Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QR Code on my statement?

• 17-09-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I was going through my statement the other day and noticed a couple of QR codes on there. One by the address, and the other down the left hand side.

Anyone know what they are for?

I have asked PTSB if its personal details etc but I get really vague answers. Still waiting on them to tell me if its an internal thing or can anyone access the data on those codes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

have you tried the obvious thing of scanning it and seeing what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nameloc

Yeah, just get a random set of numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nameloc wrote: »
    Yeah, just get a random set of numbers

It's probably your IBAN number. Can you see your account number as the last 8 digits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭davetherave

It's not an IBAN. Just had a look at my own PTSB statement there. It's a Data-Matrix type of barcode. Scanning it gives a 19 digit code of mostly 0's, nothing resembling part of an IBAN, sort code, Account number etc. One digit in the decoded series changes for each page of the statement but they are all the same oher than that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd say it's a marker for the pages to make sure that only pages you are supposed to get are sent to you, probably some internal code that references a unique letter number, the total number of pages and which number page that QR is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd say it's a marker for the pages to make sure that only pages you are supposed to get are sent to you, probably some internal code that references a unique letter number, the total number of pages and which number page that QR is on.

Yep. It’s to guard against two pages sticking together in the collator and a page of the statement being accidentally stuffed in the wrong envelope and sent to the wrong punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

I was going through my statement the other day and noticed a couple of QR codes on there. One by the address, and the other down the left hand side.

Anyone know what they are for?

I have asked PTSB if its personal details etc but I get really vague answers. Still waiting on them to tell me if its an internal thing or can anyone access the data on those codes

Post pictures of them, we can identify more easily that way.

Nope not the iban number.
    It looks as though one of the numbers is associated to the page number.

If I were a guessing man, I would say they were to ensure that when they are sent out, they are identifiers to make sure they dont get mixed with someone elses. But I was told they have personal data on them by PTSB - albeit no further information on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If I were a guessing man ......

Or you had read posts #6 and #7 ;)

coylemj wrote: »
    Or you had read posts #6 and #7 ;)

I just didn't refresh the page!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement