Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving Notice when on AL

• 17-09-2019 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am due to go on 3.5 weeks A/L next Friday (number of family events + holiday) as it is a long period it was cleared with HR 6 months ago.

I am after getting offered my dream role: better money, conditions and prospects for my career and I have accepted.

Can anyone advice what way I should handle giving in my notice? I have a 1 week notice period as specified in my contract, but don't want to risk having AL cancelled due to this.

Sorry probably a silly question, just a bit worried about the fallout that if I tell them before I go that they'll cancel my leave.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Give your week's notice now, so you'll finish up and go on holidays. They'll pay you in lieu of your annual leave when you leave.

Alternatively, give your notice when you come back from holidays.

It wouldn't be reasonable for them to cancel your AL at such short notice.. but neither would it be reasonable for you to give a week's notice while you're on holidays and simply not come back.

It's not clear what you're planning or why you're making something so simple seem so complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Are you going on leave Friday 20th or 27th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Come back from your holidays and give your notice and work it out. Then start the following week. That works out at about 4/5 weeks which your new employer won't mind waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭TheShow

Go on your holidays and give notice when you return.

have you agreed a start date yet? you will need to give referees for the new role i presume, normally 1 current & 1 previous. SO if they are going to check references, you will need to make sure you have your notice handed in prior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Path123 wrote: »
    Can anyone advice what way I should handle giving in my notice?

We need to know the dates (holiday dates, new job start date) before we can accurately tell you the best moment to give notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement