Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HG659 to Draytek

• 17-09-2019 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Some help if anyone can, trying to replace our Vodafone HG659 with a Draytek V130 modem.

I've set the username\password ok and changed the Vlan to 10 on the Draytek.

However when i try to use the Draytek im getting a fraction of the speeds i was getting whilst using the Vodafone Router. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Hi,
    ... when i try to use the Draytek im getting a fraction of the speeds i was getting whilst using the Vodafone Router...

Which fraction?
    Are you comparing speeds plugging the same device directly into the routers?
    After doing that, double check your wireless settings and make sure they are as close as possible to each other. There are a lot of options available which will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

niallb wrote: »
    Which fraction?
    Are you comparing speeds plugging the same device directly into the routers?
    After doing that, double check your wireless settings and make sure they are as close as possible to each other. There are a lot of options available which will make a difference.

Sorry, to be more clear, im passing PPPoE details through from my firewall to the Draytek.

My Laptop plugged into LAN is getting approx. 40mb down 15up on speedtest while using Vodafone router, when draytek unit is in, laptop getting approx. 5 down 2 up.

What speed is your Vodafone package supposed to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Aren't Draytek routers known for being slow? iirc when I researched a similar issue I found an article (I'll try and find again) that said something about NAT having a speed restriction of about 50Mbps but can't remember the router model.

What speed is your Vodafone package supposed to be?

80mb i believe...

• Advertisement

What OS is the firewall running?

What OS is the firewall running?

Its a FortiGate 81E

Might be worth looking at the firmware version on the Draytek too.
    https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

It should be 3.8.4 ideally, but it's interesting that there are two versions of that with different modem firmwares.
    Might get a different result with the other one. While you're in there make sure there are no load balancing options turned on.

Any chance you can bypass the Fortigate with a PPPoE client on the laptop itself just for testing?
    Does the Draytek list that it has connected at the same sync speed as the original modem?

Thanks Niall i've already tried both Firmware versions with the same result.....
    I'll take a look into the other options you suggest.

Might be worth looking at the firmware version on the Draytek too.
    https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

It should be 3.8.4 ideally, but it's interesting that there are two versions of that with different modem firmwares.
    Might get a different result with the other one. While you're in there make sure there are no load balancing options turned on.

Any chance you can bypass the Fortigate with a PPPoE client on the laptop itself just for testing?
    Does the Draytek list that it has connected at the same sync speed as the original modem?

Advertisement