Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a home system

Options
  • 16-09-2019 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to install 2 cameras externally to house, one at the front one at the rear
    The one at the front is under a canopy and sheltered but the one at the rear is exposed
    However one at front needs to be weatherproof in case I move it higher

Would prefer something with a long battery life if possible, decent quality, good for night vision, cloud storage, usual

Also if the bundle came with 1 internal camera it would be a bonus

Only one I have reviewed so far is the Arlo Pro 2, seems to tick a lot of boxes apart from the cost but I guess you get what you pay for?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Personally I like the Nest.
    It ticks all of the boxes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the first question is, can you get power to where the cameras are going? This makes a big difference, generally powered cameras are better then battery only, so that makes a difference.

Battery only models are basically various Arlo systems and Blink.

If you can get power to the location of the cameras, then a whole range of options open up and they tend to perform better. Nest as 2011 mentions seem to be very good, but relatively expensive. I've got Logitech Circle 2 cameras and I like them. Yi cameras, TP Link Kasa Cameras, Ring cameras, Netatmo, etc.

Which is best depends on budget, features you want, willing to pay a subscription, etc.

And of course there is then your more traditional CCTV type camera systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Only one I have reviewed so far is the Arlo Pro 2, seems to tick a lot of boxes apart from the cost but I guess you get what you pay for?

I put the arlo system up, granted it was the first gen worked very well but battery changes are a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

no chance to get power where they are being mounted with a lot of grief and I have too many other home DIY projects going on that I don't have that kind of time to put into it

Will have to be battery units

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Building a house shortly.

Thinking about 5 cameras between front and rear, and then your regular alarm features around the house.

Also planning for electric gates with a camera on that too - one where you can buzz someone in from the house.

I know feck all about this stuff but I'd greatly appreciate pointers on what might be good options to research.

• Advertisement
Advertisement