Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to DCM 2019

Options
  • 16-09-2019 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi folks

I have a minor calf tear but haven't been able to run for 2 weeks so looking at alternatives like:

San Sebastian - Sunday, November 24, 2019, or
    Malaga - Sunday Dec 15th 2019
    Pisa, Italy - Sunday Dec 15th 2019 (temperatures look good)
    Seville - Feb 23rd 2020

Any advice in terms of these options, course profile, potential temperature, travel etc? Or any other potential alternatives Nov, Dec or Jan?

I haven't given up on Dublin yet but need to get off the bike and back in the runners soon, no 20 milers done yet, had got up to 18.
    I am hoping to get a Boston Q time of around 3.15.

appreciate it, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

jconn wrote: »
    Hi folks

I have a minor calf tear but haven't been able to run for 2 weeks so looking at alternatives like:

San Sebastian - Sunday, November 24, 2019, or
    Malaga - Sunday Dec 15th 2019
    Seville Feb 23rd 2020

Any advice in terms of these two, course profile, potential temperature, travel etc? Or any other potential alternatives Nov, Dec or Jan?

I haven't given up on Dublin yet but need to get off the bike and back in the runners soon, no 20 milers done yet, had got up to 18.
    I am hoping to get a Boston Q time of around 3.15.

appreciate it, thanks

I was in Seville for the marathon this year (injury forced me to withdraw) and it was very very hot. Course and city are lovely, but training in winter and hitting that weather would end you!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

I was in Seville for the marathon this year (injury forced me to withdraw) and it was very very hot. Course and city are lovely, but training in winter and hitting that weather would end you!
    thanks, yep to consider Seville I would be hoping for temps <15 degs, so that could be out so!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

I was in a similar situation last year and didn’t make DCM. I entered Malaga but then couldn’t make that either so ended up doing Seville. Malaga is a much smaller field I think but is also flat and probably a bit cooler temperatures. Seville is very flat and lovely city and a great marathon but I found the last few miles tough in the heat. You are faster than me though so you might avoid the worst of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I dine the San Sebastián in 2017, and really enjoyed it, a flat course , 2 laps of a half marathon course.
    Great if you have supporters as the course loops back throw the city do they only have to move a little to see you at several intervals.
    Weather wise it was really good. Not to warm. Would highly recommend it.
    Might even do it this year after Dublin.

https://strava.app.link/7VMzCopZa0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I was in Valencia last year in early December. Flew to Madrid and train to Valencia. Lovely race and city. Pancake flat, loads of pacers and a big bag of oranges at the end. PB too

• Advertisement

Just a quick look online and San Sebastian marathon looks hilly enough with 817m Elevation gain? https://www.strava.com/running_races/361

Dublin seems to be only around 335m

Looks like Pisa will be my preferred choice if Dublin doesnt work out, based on potential temperatures, ease of access with Ryanair flights and course profile which looks very flat. I cant find many reviews only but here's' one http://runningonaraisin.blogspot.com/2013/12/pisa-marathon-2013.html

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

jconn wrote: »
    Just a quick look online and San Sebastian marathon looks hilly enough with 817m Elevation gain? https://www.strava.com/running_races/361

Dublin seems to be only around 335m

I’ve done San Sebastian twice and my current PB is from there in 2015. It’s pancake flat - the gps of the route is easily skewed by cliff like walls alongside some of the roads.

Fast race full of fast runners with pace groups starting at 2:30.

You need 2 flights to get there though via Madrid or Barcelona.

Like you I ran it as a backup following injury in 2013 but it didn’t go so well. Be careful about putting yourself under more pressure by making more plans - heal up first.

I’ve done San Sebastian twice and my current PB is from there in 2015. It’s pancake flat - the gps of the route is easily skewed by cliff like walls alongside some of the roads.

Fast race full of fast runners with pace groups starting at 2:30.

You need 2 flights to get there though via Madrid or Barcelona.

Like you I ran it as a backup following injury in 2013 but it didn’t go so well. Be careful about putting yourself under more pressure by making more plans - heal up first.

1 flight to Bilbao or biarritz will do, no need for two flights. I’ve been there a dozen times.

Have you made that trip end of November?

There’s no direct flights to Biarritz from Dublin that time of year. Only recently have Aer Lingus extended their service to Bilbao into the winter schedule so that could be an option - I was looking earlier in the year at this but couldn’t find public transport that would get me to Bilbao airport in time to make the flight Monday morning so I reckoned 2 flights is easier.

• Advertisement

Have you made that trip end of November?

There’s no direct flights to Biarritz from Dublin that time of year. Only recently have Aer Lingus extended their service to Bilbao into the winter schedule so that could be an option - I was looking earlier in the year at this but couldn’t find public transport that would get me to Bilbao airport in time to make the flight Monday morning so I reckoned 2 flights is easier.

I flew to Bilbao for the marathon in 2017. I actually flew with BA from London as I was coming straight from a work trip to Malaysia, but the rest of the group arrived from Dublin later that day.

In Winter I’ve flown via London to Santander. Or gotten a train from Bordeaux

The busses are frequent enough or taxis can be negotiated.

https://www.pesa.net/pesa/en/horarios

First bus leaves at 6:30 and gets in at 7:45. That’s plenty of time for the 10:45 flight

The 8:30 bus would be grand too

Personally I’d stay till Tuesday

In 2017 Aer Lingus kept Bilbao route on for winter - wasn’t an option for me in 2013/2015. Probably looks like the handiest way alright. Didn’t realise the buses left so early - it’s nearly as fast as getting to San Seb airport.

I wouldn’t get a pass to stay another day!
    My autumn marathon is this weekend in Minneapolis - leave on Friday after lunch and be home for breakfast Monday morning - less than 48hrs in USA but enough time for rodeo, marathon and beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Lanzarote have a full and half early December ran the half route recently you couldnt get any flatter..
    https://www.lanzaroteinternationalmarathon.com/
    Costa Teguise is the start for the Marathon (out and back course)...Lovely spot..
    Sands beach hotel is the closest hotel to the start line for the full and its the finish line for all 3 distances (literally outside the front door)and is very nice base.

Advertisement