Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Aerial & Freesat Dish Reccomendations

• 16-09-2019 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

About to install the dish/aerial on a new build, already wired to comms cupboard and distributed to the TV points.

Is there anything to look out for in the aerial/sat dish themselves?

Apart from Quad/Octo Options for the LNB on the dish are there any other options be aware of?

Any brands to recommend or avoid, don't mind paying slightly more for something that will last longer?

Is self install feasible? Can use a compass to align them but would I better getting an installer in?
    We're right on the boundary between 2 different masts according to the Saorview Coverage Checker so reception may be marginal for the aerial at least. Have clear line of sight to S/SE for Sat reception.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Apart from Quad/Octo Options for the LNB on the dish are there any other options be aware of?

Unicable LNB ...... one coax from dish.
    Needs planning internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 neiljung

Unicable LNB ...... one coax from dish.
    Needs planning internally.

So from the Sat dish to the comms cupboard i've got 3 No. small twin core CT100 coaxial cables.

Is there an issue with having the different cores on different cables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

neiljung wrote: »
    So from the Sat dish to the comms cupboard i've got 3 No. small twin core CT100 coaxial cables.

Is there an issue with having the different cores on different cables?

I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have CT100 twin-type cable, that would be the same cable as 2 standard CT100 single type cables or are you using the smaller 0.65mm shotgun cable?

Do you plan to install Sky at any point in the future? If so the new SkyQ receiver will require a 2 cable direct connection to a specific type of LNB on the dish.

How may rooms do you plan to have a satellite feed and aerial feed?

Another option is a centrally located multiswitch fed from a 4 output quattro LNB on the dish with the number of outputs you require to feed each TV point. The aerial feed can be combined with the sat feed via the multiswitch and split again at the TV points.

Self install is certainly possible if you want a project, you'll have to do your research as it not simply pointing the dish in the general direction of the satellite like a terrestrial aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 neiljung

The Cush wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean here, if you have CT100 twin-type cable, that would be the same cable as 2 standard CT100 single type cables or are you using the smaller 0.65mm shotgun cable?

Do you plan to install Sky at any point in the future? If so the new SkyQ receiver will require a 2 cable direct connection to a specific type of LNB on the dish.

How may rooms do you plan to have a satellite feed and aerial feed?

Another option is a centrally located multiswitch fed from a 4 output quattro LNB on the dish with the number of outputs you require to feed each TV point. The aerial feed can be combined with the sat feed via the multiswitch and split again at the TV points.

Self install is certainly possible if you want a project, you'll have to do your research as it not simply pointing the dish in the general direction of the satellite like a terrestrial aerial.

Thanks, just didn't understand what you mean by unicable?
    There's 3 sets of 2 core cable, that's 2 sets of 2 core with one spare set. No intention for Sky but would like to watch and record seperately on Freesat, potentially across 2 or 3 set top boxes

All cables run to a cabinet where I plan to install a switch alright just looking to get one TV up and running for now.

I'm happy with the internal wiring just looking for direction on makes and models of aerials and sat dishes really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There's 3 sets of 2 core cable, that's 2 sets of 2 core with one spare set. No intention for Sky but would like to watch and record seperately on Freesat, potentially across 2 or 3 set top boxes

All cables run to a cabinet where I plan to install a switch alright just looking to get one TV up and running for now.

Can't recommend specific aerials/dishes/multiswitches etc, have a look at Irish sites like freetv.ie or satworld.ie.

If you're going with the multiswitch only 4 cables required from the dish to the switch. The type of switch you choose will depend on which LNB you install - quad or quattro, some multiswitches work with both types of LNB.

If you're going with a single TV install for now a standard quad LNB will do, simply join the 2 cables from the LNB to the 2 cables going to the main TV point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_cable_distribution

Advertisement