Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to reroute an outside drain

Options
  • 16-09-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

We have a standard terraced house with rear extension. We want to knock the extension and make it double story but can't get planning as the original extension was built over a drain and Irish Water have to right to refuse planning as it's their drain.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience of this. Our 2 options are to

1: Reroute the drain
    2: Build around it.

To build around it would involve coming in around 2mx1.5m which is a lot of space we could be doing with.

Ideally we would reroute it which I imagine physically wouldn't be too difficult/expensive once the ground is dug up anyeay but suspect we'd need Irish water along to verify it etc.

Any help/advice/past experience would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Did a hole, find the pipe, confirm the depth below ground level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Do you have to inform them before doing the work?
    I know a few builders who sidestepped bureaucracy by doing work on a friday evening and irish water were none the wiser. One chap i know genunely didnt know a pipe went under his land when he damaged it while digging and didn't even get a bill for it. Worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

BryanF wrote: »
    Did a hole, find the pipe, confirm the depth below ground level

The depth itself isn't that important as we'll be digging down for foundations anyway. It's the cost of dealing with Irish water as I thought they may insist on inspecting it (to which they charge a fee) or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Old Gill wrote: »
    We have a standard terraced house with rear extension. We want to knock the extension and make it double story but can't get planning as the original extension was built over a drain and Irish Water have to right to refuse planning as it's their drain.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience of this. Our 2 options are to

1: Reroute the drain
    2: Build around it.

To build around it would involve coming in around 2mx1.5m which is a lot of space we could be doing with.

Ideally we would reroute it which I imagine physically wouldn't be too difficult/expensive once the ground is dug up anyeay but suspect we'd need Irish water along to verify it etc.

Any help/advice/past experience would be very much appreciated

What type of drain is it - is it for surface water?

Advertisement