Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De Ploughing

• 17-09-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭

How on earth is this a major “event”, drawing such big numbers? It sounds like a truly awful way to spend your day.

Tractors ploughing fields and stomping around various farming supply tents listening to yahoos shouting “hup” and “hon the banner!” or whatever parochial nickname their town/county has.

Probably has “Wagon Wheel” constantly blaring over speakers that double as bunting poles too

A few of the girls from here have been talking about it nonstop for the last month. Talking about, no word of lie, which wellies were “best” to go with their outfits. They share lots of jokes about “finding a man” and, obviously, “road frontage” and this brings them on to talk of the “Aisling” book and how they’re all so like her. All of them.

I can think of few things worse than standing around in a field with lots of old men with rope belts keeping their “trousers” up and both hands, firmly, in their pockets. Always wearing those thick suits, probably older than they are, whether it’s cold and rainy or blistering sunshine. Then having some freckled young lads in navy gilets running around bumping into you roaring “hit the diff!” and shítting themselves laughing.

I’ve had to endure spending time with my partner’s “people” out west on a few occasions and it’s always the same. Incessant weather chat, pointing out the long, or short, evenings and “‘tis an Indian summer we’re having” type pronouncements.

Then, down the pub, having to endure some of the locals from further afield. Poking fun at my accent or asking my partner if “so and so” is her uncle and on her answer in the affirmative falling around laughing telling her “Softy, we used to call him!”. Base humour.

The coverage the Ploughing is getting is beyond me. Pat Kenny was broadcasting from there today. The Dubs win “five in a row”, a feat never achieved by any other side, in either code, and one that I, personally, don’t believe will be done again, and there’s no mention of it. Instead it’s this country “festival” that’s getting all the coverage, that and the country “beef” drama.

Can’t just let us have our “moment”. Up the Dubs!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ye do know that it's a drunken rampant f*ck fest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

De Dubs will never win De Ploughing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

My daughter brought that Aisling book home one day. I leafed through it and virtually gagged. You can tell whoever wrote that's never read anything more challenging than the Harry Potter books, or The Beano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

not everyone's the same
    live and let live

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Extremely incoherent and rambling OP, Emmet. Are you on the sherry already?

We’ve a stand down here this year. It’s great for business, and we get the majority of our sales for the year from the 3 days. Plenty of top looking women walking around as well, and the good weather has everyone in great mood. The food village is worth the price of entry alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A heap of the wolly backs in work go missing for the few days every year. The ploughing is basically the haj for culchies - they have to make the pilgrimage or they don't get to finally ride some dirty aul one in culchie heaven i believe.

There's no fúcking civilisation in them!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Aongus Von Bismarck has a challenger!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Culchies are a strange species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have just turned up in Tullamore. No ploughing. They moved the damned thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Aw... Did someone dig up the onions you planted in your allotment? Maybe somebody infringed on your 20 square foot garden? Or maybe someone had the nerve to drive a tractor in front of you when you went down the country (Wicklow) for a weekend getaway. Although you probably don't have a car...

I'm confused as to where the anger stems from.

• Advertisement

I have just turned up in Tullamore. No ploughing. They moved the damned thing.
    Plough on ! And then the harrowing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Probably good food and drink there though, and plants etc. There's the hardcore country stuff but then there's the Bohemian, "farming is cool crowd" now also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Checks frantically for tickets online..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »

...with diggers? That's diggers, bee-yotch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’ve been compared to worst on here. Much worse.
    Not really.

Are you that guy everyone was laughing at in the “old boardsies” thread? Haha.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I’ve been compared to worst on here. Much worse...

Do you know the Five Lamps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

jimgoose wrote: »
    Do you know the Five Lamps?

They’re fine where they are, J!

They’re fine where they are, J!

Yiz can hang yizzer bollix off it! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A heap of the wolly backs in work go missing for the few days every year. The ploughing is basically the haj for culchies - they have to make the pilgrimage or they don't get to finally ride some dirty aul one in culchie heaven i believe.

Better than riding a dirty aul one, on heroin from the city.

I'd rather green fields and fresh air than a river smelling like all of Dublin took a big **** in to it and a bunch of peaky blinder wanna-be's on every corner selling you dodgy heroin.

Plus people from Dublin are normally mean spirited, "cultured" knobs. This thread shows it best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Mudstock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

How on earth is this a major “event”, drawing such big numbers? It sounds like a truly awful way to spend your day.

Tractors ploughing fields and stomping around various farming supply tents listening to yahoos shouting “hup” and “hon the banner!” or whatever parochial nickname their town/county has.

Probably has “Wagon Wheel” constantly blaring over speakers that double as bunting poles too

A few of the girls from here have been talking about it nonstop for the last month. Talking about, no word of lie, which wellies were “best” to go with their outfits. They share lots of jokes about “finding a man” and, obviously, “road frontage” and this brings them on to talk of the “Aisling” book and how they’re all so like her. All of them.

I can think of few things worse than standing around in a field with lots of old men with rope belts keeping their “trousers” up and both hands, firmly, in their pockets. Always wearing those thick suits, probably older than they are, whether it’s cold and rainy or blistering sunshine. Then having some freckled young lads in navy gilets running around bumping into you roaring “hit the diff!” and shítting themselves laughing.

I’ve had to endure spending time with my partner’s “people” out west on a few occasions and it’s always the same. Incessant weather chat, pointing out the long, or short, evenings and “‘tis an Indian summer we’re having” type pronouncements.

Then, down the pub, having to endure some of the locals from further afield. Poking fun at my accent or asking my partner if “so and so” is her uncle and on her answer in the affirmative falling around laughing telling her “Softy, we used to call him!”. Base humour.

The coverage the Ploughing is getting is beyond me. Pat Kenny was broadcasting from there today. The Dubs win “five in a row”, a feat never achieved by any other side, in either code, and one that I, personally, don’t believe will be done again, and there’s no mention of it. Instead it’s this country “festival” that’s getting all the coverage, that and the country “beef” drama.

Whatever about your description of the area your partner is from the description of the de ploughing is a bit of a caricature. Only a bit though.

On the hands never being removed from the pockets comment, a friend of my bil who has a furniture business selling fairly high end (definitely pricey) stuff took a stand at the ploughing at the height of the recession around 10 years ago. Almost a last desperate throw of the dice. Completely turned his year around and he's continued to go back every year since.

Basically the sales follow a similar pattern. Farmer gets dragged onto his stand, conversation always the same one usually carried on in hushed tones.

"I want this, you're just after lorrying out € X,000s on whatever don't even dream of telling me we can't afford something here".

As the number of zeros after the X increases he knows he's on a bigger winner.

All that said unless I'm in the market for a machine I wouldn't go across the road to it. Really awful spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some people go for the biros and free samples.

I like sitting into the new cars(I've known people to order there news car at it.) Having a look at the machineryand looking at the foodie stalls

It's a better day out than a day to a shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm sure there's a ploughing joke to made about 5 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The ploughing is fantastic, been at least half a dozen times, only bothered to venture out to the actual ploughing once, most ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Some people go for the biros and free samples.

Ha!
    My son went with his pals once.
    Came home with about 79 bottles of that cheap orange drink aka water with sugar and orange colouring.

Jeez but he couldn't even drink the stuff, unless he wanted to dance on the ceiling for days on end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone that says "hon" deserves to be shot with pellets of their own sh*te.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

If I was a single woman (rather than a married man) I'd be down there in a flash!

All those bachelors, lots of land, plenty of road frontage, etc

Instead the single women of Ireland are wasting their time on Tinder, POF and at Electric Picnic!

Like most music festivals, the young punks make it their priority to block the toilets within the first half hour

Because doing that is the most hilarious thing ever

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think it is very important for the muckers to have something to celebrate and enjoy around harvest time. I think it is also important that city folk take good notice of this, particularly when your browsing the vegetable and fruit stands for the next couple of months. Please take the time to buy local produce and look after the farming community in this country. They work extremely hard, seven days a week, they might crib now and then, but I for one would never argue with our most noble profession. It is a great opportunity for some of our best looking queer-ones to make a few bob this week as well, good luck to all. I think it is pure and favourable that the culchies are getting an opportunity to mix and grab a bit of arse, they need this bonding, it will keep them quiet until the Shannon, Suir, Barrow and Nuir floods start before Christmas and they make their annual pilgrimage to Merrion Square to fúck a 2 year old sheep over the gate into the gardens of Dail Eireann, never an exhibition to be missed, also a very enjoyable opportunity to park a tractor outside the Burlington and stand around with their hands in their pockets spitting into the pavement before dropping a couple of hundred euro up in the posh apartments beside the river Dodder. Never miss an opportunity. People need to start drinking more Smithwicks as well, with a Guinness head, unless of course your a penny pinching Corkonian prone to going onto boards to complain about the decibel levels of gangster molls' who prefer to spend weekends in Killarney annoying stuck up boggers in health spas with foreign wives than troubling the clothes hangers of Zara and River island of a given Saturday, don't forget a change is as good as a rest you know. Gerry Adams probably is a liar.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think it is very important for the...

Ah yeah. A generation or so ago they were arsin' around the bog and a bowl of stirabout or a couple of platefuls a' spuds would have cured all the angst from here back to Norway, but since the changeover in 1922, when they got well down to the porridge-pot there was no holdin' them. It started off with top-hats and white ties and "getting into the Gentry", and then to chatting about the servant problem with the Anglo-Irish Horse-Protestants, who at least were reared to it, and it went from that to late dinner, and now it's "Angst", no less. Not that the Horse-Protestants were any better, but they were longer at it. They are just as ignorant except that their ill-manners are sharpened by time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Few paragraphs wouldn't go amiss you poxbottles.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Few paragraphs wouldn't go amiss you poxbottles.

Well you're going to be more sorry now you bastard, because she died and left me the pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The D4 meejia have their outside broadcast units on site to be at one with their country cousins.
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea, if there's traffic jams of cars trying to get in and crowds I'm not really bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

The ploughing is basically the haj for culchies

That should be it's tag line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

This is one seriously odd place sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

This is one seriously odd place sometimes.

just sometimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So as someone who hasn't lived in Ireland for a couple of decades and has no idea what this is about... what is this about? I've seen it mentioned a good few times over the years.

Is it a tribute to the harvesting season where someone ploughs the first field of the year for setting new crops or some sort of equivalent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Glancing at the thread title I thought I was entering a discussion on some hitherto unknown Norman surname.

The. Outside of Dublin, we pronounce it as the.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its a ploughing competition where farmers plough a field,
    but 1000,s go to it,
    i think lots of companys , have a stand there ,
    anything to do with agriculture ,or any product of interest to rural people .

https://twitter.com/search?q=ploughing+championship+ireland&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch
    It,s nice to know some major event can happen outside dublin .
    It,s like gaa hurling you either like it or you have zero interest in it .
    And of course a lot of rte radio show,s will be there broadcasting from a tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It would be Richie Kavanagh ya thundering gobdaw.
    I can think of few things worse than standing around in a field with lots of old men with rope belts keeping their “trousers” up and both hands, firmly, in their pockets. Always wearing those thick suits, probably older than they are, whether it’s cold and rainy or blistering sunshine. Then having some freckled young lads in navy gilets running around bumping into you roaring “hit the diff!” and shing themselves laughing.

Have you ever thought they were being charitable to you ?
    I mean would you rather they just referred to you as yer man the gobshyte from the city and sat there laughing at you ?

I mean they do probably laugh at you when you are gone, but at least have some appreciation for fact they don't do it to your face.

Oops cancel the last bit, they do laugh at you.
    Ah well at least they are honest and upfront.

1 out of 10 for effort.

Lacks subtlety.

Must try harder next time.

The big advantage of the ploughing is the lack of insufferable ar**holes from certain parts of the country.

Different class, different league.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If I was a single woman (rather than a married man) I'd be down there in a flash!

All those bachelors, lots of land, plenty of road frontage, etc

Instead the single women of Ireland are wasting their time on Tinder, POF and at Electric Picnic!

They'd only be looking for a brood mare though, and someone to help with lambing or calving. Farming is really something you need to be born into.

There’ll be no ploughing in Dublin this week after the All-Ireland anyway .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah it's better than walking through Dublin with chuggers and junkies in your face every 5 yards looking for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'm sick of all this rural news on TV.

I was watching Claire Byrne last night and there was a load of pig ignorant ****ers giving out that they didn't like the price they were getting for beef. Tough **** hombre. That's the free market.

The sight of them on every RTE bulletin annoys me. Red faces, incoherent accents, big wooly jumpers and eyebrows under their eyes. You can almost smell the cow****e off them. How minister creed went in to a room to negotiate with them I don't know. The fent of manure would be enough to turn a bombay sewage worker I'd say.

I was watching Claire Byrne last night and there was a load of pig ignorant ****ers giving out that they didn't like the price they were getting for beef. Tough **** hombre. That's the free market.

The sight of them on every RTE bulletin annoys me. Red faces, incoherent accents, big wooly jumpers and eyebrows under their eyes. You can almost smell the cow****e off them. How minister creed went in to a room to negotiate with them I don't know. The fent of manure would be enough to turn a bombay sewage worker I'd say.

Lack of scale is a problem in Irish farming but the meat processors have been ripping off farmers for years, as have the retailers, withdrawing product is the only weapon farmers have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Lack of scale is a problem in Irish farming but the meat processors have been ripping off farmers for years, as have the retailers, withdrawing product is the only weapon farmers have

They're not just withdrawing product.

No issue with that. They're preventing others product from entering the abbatoirs.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

They're not just withdrawing product.

No issue with that. They're preventing others product from entering the abbatoirs.

I think scale is too small and most will need to exit but even half the farmers left the industry, a guy with a thousand acres still needs some margin, the factories are taking the p1ss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its nearly as bad as the smell from the tenements where ten junkies share a room ( and needles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

blinding wrote: »
    There’ll be no ploughing in Dublin this week after the All-Ireland anyway .

There wasn't a cow milked in Dublin last Saturday evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement