Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cloud vps ram

Options
  • 16-09-2019 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Would a cloud vps with 1 CPU and 1GB ram suffice for a busy blog ?

What would more ram such as 2GB do for my blog ? Would the site run faster then with 1GB ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you are talking about a WordPress site I would think that it is sufficient though you should ensure that the theme is good (and not a bloated one) and that you use some caching (I use WP Super Cache to create static html files).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My blog will have dynamic content, a search engine, people will also be able to login and out. It will be a wordpress theme yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

OSI wrote: »
    Very difficult to say without understand the full details, but 1GB would be a tight squeeze for pretty much anything these days. Your best option is to monitor the RAM usage, cache usage and memory pressure over the course of your busiest periods and see what direction they point you in.

If the ram maxes out when the blog is in use, what are the physical symptoms ? Will the site freeze or just slow down a lot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

If the ram maxes out when the blog is in use, what are the physical symptoms ? Will the site freeze or just slow down a lot ?

Most of the OpenVZ or LXC container based VPSs come with "swap" memory, so if you exceed your allocation of RAM, it "swaps" out to the "swap file".

So your server probably won't crash due to OOM, it'll just run poorly.

Incidentally I do not understand why anybody would run a Wordpress blog nowadays. Far too much maintenance hassle. I moved my twenty year old blog to https://gohugo.io/ recently, it could get slashdotted on a server with 128Mb of RAM without issue if you had the network capacity. Static websites are great.

Also, most Hugo websites are hosted for free by github, so simply git push and you're done.

Niall

Advertisement