Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wired Home Internet

• 15-09-2019 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Could really do with some advice.

Had my house rewired, so while I was at it I got the electrician to install Cat 5e cables.

Before I gave them the go ahead I asked had he experience in doing it and he said yes.

I think I may have been shafted as I just inspected the house this evening and he's wired the livingroom and both bedrooms up, but the cable just comes out of the wall in each room and is coiled up with nothing on the end of them!

I'd no idea where it all goes back to! I rang the electrician and he said it's wired up to a housing unit in the bedroom inside the hotpress!

I had a look but I can't open the unit as no screwdriver.

I'm in no way a techi so I've no idea what he's done. I assumed there'd be ports(or whatever they are called) in each room where I could just plug the ethernet cable in to.

If anyone can help me with this I'd be so grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

It sounds like the cables should be terminated to a patch panel, the hotpress seems like a strange place for it though?

The standard terminating connector on most CAT5/data cable would be the RJ45, but without you specifiing to the electrician what the cabled will be plugged into he cannot make a guess. Its simpe to add RJ45 connector to the ends of CAT just google it, make sure you pay attention to the cable colours, a 5minute video on youtube and you will be a pro.

20 euro crimping tool, rj45 connectors 5 euro? and your sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

If you've paid money for that work it is not acceptable. Sounds like a cowboy to be honest. Why should you have to finish his incompetent installation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you've paid money for that work it is not acceptable. Sounds like a cowboy to be honest. Why should you have to finish his incompetent installation?

Unfair. We have no idea what spec the op asked for

For all we know he just asked for cat 5 to be run. Which it was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

?

Based on what?

The OP admits to being clueless and to not even possessing a screwdriver.

What specs did the OP give for the network layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JSheridan81

Melted wrote: »
    It sounds like the cables should be terminated to a patch panel, the hotpress seems like a strange place for it though?

The standard terminating connector on most CAT5/data cable would be the RJ45, but without you specifiing to the electrician what the cabled will be plugged into he cannot make a guess. Its simpe to add RJ45 connector to the ends of CAT just google it, make sure you pay attention to the cable colours, a 5minute video on youtube and you will be a pro.

20 euro crimping tool, rj45 connectors 5 euro? and your sorted.
    Sorry i I'm not replying correctly, I haven't used this before! The hotpress is in the bedroom and bolier is hid in there also so I don't know why it was put in there! I'm getting Virgin Media installed on Wednesday, so what exactly do I do? As in how do I connect the router up if it is in the hotpress

• Advertisement

Those coiled up unterminated Ethernet are very useful.

Sorry i I'm not replying correctly, I haven't used this before! The hotpress is in the bedroom and bolier is hid in there also so I don't know why it was put in there! I'm getting Virgin Media installed on Wednesday, so what exactly do I do? As in how do I connect the router up if it is in the hotpress

Throw up a few pictures of the installation. Both ends i.e room and hotpress.

lawred2 wrote: »
    ?

Based on what?

The OP admits to being clueless and to not even possessing a screwdriver.

What specs did the OP give for the network layout?
    No screwdriver as I only moved in to the house tonight and still haven't unpacked. I asked for the house to be wired up so that I would have wired Internet in each room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had my house rewired, so while I was at it I got the electrician to install Cat 5e cables.
    I think I may have been shafted as I just inspected the house this evening and he's wired the livingroom and both bedrooms up, but the cable just comes out of the wall in each room and is coiled up with nothing on the end of them!
    You got exactly what you asked for.
    I'd no idea where it all goes back to! I rang the electrician and he said it's wired up to a housing unit in the bedroom inside the hotpress!
    I'm assuming that there is a switch in there.

=-=

Did you ask him to wire it to your router, and did you tell him where your router is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Those coiled up unterminated Ethernet are very useful.

An electrician isn't going to plan out a network installation for him.
    He got what he asked for.

Why did he even get the cable in the first place it's not required for Virgin router.

• Advertisement

I'm getting Virgin Media installed on Wednesday, so what exactly do I do?
    Virgin media box will most likely be installed in your living room.

I'd advise you not to crimp the existing lines, but rather have them connected to an RJ45 wall plates. This will allow you to connect any length of cable to it.

You can then connect the Virgin box to the RJ45 wall plate with an ethernet cable.

listermint wrote: »
    Why did he even get the cable in the first place it's not required for Virgin router.
    I'm going to assume hes had bad experience streaming over WiFi.

No screwdriver as I only moved in to the house tonight and still haven't unpacked. I asked for the house to be wired up so that I would have wired Internet in each room
    listermint wrote: »
    An electrician isn't going to plan out a network installation for him.
    He got what he asked for.

No he didn't get what he asked for if he specified that he wanted "wired internet in each room". The electrician is the supposed professional. He should clarify with the layperson what they want and what that will entail. Leaving unterminated cables poking out of walls is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have you got any pics? Sounds like the cables are all in a switch in the hotpress and then run to each room. You'll need to get Internet to the switch. If Virgin is installed in your sitting room, plug the cable from the wall into the Virgin box. If you only have one cable in each room, you can use a switch to give multiple devices access to the Internet. I'm basing this on a presumption that the cables in each room already have a RJ45. It's not very clear how the electrician has left things.

Why are people assuming there's a switch? He specified that the cables are running to a "housing unit" that requires a screwdriver to open. It sounds like he's wired them into an electrical junction box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd be surprised if there's a patch panel never mind a switch in the hot press. It's a bit subjective but if I asked someone to run ethernet cables everywhere I'd be annoyed if they terminated them as I hadn't asked for it, would have felt gouged.

Easiest thing to do is pick a wall plate you like, and ask him to come back and install if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Are there back boxes or is it just cable sticking out of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

Pics of the "housing unit" and the cable with cable markings would really help

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

I was not thinking right, the ends coiled up in your bedroom you will want to wire them to a plate, before you do that you will want to find where the oposite ends are terminated if at all! check the hot press. there could be a patch panel, i doubt the electrician would have put a switch in there for you, it sounds like you just have the cabels in the HP with no termination....

If so maybe think of terminating all the cables in there to a patch panel? but tbh HP does not sound like a great place if you were to ternimate those cables there. and routers, network storage or witches would over heat in there...

Try and bring the cables to your garage, utility room or attic, thats what I would do.

In the house now. Will post pics shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Could really do with some advice.

Before I gave them the go ahead I asked had he experience in doing it and he said yes.

I had a look but I can't open the unit as no screwdriver.

I'm in no way a techi so I've no idea what he's done. I assumed there'd be ports(or whatever they are called) in each room where I could just plug the ethernet cable in to.

If anyone can help me with this I'd be so grateful!

When you rang him did he say the job was finished?

All this nonsense about you never asked for face plates but just the wires left hanging out of the wall, is not taking into account that it was your electrician who contracted to do the job.

Did you have to specifically state to him that you wanted socket boxes on the ends of the electrical cables?
    I would think not.
    Neither should you expect to have to specify that RJ45 sockets in faceplates be attached to the ends of the ethernet cable.

So yes, if he actually knew what he was doing he would have completed the job.
    That would include not only face plates and sockets in the rooms for ethernet, but also testing each cable run back to the central point, which should NOT be next to a source of heat and water.

All of this should have been discussed with you.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there's a patch panel never mind a switch in the hot press. It's a bit subjective but if I asked someone to run ethernet cables everywhere I'd be annoyed if they terminated them as I hadn't asked for it, would have felt gouged.

Easiest thing to do is pick a wall plate you like, and ask him to come back and install if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Are there back boxes or is it just cable sticking out of the wall?
    it's just cable sticking out of the walls

I'm away with work, asked the other half to send the pics. This is all she's sent. One box is the house alarm, the other is where the cables run back to. Inside it is just the exposed cables.

I'm away with work, asked the other half to send the pics. This is all she's sent. One box is the house alarm, the other is where the cables run back to. Inside it is just the exposed cables.

Find someone who knows what they are doing. He's probably not even left enough slack in there to fit to a patch panel. He's basically run some cable and left it. I'd be looking for my money back if you paid him for anything more than running cable.

Find someone who knows what they are doing. He's probably not even left enough slack in there to fit to a patch panel. He's basically run some cable and left it. I'd be looking for my money back if you paid him for anything more than running cable.
    I specified I wanted wired internet in each bedroom and the livingroom. He told me no worries he knows what he's doing. I myself am not very technical so I assumed he knew what he was doing. Main reason I wanted wired was that my missus can work from home as the spare bedroom is set up as an office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Is there an attic above that hotpress? Assuming walls are all closed up and you dont want to be re-running cables I'd consider putting some keystones on the ends of the cables and attaching a bunch more CAT5e cables and running them up the wall to the attic into a patch panel and/or switch to avoid the heat if there is power up there. I'd suspect as Navi mentioned there is bugger all slack on those. How many rooms/cables should be running back to there?

dam099 wrote: »
    Is there an attic above that hotpress? Assuming walls are all closed up and you dont want to be re-running cables I'd consider putting some keystones on the ends of the cables and attaching a bunch more CAT5e cables and running them up the wall to the attic into a patch panel and/or switch to avoid the heat if there is power up there. I'd suspect as Navi mentioned there is bugger all slack on those. How many rooms/cables should be running back to there?
    5 cables running back to there. Yeah attic is above the hotpress. There is about 1ft of cable coming out of the wall in each location. And a bit of slack on each cable inside that unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You need one of these or similar for that unit :

https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?mancode=TC-P08C5E&manufacturer=TRENDNET

will post more in a few minutes

Sockets for your rooms :

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/cat5e-modules-and-wall-outlets/27-excel-cat5e-utp-rj45-loaded-faceplates.html

A little tool to put the individual wires into the back of the sockets :

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/cat5e-modules-and-wall-outlets/7890-ccs-krone-style-idc-punchdown-tool-5056045700424.html

Patch cables to go between your wall socket and computer, wall socket snd modem etc

( get a few 1 meter ones while you are at it, always useful)

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/rj45-network-cables/41829-cat5e-rj45-patch-cables.html

Have a close look at the tool, one side of it has a tiny cutter to automatically chop off the extra wire

You'll notice the wires are in pairs, green + green/white, orange + orange/white, try to "unwrap" them as little as possible..... see video below

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    Have a close look at the tool, one side of it has a tiny cutter to automatically chop off the extra wire

You'll notice the wires are in pairs, green + green/white, orange + orange/white, try to "unwrap" them as little as possible..... see video below

I will have a look at that now. And cheers buddy. Thanks very much for all your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭davebuck

My advise would be to get someone in to finish the job for you unless you're familiar with cat5/6 wiring and terminations. Tell them exactly your requirements in each room and more importantly the entry point and broadband router location in the house.

davebuck wrote: »
    My advise would be to get someone in to finish the job for you unless you're familiar with cat5/6 wiring and terminations. Tell them exactly your requirements in each room and more importantly the entry point and broadband router location in the house.

I'd agree with this.

Advertisement