships bound for elsewhere, but receive no funding from them, as only habour dues are collected. The arguments over funding seem to be more related to whinges from UK ports losing super-sized container ships to Rotterdam / Antwerp than reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Victor wrote: »
    So, this picture, among others, has been used in various pieces of Brit bashing over the last while. Some deserved, some not. Now, some British newspapers have been having a go at the RNLI for doing work abroa.

490687.jpg

Dealing with Brexiteers (in particular) is really difficult for many people. Today, they've been having a go at the RNLI for saving lives in other countries (passports not checked to avail of this service).

https://twitter.com/RNLI/status/1173153355897679874

Most RNLI money is spent locally - if they have a collection in Galway, it gets used in Galway. Only 2% is spent outside Britain and Ireland, much of that donated specifically for that purpose. For those claiming to withdraw purported funding, I wonder will they accept an offer for the RNLI to save them? Or will they stand by their principles?

Let's show the Brexiteers that ordinary people are better than them. I've donated €50 to the RNLI. Join me, with whatever you can afford to give. https://rnli.org/support-us/give-money/donate

On a more personal level.

On 23 June 1985, my mum's friend went to work as an A&E ward nurse in the local hospital, what is now CUH. By the end of the day, there were more than 100 bodies in the hospital - passengers that had been on Air India Flight 182 when it was bombed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182 While the plane crashed off the Irish coast, a large part of the rescue effort was carried out by RAF & USAF crews, it being too far for lifeboats - they didn't say 'not our responsibility'. The RNLI has been an international organisation for almost 100 years, serving Britain, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

While people in Ireland might not say the 'Royal' bit out loud & might just refer to 'The RNLI' or 'The Lifeboats', they know of the importance of the work. I used to row. When I visit my nieces in England, I go by ferry. My sister & her family sail - their boat named for my deceased niece. It is the work that is important, not the name, location or person's identity.

Saving lives at sea is everyone's job, everywhere.

OP , you might be a little off with your facts regarding the Air India bombing , RAF and RN aircraft supported the recovery of bodies, of the 130 or so bodies recovered ,40 were recovered by the Irish navy, the rest by trawlers and merchant navy craft.USAF were not involved.

Its generally recognised that the Irish navy led the recovery operation with a number of naval personnel repeatedly entering shark infested waters to recover bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,439 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP , you might be a little off with your facts regarding the Air India bombing , RAF and RN aircraft supported the recovery of bodies, of the 130 or so bodies recovered ,40 were recovered by the Irish navy, the rest by trawlers and merchant navy craft.USAF were not involved.

Its generally recognised that the Irish navy led the recovery operation with a number of naval personnel repeatedly entering shark infested waters to recover bodies.
    I have the highest of respect for those involved, but I think you are missing the point I and others have made - there is a international cooperation in search and rescue.

Photo here: https://www.macleans.ca/news/world/a-readers-guide-to-the-air-india-bombing-and-the-bloody-conflict-that-preceded-it/ appears to show a Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion, a type never used by the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Victor wrote: »
    I have the highest of respect for those involved, but I think you are missing the point I and others have made - there is a international cooperation in search and rescue.

Photo here: https://www.macleans.ca/news/world/a-readers-guide-to-the-air-india-bombing-and-the-bloody-conflict-that-preceded-it/ appears to show a Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion, a type never used by the British.

Not at all , I'm just making an observation that the Irish navy were heavily involved in the recovery of bodies in the immediate aftermath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Thread moved to CA.Read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Your post is all over the place and I don't understand it.

Random picture. RNLI. Brexit. Air India.

Twisting my melon man.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Advertisement