Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef strike II what's a fair base price for the Autumn for R=3= steers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

What f'n money?

There will be a price increase. That money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

There will be a price increase. That money.

There will definitely be a price increase. That's guaranteed. It will have nothing to do with what's going on atm or over the past couple of days. One thing that always holds true is that people who use the phrase greater good are either masochists or a long way from the suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There will definitely be a price increase. That's guaranteed. It will have nothing to do with what's going on atm or over the past couple of days.

It always goes in cycles, next year Rodney we'll be millionaires,
    There's a huge heave against beef at the moment and climate change and Brexit won't help. Farmers will have to look at diversifying and not depend on beef so much, The majority of beef farmers have good entitlements but that could end very quick, the lucky ones will be the farmers with jobs,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

wrangler wrote: »
    It always goes in cycles, next year Rodney we'll be millionaires,
    There's a huge heave against beef at the moment and climate change and Brexit won't help. Farmers will have to look at diversifying and not depend on beef so much, The majority of beef farmers have good entitlements but that could end very quick, the lucky ones will be the farmers with jobs,

Getting sick of putting up links, but I reckon if it was looked into Irish factories aren’t even trying to get beef into China, it would mean a shortage in European markets and lead to increased prices, if bord bia wasn’t able to forward sell a 100k plus of frozen beef into China for summer 2020 at anything less then a guaranteed base price of 4 euro for the farmer and a good margin for the factory id be dumbfounded

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/18/china-auction-pork-reserves

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Getting sick of putting up links, but I reckon if it was looked into Irish factories aren’t even trying to get beef into China, it would mean a shortage in European markets and lead to increased prices, if bord bia wasn’t able to forward sell a 100k plus of frozen beef into China for summer 2020 at anything less then a guaranteed base price of 4 euro for the farmer and a good margin for the factory id be dumbfounded

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/18/china-auction-pork-reserves

I know a factory manager that's in China at the moment and it's not for his holidays, there's no point in guessing what factories do., farmers haven't clue what it takes to sell product,
    Ask your local wool buyer what china is like to deal with

• Advertisement

There will definitely be a price increase. That's guaranteed. It will have nothing to do with what's going on atm or over the past couple of days. One thing that always holds true is that people who use the phrase greater good are either masochists or a long way from the suffering.

€3.75 as a base being quoted by one company to open on Monday morning.

Considering all companies have outlets open atm I'll believe that when I see it. That said 3.50 plus 20c qa under 30 months isn't far off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

From the couple plants that did reopen, what did they open with for a base price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Where is that memory ??
    Pm if you like

Considering all companies have outlets open atm I'll believe that when I see it. That said 3.50 plus 20c qa under 30 months isn't far off it.

weren't heifers at 355 when protests started so plus 20c would be the 3.75,
    I'm sure that's for R 3 grades.
    and will the 20c be given considering the protests aren't stood down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When most people quote a base they quote the steer base. The heifer base is 10 above the steer base always. If a base of 3.5 is quoted as by Freedom it the steer base. Except for the protest we all be at somewhere in the region of 3.0-3.3/kg at present. It my opinion as factories open they will quote ordinary suppliers 3.45 and maybe above that. I do not think any factory will quote below that in the foreseeable future. I think fierce pressure will be applied to processors over the next while to get the base up to 3.7/kg.

Processors have a bigger issue now. No sane person will start finishing cattle without a guarantee of a 4/kg base at Christmas. Lads may polish off a few forwards store in hand but to achieve a kill above 25K from the new Year on the processors will have to do something to encourage ordinary Farmer Joe to finish his pen of bullocks or Heifers. Ya the bigger guy will start finishing as he will get a price guarantee but now we need a price guarantee regarding price post Christmas. Rations are too expensive to be gambling on the hoof like last year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Brave martyrs' on the news at one when report live from kilbeggan.all with their backs to the camera afraid to show their faces in case they might be seen.#show of strength!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yes l got the 3.55 before strike for heifers +12c. But first time that had 3 heifers out of bunch of 8 that they graded 4+. Pissed that l got done on them. Never had cont go over before and not a handful of nuts in them.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Brave martyrs' on the news at one when report live from kilbeggan.all with their backs to the camera afraid to show their faces in case they might be seen.#show of strength!

Why give the processors a face to get an injunction with. Too many lads thinking this is over when it is not. I accepted the majority vote locally not happy about it and it is opening again but everybody makes there own choice.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭farmertipp

When most people quote a base they quote the steer base. The heifer base is 10 above the steer base always. If a base of 3.5 is quoted as by Freedom it the steer base. Except for the protest we all be at somewhere in the region of 3.0-3.3/kg at present. It my opinion as factories open they will quote ordinary suppliers 3.45 and maybe above that. I do not think any factory will quote below that in the foreseeable future. I think fierce pressure will be applied to processors over the next while to get the base up to 3.7/kg.

Processors have a bigger issue now. No sane person will start finishing cattle without a guarantee of a 4/kg base at Christmas. Lads may polish off a few forwards store in hand but to achieve a kill above 25K from the new Year on the processors will have to do something to encourage ordinary Farmer Joe to finish his pen of bullocks or Heifers. Ya the bigger guy will start finishing as he will get a price guarantee but now we need a price guarantee regarding price post Christmas. Rations are too expensive to be gambling on the hoof like last year.

you will get no guarantee from factories. a leopard does not change his spots.
    They have conceded nothing and won't start now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes l got the 3.55 before strike for heifers +12c. But first time that had 3 heifers out of bunch of 8 that they graded 4+. Pissed that l got done on them. Never had cont go over before and not a handful of nuts in them.

Ah shir your land must be too good to be having them over fat😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

When we'd hold a protest, the begrudgers would tell us the price would be going up but for the protest and like you I'be saying it'd have gone down.
    ..... and no one would have a clue anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

From the couple plants that did reopen, what did they open with for a base price?

3.45 for bullocks afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’ll believe that when I see it. Larry won’t be having that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cavanjack wrote: »

I’ll believe that when I see it. Larry won’t be having that.
    I got a call from a procurement manager today looking for Hereford and Angus. Couldn't believe thought they be out the gate with them.

kk.man wrote: »
    I got a call from a procurement manager today looking for Hereford and Angus. Couldn't believe thought they be out the gate with them.

For some reason HE and AA cattle seem to be scarce. This year cattle came off grass fast and theses would have been the fastest to finish. I have a bunch myself and they are ok until mid October age wide and fat wise. I sit on them another while

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They more than likely didn't go over.
    Grading means nothing at this stage.

It's different every time.

If any other industry was screwing with its machines like that There would be an outcry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Any word on price.

mf240 wrote: »

Any word on price.
    3.45 base

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

3.45 base
    Ye I got the same last night, but they can hang on for another wee while.. but with the 30 cent bonus it wouldn't be to bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

For some reason HE and AA cattle seem to be scarce. This year cattle came off grass fast and theses would have been the fastest to finish. I have a bunch myself and they are ok until mid October age wide and fat wise. I sit on them another while

Exporters take a lot as calves I reckon, they did this year anyway

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    3.45 base
    Ye I got the same last night, but they can hang on for another wee while.. but with the 30 cent bonus it wouldn't be to bad...
    That bonus won't be paid until all the plants are clear of protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

I suppose it’s just a coincidence that they’ll all quote the same base price now, wouldn’t have anything to do with a cartel or one man dictating to everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Probably untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

When we'd hold a protest, the begrudgers would tell us the price would be going up but for the protest and like you I'be saying it'd have gone down.
    ..... and no one would have a clue anyway :D

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Athleague ???

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Kepak watergrasshill is finished up. Heard Dawn charleville is finished too.
    3:50 base for bullocks according to agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

kepak Ennis stood down this evening , I hope some good has came from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

lab man wrote: »
    kepak Ennis stood down this evening , I hope some good has came from it

I think the base will hover around 3:50 for a while ... nothing more will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Cahir is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Base price wrote: »

Apparently they got the gerrymandering completed at grannagh and held a meeting there last night. Didn't hear a result but it was a foregone conclusion as I understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

3.45 base

What did you tell him you'd accept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Hopefully he said 4.25....anywhere in the middle then would do!

3.45 base

I didn't send them as I've time on my side.

Are you not nervous of Brexit, do you think there'll be something organised before then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

3.45 base

The thing is all farmers have time on their side. They are blinded by the regulations set by some one else. Sell them when you get what you want for them. Other than that sit back. Loads of old.lads around here kept their weanlings last autumn got a way better price this spring.

dzer2 wrote: »
    The thing is all farmers have time on their side. They are blinded by the regulations set by some one else. Sell them when you get what you want for them. Other than that sit back. Loads of old.lads around here kept their weanlings last autumn got a way better price this spring.

Very different customer in spring, a lot of them just want four legged lawnmowers at any price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

dzer2 wrote: »

we turn some autumn bought in weanlings each spring,

when everything is added up there's sfa out of keeping them and that's allowing for good weight gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Are you not nervous of Brexit, do you think there'll be something organised before then

I was at a presentation last night and Brexit was one of the chief topics.

Seeing as there's little chance of Britain being able to agree a satisfactory exit in the time remaining and that an election is fairly likely in the very short term, an extension seems likely.

And probably an Irish backstop, in all but name, agreed by the time the extension is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No Deal means key segments of the British economy are wiped out.

The 2 hardest hit from WTO rules will be Auto and Agri, 1.5mn jobs in Britain.

Just from those 2 small sectors, nevermind everything else that will be affected to one degree or another.

A deal will be done.

Massive numbers here in Rathdowney where it all started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Massive numbers here in Rathdowney where it all started.

Have they nothing better to do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement