Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare or Killarney as a base for Killarney national park?

Options
  • 16-09-2019 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I'm not from Kerry and have only passed through both towns so know feck all about them. Apparently they're both nice, and they're both close enough to the national park. Kenmare being just a bit further but not absolutely miles out of the way.

The plan is to spend the day doing a bit of a cycle and sight seeing in the park, then have a meal and a few pints at night.

I would like a bit of a touristy buzz because my missus is not from Ireland. I'm guessing there'd be more of a buzz in Killarney as it's bigger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah Killarney ticks all your boxes. Can cycle from town centre and all around the park in a leisurely couple of hours. Lots of great options for food, drink and music too.

I like Kenmare but any time I've been there recently it's been totally dead and not much happening. Also more awkward to get to a cycle route from Kenmare and wouldn't be very leisurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

One side of killarney is pretty much in the national park... Different sort of buzz between the 2 places.. Both cool,
    I think id probably go with killarney, just for ease of access to the park...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

More of a buzz in Killarney but some great restaurant in Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

OK.. Killarney it is so! I guess I'll leave Kenmare for the Sunday. Take a trip through the town on the way home for lunch and some mild sight seeing around the town.

By the way, my airbnb doesn't have parking. What's my best option for parking if I want to leave the car during the day and go cycling in the park? I'll be there on Saturday.

• Advertisement

By the way, my airbnb doesn't have parking. What's my best option for parking if I want to leave the car during the day and go cycling in the park? I'll be there on Saturday.

Where is your Airbnb and what part of the park are you hoping to explore? Main entrance across from the cathedral and down to Ross castle or out the muckross road and explore around muckross house. Both leisurely cycles but a bit of a pain to do a return cycle trip if you have to leave the car in one location

dobman88 wrote: »
    Where is your Airbnb and what part of the park are you hoping to explore? Main entrance across from the cathedral and down to Ross castle or out the muckross road and explore around muckross house. Both leisurely cycles but a bit of a pain to do a return cycle trip if you have to leave the car in one location

Staying on st Anne's road near the top of high street.

To be honest I have absolutely no idea what part of the park to explore. I thought there was just one cycling trail. I guess now I also have to ask for cycle route recommendations. Which one has the best scenery etc?

This was the missuses idea. But all the planning is left up to me. *Roll eyes emoticon*

Staying on st Anne's road near the top of high street.

To be honest I have absolutely no idea what part of the park to explore. I thought there was just one cycling trail. I guess now I also have to ask for cycle route recommendations. Which one has the best scenery etc?

This was the missuses idea. But all the planning is left up to me. *Roll eyes emoticon*

Ok, no parking is a pain.

Ross Castle is easy. Best thing to do is enter from the cathedral, there is a free car park opposite the cathedral and across the road from the park entrance, cycle through the park to Ross castle along the lake shore. That's quite a handy route and wouldn't take long to cycle at all. Also fairly basic scenery just looking out onto the lakes and islands. There are various sign posts to help you on your route and it's very straight forward to you wouldnt get lost.

Muckross house and torc waterfall. Park in the Gleneagle car park on Muckross Road, its massive. Alternatively, just drive past the hotel for almost 2km and there is a little car park on the left with an entrance into the park across from it, that entrance will take you right down to the front of Muckross House and the view from the top of the lane of the house is stunning, cycle past Muckross house and head through the park to Torc Waterfall which is just in off the road, probably 100metres or so, there are steps you can climb, few handy ones near the waterfall give some nice views.

They're 2 of my favourite routes and both pretty handy for a leisurely cycle.

Advertisement