Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand and south East Asia visa

Options
  • 16-09-2019 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am traveling around south East Asia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Philippines.
    I am flying in and out of Bangkok. I see have 30 days in Thailand without out visa. My return flight will be over 30 days but I won't be staying in Thailand over 30 I will be crossing into Cambodia by land, then on to Vietnam, flying then to Philippines and then flying back to Bangkok to return home. Will have any issues entering Bangkok on the 30 visa expention

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

ccarr wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am traveling around south East Asia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Philippines.
    I am flying in and out of Bangkok. I see have 30 days in Thailand without out visa. My return flight will be over 30 days but I won't be staying in Thailand over 30 I will be crossing into Cambodia by land, then on to Vietnam, flying then to Philippines and then flying back to Bangkok to return home. Will have any issues entering Bangkok on the 30 visa expention
    I had no problems when I done it 2 years ago and 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You will have no problems.

Assuming you are on an Irish Passport...
    On your first flight into Thailand, you will be handed a slip to fill in before landing (TIP: Always carry a pen in your carry-on). Do NOT lose the 2nd part of the slip, this is what you use when departing Thailand. This VOA (Visa on Arrival) will give you 30 days (as you are flying)

When you return on your final (international) flight back into Thailand, again you will be handed the slip. Fill it in like before (and remembering not to lose the 2nd part of the slip), you will now have an additional 30 days in Thailand.

This only becomes an issue if you do it multiple times per year (ie. you're living in Thailand and doing Visa runs).

Another tip: When you land in Thailand, you'll see plenty of these slips at immigration... pick up another few and keep them in your carry-on, just incase they don't hand them out on your final flight. Also, you may make friends on the flights, it's always nice to be able to give them one also (again, incase the airline doesn't hand them out) .... the amount of people i've helped by simply giving them a pen and we've ended up hanging out for a week after!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You will have no problems.

Assuming you are on an Irish Passport...
    On your first flight into Thailand, you will be handed a slip to fill in before landing (TIP: Always carry a pen in your carry-on). Do NOT lose the 2nd part of the slip, this is what you use when departing Thailand. This VOA (Visa on Arrival) will give you 30 days (as you are flying)

When you return on your final (international) flight back into Thailand, again you will be handed the slip. Fill it in like before (and remembering not to lose the 2nd part of the slip), you will now have an additional 30 days in Thailand.

This only becomes an issue if you do it multiple times per year (ie. you're living in Thailand and doing Visa runs).

Another tip: When you land in Thailand, you'll see plenty of these slips at immigration... pick up another few and keep them in your carry-on, just incase they don't hand them out on your final flight. Also, you may make friends on the flights, it's always nice to be able to give them one also (again, incase the airline doesn't hand them out) .... the amount of people i've helped by simply giving them a pen and we've ended up hanging out for a week after!

It's not a Visa on Arrival, it's a 30 day exemption. Visa on Arrival in Thailand is a completely separate entity for a small number of countries.

@ OP - don't mistakenly follow signs for VOA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

It's not a Visa on Arrival, it's a 30 day exemption. Visa on Arrival in Thailand is a completely separate entity for a small number of countries.

Pedantic much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Pedantic much?

It's nothing to do with pedantry. They're different things and VOA is dealt with at a separate area in the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pedantic much?
    It's nothing to do with pedantry. They're different things and VOA is dealt with at a separate area in the airport.

You're right, it's a Visa Exemption. Was typing in a rush and didn't even think of the difference as any time i've needed an actual Visa (ie. Vietnam), i've always had the Visa in advance.

There is a difference between Visa on Arrival and Exemption.

OP: When you arrive, you basically join the big whopper of an Immigration Q :pac:

Advertisement