Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone actually believe that Gerry Adams wasn't in the IRA?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    So this proves Gerry wasn't in the RA?

This does? The gentleman poster was bringing up topics from the troubles and poppies. Not that you'd ever raise anything historical or comical ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I presume your “local” paper is the Anglo celt. Do you think that might be the “local” paper for someone 20 miles away too?

'Local' knowledge is not your thing is it SS?

The 'Northern Standard' would be the local paper here, followed by the Fermanagh Herald, followed way down in circulation would be the Anglo Celt.

Close...but like Mr Williams...not close enough! :cool:

So your “local” paper is the Northern Standard. A paper which claims it “covers Counties Monaghan, Cavan, Louth, Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone.”

That’s a pretty wide definition of “local”.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So your “local” paper is the Northern Standard. A paper which claims it “covers Counties Monaghan, Cavan, Louth, Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone.”

This is a bit like Fr Ted. Small/Far Away. Pay attention here now SS...

It is 'local' in that context because the newspaper goes to those areas. The wee man puts a bundle in his wee van and drives to different towns and counties and delivers them to wee shops where the wee woman reads about the special bit inserted about her wee town or village.

The person reading it in my town is not 'local' to the person reading it up in Tyrone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

:D:D:D Mark, all you need to do on a discussion forum is to discuss. Nobody bites if you don't agree with them.

Try and calm down there.

As I said, Internet hardman.

markodaly wrote: »

Is that when you call someone 'depraved, caveman-like and amounts to an amoeba'.

Sounds well 'hard' to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

:D:D:D Mark, all you need to do on a discussion forum is to discuss. Nobody bites if you don't agree with them.

Try and calm down there.

This is ridiculously low quality. What happened to playing the ball, not the man?

As usual, these threads just devolve into Francie posting a million times and a bunch of people ignoring said posts and personally insulting him.

This is a bit like Fr Ted. Small/Far Away. Pay attention here now SS...

It is 'local' in that context because the newspaper goes to those areas. The wee man puts a bundle in his wee van and drives to different towns and counties and delivers them to wee shops where the wee woman reads about the special bit inserted about her wee town or village.

The person reading it in my town is not 'local' to the person reading it up in Tyrone though.

And do the wee local journalists cover the whole wee local area or just the wee town they live in?

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    This is ridiculously low quality. What happened to playing the ball, not the man?

As usual, these threads just devolve into Francie posting a million times and a bunch of people ignoring said posts and personally insulting him.

I challenged Mark on his adamant assertion about who was responsible here and he decided to attack me rather than back up what he so strenuously claimed.

Bizarre tbh.

And do the wee local journalists cover the whole wee local area or just the wee town they live in?

No SS, a reporter would have their 'areas' typically. With local amateur correspondents. A lot of the content of local papers is written on a voluntary basis by Club PRO's, press officers for local organisations etc. and it is all pulled together by a small staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The thread thus far

1 - Gerry was never in the Sumo

2 - Some places are nearer other places than some other places

3 - Local papers for local people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Odhinn wrote: »
    The thread thus far

1 - Gerry was never in the Sumo

2 - Some places are nearer other places than some other places

3 - Local papers for local people

file-20180212-58352-k4zo5b.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=496&fit=clip

Quote from article in today’s Sunday Independent writing about the immediate aftermath of Kevin Lunneys abduction.

“Almost simultaneously in the neighbouring county of Leitrim, John Mc Cartin, a non-executive director of QIH, was at home with his wife and children when he received an unexpected visit from a Garda. He said, I was just sent to see if you were ok.I said. Why would that be? Is everything alright? He said. Not really. Kevin Lunneys car is on fire and he’s missing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Quote from article in today’s Sunday Independent writing about the immediate aftermath of Kevin Lunneys abduction.

“Almost simultaneously in the neighbouring county of Leitrim, John Mc Cartin, a non-executive director of QIH, was at home with his wife and children when he received an unexpected visit from a Garda. He said, I was just sent to see if you were ok.I said. Why would that be? Is everything alright? He said. Not really. Kevin Lunneys car is on fire and he’s missing.”

you might be in the wrong thread there

maccored wrote: »

you might be in the wrong thread there

You will understand if I don’t ask you for directions.

if anyone's lost, it looks like its you. have you any idea what the threads about? Perhaps you should stick to the topic?

if anyone's lost, it looks like its you. have you any idea what the threads about? Perhaps you should stick to the topic?

I think you will find that you are the one who introduced the tangent to the thread.

Gardai say the Lunney kidnapping is not paramilitary but criminal, according to RTE's Paul Reynolds, who isn't 'local' as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

Gardai say the Lunney kidnapping is not paramilitary but criminal, according to RTE's Paul Reynolds, who isn't 'local' as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn’t put much stock in their opinion Francie. Sure they think Gerry was in the IRA.

I wouldn’t put much stock in their opinion Francie. Sure they think Gerry was in the IRA.

The Gardai?

Why didn't they arrest him so? Or were they guessing with no evidence too, like us all. Or maybe, like most of us, they just didn't care.

The Gardai?

Why didn't they arrest him so? Or were they guessing with no evidence too, like us all. Or maybe, like most of us, they just didn't care.

For someone who doesn’t care you sure do spend a lot of time on the subject.

• Advertisement

For someone who doesn’t care you sure do spend a lot of time on the subject.

Well I did hold out the rather forlorn hope that somebody could tell us why it matters a jot if he was or wasn't.

I think you will find that you are the one who introduced the tangent to the thread.

enough of that malarkey. You've been the one posting about it constantly for some unknown reason.

Im with Francie on this - I couldnt give a monkeys if adams was in the IRA or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Strange

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0922/1077508-kevin-lunney/

"Gardaí believe an organised crime gang with links to dissident republicans was involved in the abduction of Mr Lunney."

Grasping at straws again, Francie?

Will you be producing the quote again in a year's time?

"Paul Reynolds said one time that the Gardai once said that it was not paramilitary but criminal."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No difference imo.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Strange

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0922/1077508-kevin-lunney/

"Gardaí believe an organised crime gang with links to dissident republicans was involved in the abduction of Mr Lunney."

Grasping at straws again, Francie?

Will you be producing the quote again in a year's time?

"Paul Reynolds said one time that the Gardai once said that it was not paramilitary but criminal."

I think it is you who is clutching to be honest blanch.

'Links to dissidents'?

I'm sure the people who did this would have many 'links'.

Was it the work of a paramilitary group though is the question and according to Reynolds, the gardai say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

'Links to dissidents'?

I'm sure the people who did this would have many 'links'.

Aaaaand this is the SF speak we hear so much from their politicians, one of the reasons they got decimated at the local elections, where the SF machines acted like a robot rather than anything human.

These people could have links to horticulturists or craft beer makers, but in the day to day vernacular of the engish language we know full well what 'links to dissidents' means. So fudge away Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Aaaaand this is the SF speak we hear so much from their politicians, one of the reasons they got decimated at the local elections, where the SF machines acted like a robot rather than anything human.

These people could have links to horticulturists or craft beer makers, but in the day to day vernacular of the engish language we know full well what 'links to dissidents' means. So fudge away Francie.

those dissident horticulturists can be a very rum lot. definitely to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

enough of that malarkey. You've been the one posting about it constantly for some unknown reason.

Im with Francie on this - I couldnt give a monkeys if adams was in the IRA or not.

your 66 posts in this thread would suggest otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Gerry was an IRA man and a British agent. He was responsible for the Eksund seizure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Gerry was an IRA man and a British agent. He was responsible for the Eksund seizure.

Maybe its time to cut back on the yokes?

Advertisement