Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilt free Prawns

• 16-09-2019 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to buy prawns in Ireland that aren't the product of Central/South America or Asia? They're produced in horrific circumstances determent to the environment and on the back of what is basically slave labour.
    Is it possible to get prawns that are a product of Europe? I'm pretty sure Langoustines or Dublin Bay Prawns are the only ones in Irish waters, but I have never even see them for sale anywhere. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

............and also, the ones from Asia, I saw on a TV programme, they're plumped up to large size by injecting soft silicone into them, production line work.
    Gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Where abouts are you? Can get langoustine / Dublin Bay prawns / scampi / just prawns in
    English Market, fish stalls in farmers markets, and probably a good few fish shops in Cork, but probably not always all the time....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Im in dublin. The prawns in the market are prob from asia or central america though you should always ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

They are available from the fisheries. I buy from Gannet in Galway.
    If you ask your fishmonger they will be able to source them and the more people that ask, the more likely they will be put on the counter for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You can get Dublin Bay Prawns at Dunnes fish counter in Donaghmede, or Wrights fishmongers in Marino or Howth.
    They are €14.95 a kg in Wrights at the moment.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You can get Dublin Bay Prawns at Dunnes fish counter in Donaghmede, or Wrights fishmongers in Marino or Howth.
    They are €14.95 a kg in Wrights at the moment.

I think Dublin Bay Prawns are a species and could come from a number of location. I would still check the source.

I think Dublin Bay Prawns are a species and could come from a number of location. I would still check the source.

They can come from various places around northern Europe, but they are a cold water north Atlantic species, Im pretty sure they're not being farmed either, (Wether that's good or bad is another story)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

If your really lucky you might turn up some brown shrimp, usually buy them when there still kicking..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Markcheese wrote: »
    If your really lucky you might turn up some brown shrimp, usually buy them when there still kicking..

Wow... you arent kidding...
    https://eatmorefish.ie/product/brown-shrimps-live/

Dont think I have seen them in Dublin alas.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Wow... you arent kidding...
    https://eatmorefish.ie/product/brown-shrimps-live/

Dont think I have seen them in Dublin alas.

Gannet/Eat More Fish is a EXCELLENT fresh fish delivery service. Based in Galway but ask them if they cover Dublin.

*I'm not connected but I am a regular in the Ballybane shop*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

My local Dunnes (Swords) did fresh Langoustines/Dublin Bay Prawns for about 18 months or so and they were truly immense; I bought some almost every week. They unfortunately stopped selling them 6/12 months ago and I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can get some at a reasonable price (preferably North Dublin). I see Beshoffs sell them in Howth but expect them to be on the higher end of prices (perhaps I'm wrong), I might not mind paying it once they're good quality however.

Apparently the freezers at the fishing ports are full of prawns at the moment , their usual summer market in the north of spain is very quiet , so the boats aren't out fishing ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's a lad out in Loughshinny selling prawns, Brano I think. Apparently was supplying a lot of restaurants until the trade went tits up.

Advertisement