Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mollyb & ALC's Walrus Reveal Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The video is mesmerising too. Whats with all the clowns? I love his skirt.

Oh I do love the Smashing Pumpkins (not so much Billy Corgan as a person, though; dreadful man but an exquisite songwriter!) That's really not one I'd have picked for this category though; would work more for the "song to get you up in the morning" category! :p

Off the top of my head: "Crush", "Luna", "Beautiful", "Farewell & Goodnight" (even the name is a clue!!) or pretty much anything off the Adore album would work well here. (Imo, of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Trump's America man. We're all just medicated prisoners to the moronic clowns he emboldens. And stuff. Also old navy don't do a leg/waist fitting in Billy's size so no more chinos for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Banjo wrote: »
    Trump's America man. We're all just medicated prisoners to the moronic clowns he emboldens. And stuff. Also old navy don't do a leg/waist fitting in Billy's size so no more chinos for him.

Stuff of nightmares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That's really not one I'd have picked for this category though; would work more for the "song to get you up in the morning" category! :p

Come come, there are no wrong answers

Oh **** wait that's Sheep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭AnLachaCorcra

6th Place – Wild Flowers - Tom Petty

Molly: Lovely song. Wouldn’t really know Tom Petty that well at all but this is very sweet and very soothing. It’s really cheery and jaunty but soft enough that I can imagine myself drifting off to it.

ALC: This was nice. A relaxing song, so works for the category.

Scores:
    Molly: 10/14
    ALC: 8/14

9 points to:
    Barney92

Lovely choice Barney and a gentle one for Tom Petty, he could write a tune.

Not last tonight wooo hooo :D

5th Place – Mazzy Star - Halah

Molly: Never heard of Mazzy Star before but I was very intrigued. Pitchfork called them pyschedlic country and I suppose that’s an apt description. The singer has a Courtney Barnett sound to her in this song.

ALC: Very good song, and I’ve scored it more highly for the totally unfair reason that I hadn’t heard it before and didn’t really know Mazzy Star.

Scores:
    Molly: 5/14
    ALC: 13/14

10 points to:
    Sheridan81

4th Place – Gabriel Faure - Pavanne Op. 50

Molly: Beautiful, otherworldly, could definitely sleep to this.

ALC: Good choice of classical music. And I started to dose off while I was listening to it.

Scores:
    Molly: 9/14
    ALC: 10/14

11 points to:
    Pretzill

• Advertisement

Nice to finish in the top 5 love Faure's pavanne it instantly came to mind for the category.

3rd Place – Air - La Femme D'Argent

Molly: This is the perfect sleepy song. So smooth and I love the rain effect in the background. This entire album is a sleeper for me to be honest. I can’t even believe that this is 7 minutes long. I think I might have actually fallen asleep in the middle of it.

ALC: I love this album, and I could definitely sleep to it, it’s so relaxing. Shame I know it so well

Scores:
    Molly: 13/14
    ALC: 12/14

12 points to:
    Ectoplasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Excellent choice Ecto

Very nice choice Ecto. If you asked me to name something by Air, the only one I'd know by name would be "Sexy Boy". But this one sounded oddly familiar; I feel like maybe I've heard it before, but I wouldn't have had a clue who it was by.

And finally, in a surprise outcome, we have a joint first place! These 2 could not be separated by us with both ranking them highly and with exact opposite scores.

Joint 1st Place – Bon Iver - Holocene

Molly: I love Bon Iver’s voice. The falsetto works with his dreamy lyrics and soft guitars. Beautiful song. You keep waiting for this to ramp up and it doesn’t and I love that about it. You’re just left waiting. I did have a quick listen to some of his other stuff though and I don’t like it so this seems to be a rare quirk.

ALC: Really like this song, even though I’m not fussed on Bon Iver generally.

Scores:
    Molly: 14/14
    ALC: 11/14

14 points to:
    Green&Red

Joint 1st Place – Mazzy Star - Into Dust

Molly: The second Mazzy Star song on this list. I was surprised I’d never heard of them before this. Can imagine this being played in a bar to a totally rapt audience. I really like it.

ALC: I really enjoyed this and, unlike some of the other songs in this category I didn’t know it. Gonna check out Mazzy Star after this, so good job.

Scores:
    Molly: 11/14
    ALC: 14/14

14 points to:
    Homer J Fong

Oh yes, I remember now. Mrs G&R introduced me to that song and it’s amazing

Well done Homer and G&R I'm away from the PC but looking forward to listening later - joint winner is a Walrus first!

Thanks Mollyb and An - great category will be one for the headphones later

I don't get Bon Iver personally.

Yay, my first ever "first" in a Walrus! :D Right after my first ever "last"; I hope I've atoned now for subjecting you to HIM and their associated teenage angst! :pac:

I only got into Mazzy Star myself within the past twelve months or so. "Fade Into You" is their most well known song, so that's a good one to check out. Also they do a lovely cover of "Five String Serenade" (originally by Arthur Lee and Love). Both of those plus "Into Dust" are on the album titled So Tonight That I Might See, which serves as a nice starting point.

The one Sheridan submitted is from their debut album, which I haven't actually listened to myself. Nice to know I wasn't the only one who thought of Mazzy Star for this categroy! :) I had also considered submitting something by Cat Power or The Antlers, but ultimately "Into Dust" won out.

Fade into you is a great song

• Advertisement

Ok so I think this is right. Sheridan was correct with the scores earlier too so apologies. Doesn't help poor Mick much though.

|C1 |C2 |C3| Total
    Banjo |7 |9 |8|24
    Barney92| 3| 11 |9|23
    Ectoplasm| 2 |12 |12| 26
    Green&Red| 9| 4| 14|27
    Homer J. Fong| 12| 2 |14|28
    MicksJaguar| 1 |2 |6|9
    Necro| 5 |8 |5|18
    Osh| 10 |10 |4|24
    partyjungle| 8 |14 |7|29
    Pretzill| 14 |7 |11|32
    Quickbeam |11 |3 |2|16
    Rikand| 13 |6 |4|23
    sheridan81| 4| 13| 10|27
    Zaph| 6| 5| 1|12

Thanks for the songs folks. We're taking a break tomorrow from this hectic schedule so we'll resume things on Saturday night after we've had a few glasses of wine. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Saturday night Walrus is a great idea :D

Grats G&R, Homer on your joint win.

Will listen to the songs when I get home from work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Been dipping in and out. These will be my soundtrack tonight. Very happy with my mystery choice in the end. Interesting 1st place tie! Well done lads.

Ooh the table is messed up on mobile. Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Top 5 was excellent, except for Bon ivor who I just dont like. But the other four were brilliant!

Thanks ALC for not hating my entry here. I knew there was a risk when Molly posted her likes/dislikes, but I'm all about trying to get people to try new things where possible :D

Pretzill, I always think of the opening of this song when I hear your entry :pac:

Rikand wrote: »

Pretzill, I always think of the opening of this song when I hear your entry :pac:

F*cking S club 7 :( Gabriel Faure would roll in his grave - he wouldn't stop movin:D

Rikand wrote: »
    Top 5 was excellent, except for Bon ivor who I just dont like. But the other four were brilliant!

Thanks ALC for not hating my entry here. I knew there was a risk when Molly posted her likes/dislikes, but I'm all about trying to get people to try new things where possible :D

I’d agree on Bob Ivor, I wouldn’t be a fan outside of that song

There’s talk to going to his gig in December

At EP last year we went to see Sigrid, who was amazing, from there we went to meet a friend at Dermot Kennedy (who I like)it’s not an exaggeration to say that 10% of the people there were crying
    That’s how I imagine a Bon Ivor gig

Sorry folks I meant to put up these playlist links as I was going along:
    Playlist 1: Songs from before 1950
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO-eHGH6EHn5-LKP9xE5mV6fv7s3jTeVU

Playlist 2: Songs from a genre you wouldn't normally listen to
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO-eHGH6EHn4Yy0YdNPsvySNlhM_y4QSh

Playlist 3: Songs to send you to sleep
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO-eHGH6EHn585pilwMAIdt7VVL9ckMcM

Ok so I said we weren't around tonight for a reveal but we're unexpectedly available so.................is anyone opposed to us doing category 4 tonight and our finale tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Not opposed.

Advertisement