Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.MOV files in Win10 Films and TV app

Options
  • 17-09-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi folks. Newbie.
    I use a lot of video files as I regularly record my band playing. They come off my video camera as .MOV files.

Up until a few days ago, I could easily play these through the preinstalled Films and TV app. I also used others to edit them but that app gave me the option to capture and edit stills from the videos which is something I use a lot.

Then one day, with no prior changes made, the MOV files wouldn't play. Message said no suitable codecs. Other types of video files played, and I could play the MOV files on other apps. But not Film and TV.

So I went on the hunt for a solution and that's when my problems began. I found some advice to download a K-Lite Codec Pack which was recommended as best solution to codec issues. Duly did this, but it unloaded a bunch of crapware with it, including a fake browser called Chromium, and a nasty little malware called Segurazo and god knows what else. And still wouldn't play the MOV files, and everything was freezing up and crashing all over the place.

Anyway I got the PC cleaned up, all nasties dealt with and (touch wood) all running smoothly again. But still can't play the MOV files on Film and TV app.

Microsoft offers no solutions. Any ideas ?
    I know I can convert the files, or use another player, but none of them have the still-capture feature that I enjoyed on Film and TV app.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Klite Codecs are fine as long as you download them off a legit site. You need either a codec pack or get a player like VLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Long story short, Microsoft removed native h265 decoding in a recent update to Windows 10

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MarianneA

Homelander wrote: »
    Klite Codecs are fine as long as you download them off a legit site. You need either a codec pack or get a player like VLC.

Which codec pack?

I already have VLC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can convert videos with VLC to another format, say mp4 with h264 audio, maybe the MS app wont have an issue with that. VLC is very quick to convert.

[QUOTE=SickBoy;111273446

Long story short, Microsoft removed native h265 decoding in a recent update to Windows 10[/QUOTE]

Looks good... I'll give it a try and report back! Mucho thanks.

• Advertisement

MarianneA wrote: »
    Looks good... I'll give it a try and report back! Mucho thanks.

Nope... no good. Got to the site and downloaded the codec, apparently it's already installed, but it still doesn't work. As before, the video sound plays but no picture.

This message comes up:

Missing Codec
    Find something else to play. This item is in a format we don't support.
    0xc00d36b4
    Send feedback.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You can convert videos with VLC to another format, say mp4 with h264 audio, maybe the MS app wont have an issue with that. VLC is very quick to convert.

I know I can do this, as already stated in my original post. The files are massive and it's a real bugger to have to do that. The issue is that I want to play the files straight off my camera in MOV, through that app, and be able to use the stills capture feature on that app that none of the others have. And up until last week, I could.
    It plays the audio with a black screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I know I can do this, as already stated in my original post. The files are massive and it's a real bugger to have to do that. The issue is that I want to play the files straight off my camera in MOV, through that app, and be able to use the stills capture feature on that app that none of the others have. And up until last week, I could.
    It plays the audio with a black screen.
    While looking for solution, do you think MS gives two sh**'* what you want and not?

Get another application that can handle .mov and get use to it.
    VLC, as suggested, can do it (+many more formats) and is free.
    There is nothing wrong with K-Lite, as long you got it from legit source, either.
    "Movies & TV" is crap to begin with anyway.
    To you knowledge most decent video playback soft have features, that MS didn't even bother to think to put into their cheep-crap-basic "Movies & TV"(how much i love them :D)
    Still's can be taken in VLC by Shift+S (can be modified) while playing or pause. By default it saves to Pictures folder as .png (can be .jpg or .tiff, to any directory of your choice).

While looking for solution, do you think MS gives two sh**'* what you want and not?

Still's can be taken in VLC by Shift+S (can be modified) while playing or pause. By default it saves to Pictures folder as .png (can be .jpg or .tiff, to any directory of your choice).

That's useful to know, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

but it unloaded a bunch of crapware with it, including a fake browser called Chromium,

What was fake about Chromium?

How did you know it was fake?

• Advertisement

What was fake about Chromium?

How did you know it was fake?

Because I didn't choose to download it
    It didn't behave like a normal browser. It set up favourites and search engines i hadn't asked for. And ran as if it was trying to run through wet concrete. But the real giveaway was when I looked it up and it was described as "malware." :)
    Anyway, all gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Because I didn't choose to download it
    It didn't behave like a normal browser. It set up favourites and search engines i hadn't asked for. And ran as if it was trying to run through wet concrete. But the real giveaway was when I looked it up and it was described as "malware." :)
    Anyway, all gone now.
    Chromium is a free and open-source web browser developed by Google. It is a fully functional browser on its own and supplies the vast majority of source code for the Google Chrome browser.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

I have no idea what you might have d/loaded, deliberate or otherwise, but it was unlikely to be Chromium Browser. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

.mov is the container, what you need is to find out is what codec the files use. There's many free applications that can do that.
    It must be a very unusual one if it does not play in VLC

Also, I'm not sure what microsoft are playing at removing HEVC support and charging $0.99 for it here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

But giving it away for free here.....
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7593_159229&tduid=%28ir_wJC0gNTClQca0BAzqwxkEXPhUkjTGXQhW1412Y0%29%287593%29%28159229%29%28%29%28UUwpUdUnU56397YYwYd%29&irclickid=wJC0gNTClQca0BAzqwxkEXPhUkjTGXQhW1412Y0&activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

Advertisement