Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error 520, is it just me?

Options
  • 18-09-2019 10:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn't find a technical issues forum with the mighty boards search "function". (or rather barely-function)
    Right now it's a 50/50 Lottery wether the next click will bring the desired result, or Error 520.
    This has been going on for weeks and it's just getting worse by the day, to the point where Boards has become all but unusable.
    Or is it because I use the "old style" boards? On the phone I aso use legacy site. (unrelated rant) I hate the new style. Crammmed, busy, confusing, the old Boards is simple, clear, logical and easy to use. The threads are easier to read.
    To me it always struck me as someone redesigning the whole thing to justify his position and salary. A solution looking for a problem. An answer to a question nobody asked. Change for the sake of it.
    Why is the old site still available YEARS later if the new one is so great? That's a question worth considering for the admins.
    This is perfect and doesn't need to be chamged. The new look Boards should be junked IMO.

490905.PNG

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi jochenstacker,

I have moved your thread to Help Desk as it's a technical query.

Can I ask if you've cleared your cache? What browser and OS are you using?

To address your other points. On mobile, we recommend using touch.boards.ie (there is also the responsive style available). Legacy is still an option there, but requires zooming in and out because it's not designed for that particular method of browsing. However, it has some tools and features that users like and use, plus it is the format that many users are more comfortable / familiar with.

The responsive design (as a whole) was designed to address a growing userbase accessing Boards on mobile devices; this design would enable the scaling of Boards depending on whether someone was accessing on mobile or a laptop/desktop. VBulletin also comes with its own set of restrictions. Work has been undertaken to address feedback provided by users, but for the moment there are other development projects to be undertaken. Even with this redesign, there are no plans to do away with Legacy as it is the platform that a majority of users browse Boards with and enjoy using.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I've tried Windows, Linux, Android, Chrome, Mozilla and this over three devices using the internet at work, at home and wifi and 4G on my phone.
    I get a Cloudflare message that shows the issue to be with boards.ie.

Here is a screenshot of the error. I get it constantly.

Hi jochenstacker,

I have moved your thread to Help Desk as it's a technical query.

Can I ask if you've cleared your cache? What browser and OS are you using?

To address your other points. On mobile, we recommend using touch.boards.ie (there is also the responsive style available). Legacy is still an option there, but requires zooming in and out because it's not designed for that particular method of browsing. However, it has some tools and features that users like and use, plus it is the format that many users are more comfortable / familiar with.

The responsive design (as a whole) was designed to address a growing userbase accessing Boards on mobile devices; this design would enable the scaling of Boards depending on whether someone was accessing on mobile or a laptop/desktop. VBulletin also comes with its own set of restrictions. Work has been undertaken to address feedback provided by users, but for the moment there are other development projects to be undertaken. Even with this redesign, there are no plans to do away with Legacy as it is the platform that a majority of users browse Boards with and enjoy using.

As for legacy, I use that on PC. On the phone it's the touch site, but also old style, with no need to zoom and I find it very good to use.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Could you please try clearing your cache (and ensure that all Boards data is wiped). No guarantee but it may help.

• Advertisement

Could you please try clearing your cache (and ensure that all Boards data is wiped). No guarantee but it may help.

OK, will try.

Advertisement