Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mollyb & ALC's Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

You ever just pair songs together for no discernible reason? Whenever I hear that They Might Be Giants song, I always think of this one along with it. I don't really know why:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    It's really the other way around, he's playing the song and I'm plugging my ears and loudly humming the american national anthem. A pretty typical Saturday night here. I'll get him to post Die Antword next to properly share the misery of his musical tastes.

So, you like the star spangled banner then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

quickbeam wrote: »
    ever just pair songs together for no discernible reason? Whenever I hear that They Might Be Giants song, I always think of this one along with it. I don't really know why:

Is it because they're fab songs that everyone in the car knows 60% of the words to but sings 100% of with their voices turned up to 11 because they're ****ing AWESOME?
    sKeith wrote: »
    So, you like the star spangled banner then.

Reckon she Whitney's it in the shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Into the final top 5 now folks:

5th Place – Feeder - Buck Rogers

Molly: Fantastic festival song. I could totally bop out to this. Great memories of this song and it’s a real feel good tune.

ALC: This is the kinda song I thought that everyone would pick for the Song to Wake Up To category. I’ve never got to see Feeder live, but would love to. Anyway, class song.

Scores:
    Molly: 11/14
    ALC: 9/14

10 points to:
    Banjo

To be clear : you said festival song - this song is the sound of festivals. I don't like feeder but I've fallen asleep during their show at least 3 times. Festivals!

Still kinda like the song. Playa playa playa playa is driving out Daaaaayve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭AnLachaCorcra

4th Place – The Saw Doctors - I useta Love Her

Molly: Who in their right mind…………can deny the catchiness of this song? Another great submission!! I remember singing this as a kid in my cousin’s kitchen and thinking it was great craic coz you got to say ‘ass’ and mammy couldn’t slap me for cursing. The innocence! No singing ability required to sing this song at all. So brilliant.

ALC: This makes me think of scullin pints of cider in the sunshine.

Scores:
    Molly: 10/14
    ALC: 12/14

11 points to:
    Micksjaguar

So we’re into the final 3 places with G&R and Homer still in the running to take the top spot. Who will it be???

giphy.gif

So we’re into the final 3 places with G&R and Homer still in the running to take the top spot. Who will it be???

giphy.gif

I'll be honest, I haven't counted up the scores, so I'm on tenterhooks here :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

If it's G&R it will give them top kudos going into the massive Walrus they have planned. But Homer can pick a tune too. :)

3rd Place – Arcade Fire - Wake Up

Molly: Such great songs submitted in this category. An absolute belter. Proper singalong song with a little dance party at the end, amazing live. Saw these guys at EP in 2005 and they absolutely rocked the tent. Incredible.

ALC: It’s hard to score songs like this. It’s one of my favourite tunes, but in all the other categories I’ve avoided giving the highest scores to songs I already know well.

Scores:
    Molly: 12/14
    ALC: 11/14

12 points to:
    Homer J Fong which means...............congrats go to G&R who pips Homer at the post to win our Walrus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Yay!!

That’s a savage song, I’ve been waiting to use it in a walrus

Actual footage of G&R right now:
    giphy.gif

Actual footage of G&R right now:
    giphy.gif

Or as we llike to refer to him: fat Nathan Fillion.

That bit with headphones listening to 115 songs

Or as we llike to refer to him: big boned Nathan Fillion.

FYP

Green&Red wrote: »
    That bit with headphones listening to 115 songs

115! And I presume you have to listen more than once. :)

2nd Place – The Killers - All these things I've done

Molly: What a song. The best Killers song IMO. An absolute killer entry in this category (pun intended). I think I saw the Killers way back at Oxegen 2002 or something and they were brilliant. I watched them at Glasto this year (on the TV obvs) and they were less impressive. I think it’s just because I prefer their older stuff. This is the perfect anthemic sort of festival song that you want.

ALC: Brilliant choice for a festival song. The top five or six here would’ve won most other categories.

Scores:
    Molly: 13/14
    ALC: 10/14

13 points to:
    Green&Red

Jesus im shocked i useta love her did so wel if im being honest :D

Yay, another top 3 finish, I'm getting better at this Walrus thing! (let's pretend Round 2 didn't happen. :P) Tbh "Wake Up" isn't even one of my favourite Arcade Fire songs (they have a lot of good'uns) but as soon as I think "music festival" it's the very first song that comes to mind...at least it was, until tonight; from now on "It's a Rave Dave" will of course be the only acceptable song for any given occasion!

Congrats G&R, on your well-deserved win. I trust of course that you won't forget my gracious words when you're judging yours....just sayin' ;)

And Finally...... our winner tonight......
    giphy.gif

1st Place – Elbow - One Day Like This

Molly: Surprised more people didn’t submit a live version of their entry. It possibly would’ve ranked them better with me. But this is my quintessential festival song. It’s like the person just read my mind. This for real gave me shivers. It’s a fantastic performance. I love Elbow. And this song is just perfect. I can’t rank this anywhere but top. Even if this entire thing is about me finding new music. Fcuk it. Hearing this song at a festival is a spiritual experience for me. Lovelovelove it.

ALC: Perfect choice for a festival song. Epic, summery, sing-along joy.

I feel it fitting that we both agree perfectly on the number 1 song for this category. So top marks for both of us.
    Scores:
    Molly: 14/14
    ALC: 14/14

14 points to:
    Zaph

• Advertisement

Well done Zaph.

And big thanks Molly and ALC - some really good categories and great choices among them. Hope ye both enjoyed it, and that ye survive any fallout from the aftermath! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Well done Zaph.

Well done G & R for overall victory.

Screw Molly for cheating me out of top spot and hating on the everlasting classic that is IT'S A RAVE DAVE!

Final scores for the game:

|C1| C2| C3| C4| C5| Total
    Quickbeam| 11| 3| 2| 1| 6| 23
    Necro| 5| 8| 5| 9| 3| 30
    MicksJaguar| 1| 2| 6| 11| 11| 31
    Zaph| 6| 5| 1| 5| 14| 31
    Rikand| 13| 6| 4| 4| 4| 31
    Osh| 10| 10| 4| 7| 2| 33
    Pretzill| 14| 7| 11| 2| 1| 35
    Banjo| 7| 9| 8| 3| 10| 37
    Barney92| 3| 11| 9| 8| 7| 38
    Partyjungle| 8| 14| 7| 7| 5| 41
    Ectoplasm| 2| 12| 12| 10| 9| 45
    sheridan81| 4| 13| 10| 14| 8| 49
    Homer J. Fong| 12| 2| 14| 12| 12| 52
    Green&Red| 9| 4| 14| 13| 13| 53

So our winner with a fantastic score of 53 is Green&Red! Homer’s abysmal score in round 2 means he’s loses the top spot by a single point. Unfortunate Homer. Congrats to G&R!

Again a huge thanks to everyone who submitted songs for us. We've had a great time listening to them all (apart from It's a Rave Dave - I'm not gonna forgive that lightly) and a great time discussing all the entries. I spent last night listening to Neil Diamond......I mean Young and tonight was spent listening to Bon Iver and Mazzy Star so achievement unlocked! Thanks for the music!
    giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think we can all agree that Dave The Rave is the find of the competition :P

Necro wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that Dave The Rave is the find of the competition :P

And not the DeZurick Sisters? (also submitted by Sheridan)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I spent last night listening to Neil Diamond......I mean Young

In fairness Neil Diamond is probably better.

Thanks Molly and ALC :)

*Runs out of room before QB sees comment*

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah ffs, I thought I had the wooden spoon all wrapped up! :D

I'm really surprised by this considering that I finished last in a previous round and never rose above lower mid-table mediocrity for the rest. I just saved the best for last I suppose. :)

Thanks for running the game Molly and ALC, really enjoyed my first walrus and it definitely will encourage me to have a go at others in the future.

Jesus im shocked i useta love her did so wel if im being honest :D

Anyone who's seen em live at s festival knows the ****ing earned it

Congrats G&R and thanks to Mollorca for running it!

Zaph wrote: »
    Ah ffs, I thought I had the wooden spoon all wrapped up! :D

I'm really surprised by this considering that I finished last in a previous round and never rose above lower mid-table mediocrity for the rest. I just saved the best for last I suppose. :)

Thanks for running the game Molly and ALC, really enjoyed my first walrus and it definitely will encourage me to have a go at others in the future.

I did say to you when I got your entry PM to watch Necro and Stu's Walrus. One Day Like This was my entry for favourite song. It was gonna take a lot to beat it for me. ;)

• Advertisement

Well done Zaph for topping the festival category (it would be a great festival line-up)

Congrats G&R and Homer it was a close table overall. Thanks Molly and ALC for your joint judgeship.

Advertisement