Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter cyclist - how hard is the 60k Dublin Bike Ride?

Options
  • 17-09-2019 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I cycle into work every day - approximately 4 miles each way. Was thinking of doing the Great Dublin Bike Ride 60k. Haven't done any training as such. Over ambitious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,082 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Easy. You'll be freewheeling for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Aim for the 100

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Go lash a 40km out of it this weekend and it'll give you some idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

De Bhál wrote: »
    Aim for the 100

No chance. The 60k looks daunting enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Big crowds that will carry you most of the way, it is no harder than a easy going solo 30km. Nice to do it with a load of other people and you'll appreciate the crowd and craic more than the 60km

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What you'll find is that 60 isn't that hard in reality once you stay in a comfortable gear for the terrain.
    Set stages for yourself in your mind e.g. Clontarf, the left turn away from the coast towards Baldoyle, etc. and aim for them.
    Hopefully the weather will hold out and make it a brilliant day.
    I would echo Effect's point about taking in a 40km ride this weekend to warm up your legs.
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Take it 20 km at a time. Stop for a little while to take a break, but not too long so that your legs go cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Hopefully the weather holds up for next week, can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

I cycle into work every day - approximately 4 miles each way. Was thinking of doing the Great Dublin Bike Ride 60k. Haven't done any training as such. Over ambitious?

You'll be grand, just pace yourself. The 60km was the first long ride I ever did, weeks after chemo. It felt daunting - ended up wishing I'd gone for the 100.

Advertisement