Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wages to live in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

You don't know what the cost of living is in Dublin?

Do you think groceries, phone bill,electricity etc is going to be much different to what you're paying where you live now?

yes, they are... on a whole, utilities, services and rent are far cheaper than in Dublin from what I can see, even with the crappy pound.

but by how much, is what I'm trying to guage. I've never lived solo in Dublin, so I haven't a clue of what costs etc.. I'd be looking at to do so (like here, we have council tax, water charges etc.. what do I need to pay in Dublin?)

I know people are loving the snide remarks on how I should know, but I don't, as I've never lived in Dublin on my own accord.

Again, it was only a job I was offered, I haven't taken it, and was curious as to what 60k would get me, and what amount would be required to live close to the city. Quite happy once bills, food and maybe 2 or 3 meals out a month. A car would be nice, but quite happy to forgo it for the immediate future. If my GF went back to work, what are childcare costs to factor in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It's funny I mentioned that 60k was a low salary in Dublin and a lot of people questioned it. I really think it is. Maybe it's the circle I hang out with but most of them if not all are on over 75K and some closer to 100K. Can you get by on 60K I'm sure you can but to have a life in Dublin CIty I don't think so

Me and my partner earning 40-45k each renting a one-bed close to the city centre. We live pretty comfortable lives and are saving away and hoping to get a place soon.

60k is not a low salary in Dublin. That's a ridiculous statement. In my group of friends, we're around 30, I know one person on 60k or over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

machaseh wrote: »
    Everybody is saying that 60k is a 'low wage' in Dublin, meanwhile I'm here on only just more than half that :(

You're probably 25 comparing yourself to people in their 30s, 40s and beyond.

60k is definitely a low salary for Dublin when taken as a whole, any professional over 40 will be in and around that ballpark, any over 50 well beyond it. Also remember the older people are not getting squeezed out of Dublin so their piece of the pie population-wise is only growing. Most foreign workers are in tech/software and command high salaries, as do pretty much the entire cohort of professionals with over 10 year's experience. There'll be people in their late 20s/early 30s on 40-55k who will hit the 60k mark in a few years with the right job switches and promotions. The portion of graduates and entry level kids on 25-35k isn't that high and is probably going to dwindle as costs rise.
    Me and my partner earning 40-45k each renting a one-bed close to the city centre. We live pretty comfortable lives and are saving away and hoping to get a place soon.

60k is not a low salary in Dublin. That's a ridiculous statement. In my group of friends, we're around 30, I know one person on 60k or over.

And in 5-10 years you'll all be on over 60k and will see anything below is as nearly unliveable, it's all relative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

You and your partner. That's €80-90k, not €60k. For a person on their own on €60k they'd get a decent room to share ca. €1000, maybe a basic one bed flat ca. €1500, be able to save a decent amount and also have a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Very few people are arguing that E60k is a poor salary to live on for a single person, but the OP's specific circumstances - single earner, supporting a girlfriend and child really go against him.

For illustration, based on taxcalc.ie
      Single Earner on E60K a year, take home: E41,937 Two earners, equal pay, E23.5K a year, take home: E41,560 Married couple, single earner E60K a year, joint assessment, take home: E47,037 Married couple, equal pay, E30k a year, joint assessment, take home: E50,854

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Im asking the guys on the building site here and it turns out none of us are on 65k before overtime.

We are organizing a strike at the minute, thanks lads for letting us know about this.

Half of Dublin is employed in hi viz vests and turns out we arnt getting near the money the security guards on macdonalds and the fella pouring our lattes in insomnia is getting.

I better tell all the nurses and school teachers and Garda as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭sheriff2

BDI wrote: »
    Im asking the guys on the building site here and it turns out none of us are on 65k before overtime.

Before overtime haha Noice one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Mr.S wrote: »
    This thread :eek:

I'm not basing it on my own subjective view but an objective view of just how expensive Dublin is to live in for someone who will be paying rent. €60k is the salary which would have you at a comfortable level with saving, renting a decent place and having a life.

A €50k annual salary is €3k per month.

This would be comfortable for renting a decent room in a shared place €900+; phone, bills and gym/sports club approximately €150. Save €1000 then have €950 leftover. Obviously people could have other expenses like car/travel loan etc.

Advertisement