Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK's dog meat debacle

Options
  • 18-09-2019 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

In 2018 UK considered banning the consumption of dog meat.
    Despite the rarity of the practice, the Government has been urged to take action by the World Dog Alliance (WDA), which is launching a campaign. Kike Yuen of the WDA said: ‘In the US, people who eat dog meat are mainly immigrants from Asia. With three million immigrants from East Asia in the UK, we cannot deny this situation exists here too.

In response, Downing Street has promised that the Government will ‘look closely’ at new US legislation introducing a total ban on the import, trade and consumption of dog meat. SRC

Eating dog is already banned in Germany, Austria, Taiwan, South Australia and Hong Kong.
    But not in UK
    The ban effort in UK has been blocked by Justice Ministry bureaucrats for fear of "offending cultural sensitivities in the Far East".
    SRC

In the the upcoming Brexit Agriculture Bill it will be outlawed if the Tory backbenchers are successful
    The new amendment would “prohibit the human consumption, transport and possession of dog and cat meat”, and would be punishable by up to six months in prison.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Most enviromentally friendly thing you can do is eat your dog.

Gotta love a debacle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

kneemos wrote: »
    Most enviromentally friendly thing you can do is eat your dog.

No way, killing yourself is far more the green option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's kind of silly banning it, given we eat cows and pigs etc. Some animals are more equal than others.

aah, so I can still eat a can of pedigree then:pac:

I have a dog and would generally call myself a dog fan. Similarly, I keep fish and used to have pet ducks.

I have eaten all of the above and not thought twice about it. Dog isn't my favourite meat by any stretch of the imagination, but if slaughtered in the correct manner then what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I would consider a ban on dog meat consumption unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

"The ban effort in UK has been blocked by Justice Ministry bureaucrats for fear of "offending cultural sensitivities in the Far East"

Seeing that dogs in the UK are primarily kept as pets and there is no culture or eating dog meat then it is the cultural sensitivities of the UK that are being impinged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

jimgoose wrote: »
    我同意你是对的

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I tried dog in China, tasted like bad Turkey so pointless really, Funnily enough in North China you tend to go to a Korean restaurant to eat Dog.

"The ban effort in UK has been blocked by Justice Ministry bureaucrats for fear of "offending cultural sensitivities in the Far East"

If that is true then they are idiots, Chinese and Koreans dont crave dog meat especially when living in the West, that is like the Chinese not wanting to ban black pudding for fear of offending Irish people, we dont really care.

kneemos wrote: »
    Most enviromentally friendly thing you can do is eat your dog. Gotta love a debacle though.

I would have thought offing your cat would be more beneficial than a dog. At least to the biome around people who get a house cat and then insist on letting it out of the house.

Never met anyone who has eaten both cat and dog. At most I find people who ate one or the other. Always wondered how the two compare.
    Aegir wrote: »
    I have a dog and would generally call myself a dog fan. Similarly, I keep fish and used to have pet ducks.

I have eaten all of the above and not thought twice about it.

Me too. We also keep as a pet our own Christmas Goose. Which I find is great for the kids to see where the meat comes from and that it is an actual animal for a year or more before we send it for slaughter.

I also capture wild rabbit and we keep it for a time to ensure it is healthy and fed up before I kill it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd ban it. And also ban the sale of dogs to China for food export.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it banned here? Why are we discussing it being banned in the UK? I would not eat dog or cat, I am iffy about rabbits. Yes I eat cow, sheep, pig, chicken and it is irrational, but that's me being irrational. Haven't they got enough to worry about over there without getting in a tizzy about a non-issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I find the lack of puns in this thread unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Reminds me of a football chant for a Korean footballer

He shoots,

He scores,

He'll eat your labrador,

Lee Chung-Yong,

Lee Chung-Yong...

https://www.fanchants.com/football-songs/bolton_wanderers-chants/bolton-chant-4/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No way, killing yourself is far more the green option.

Surely by that logic, killing others and many of them is far more environmentally friendly?

banie01 wrote: »
    Surely by that logic, killing others and many of them is far more environmentally friendly?

Exactly and correct-and-right. Which is why the greenest invention of all time is, in fact, the thermonuclear bomb. Furthermore, I have it on good authority that Chung Mong-koo had spaniel sausages for his breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I decided it was inconsistent to love animals including dogs and eat others including cows , pigs , sheep etc.

When I learned there were alternatives to get a healthy balanced diet which reduced unnecessary suffering it just made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd ban it. And also ban the sale of dogs to China for food export.

Only the cute ones all dogs? What's the difference between farming a cow, pig, etc and farming a dog? They are all animals.

Reminds me of fuss about eating Tuna and all the Dolphins being killed. Nobody cared about all the Tuna getting killed.

biko wrote: »
    我同意你是对的

:D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It's kind of silly banning it, given we eat cows and pigs etc. Some animals are more equal than others.
    jimgoose wrote: »

Erm, ever think of the fact that there could be substances that dogs consume, veterinary products for example, that are not supposed to be consumed by humans?? If dogs aren't farmed for human consumption, then yes the consumption should be banned.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Erm, ever think of the fact that there could be substances that dogs consume, veterinary products for example, that are not supposed to be consumed by humans?? If dogs aren't farmed for human consumption, then yes the consumption should be banned.

No, I haven't thought about that at all. I merely think that there is no reason to ban dog-meat consumption, any more than there is any reason to ban vole or cricket-meat consumption, because as far as I'm aware it isn't causing any sort of problem.

• Advertisement

Compared to the anti biotics and supplements injected into live stock I'd say if you're worried on these grounds eating dog is a safer bet.

In the US it's said that 80% of all antibiotics produced is used for animals that get eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Xcellor wrote: »
    Compared to the anti biotics and supplements injected into live stock I'd say if you're worried on these grounds eating dog is a safer bet.

In the US it's said that 80% of all antibiotics produced is used for animals that get eaten.

Antibiotics are extensively tested and regulated for known uses, and if they are to be used in food grade livestock then like it or not, their degradants have been tested and deemed safe for human consumption. Also how are these dogs slaughtered and prepared? I wouldn't imagine that your local abbatoir or butcher would oblige someone, so there's also health and safety to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

biko wrote: »
    In the the upcoming Brexit Agriculture Bill it will be outlawed if the Tory backbenchers are successful

Unless there's another Agriculture Bill doing the rounds in the UK, I think Boris killed it with his prorogation (along with loads of other "nearly finished" legislation).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Slaughtering dogs for meat is already illegal in the UK, as is the sale of dog meat. There is no indication of dog meat actually being consumed in the UK, and if anyone has consumed dog meat they couldn't have done so without already having committed one of the prior crimes.

The only evidence quoted is "With three million immigrants from East Asia in the UK, we cannot deny this situation exists here" - in other words there is no evidence, but we're going to just assume people are doing it because of their ethnicity.

The article comes from The Sun, the legislation is being championed by Tory MPs who normally have no interest in animal welfare, and the Sun has decided "bureaucrats" are stopping it because of "cultural sensitivities"

In other words it's a non-issue being turned into a story using all of the right's favourite dog whistles.

Antibiotics are extensively tested and regulated for known uses, and if they are to be used in food grade livestock then like it or not, their degradants have been tested and deemed safe for human consumption. Also how are these dogs slaughtered and prepared? I wouldn't imagine that your local abbatoir or butcher would oblige someone, so there's also health and safety to consider.

I'm still not sure what medicines you think dogs are fed routinely? Apart from vaccinations which are also given to live stock.

There is nothing unique about a dog over any other mammal. It's only different because we think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

quokula wrote: »
    Slaughtering dogs for meat is already illegal in the UK, as is the sale of dog meat. There is no indication of dog meat actually being consumed in the UK, and if anyone has consumed dog meat they couldn't have done so without already having committed one of the prior crimes.

The only evidence quoted is "With three million immigrants from East Asia in the UK, we cannot deny this situation exists here" - in other words there is no evidence, but we're going to just assume people are doing it because of their ethnicity.

The article comes from The Sun, the legislation is being championed by Tory MPs who normally have no interest in animal welfare, and the Sun has decided "bureaucrats" are stopping it because of "cultural sensitivities"

In other words it's a non-issue being turned into a story using all of the right's favourite dog whistles.

well aint you just a barrel of laughs with your facts and intelligent comprehension of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thats a bit of an Idiotic argument no?

The answer is quite simple. Some animals are better to eat / tastier than others. And just like plants - we dont have to eat all species simply because we eat some of them. Are some plants more equal than others? Tell me do you eat cacti? grass? No? Why ever not? Are you a speciest in choosing some plants over others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

gozunda wrote: »
    Thats a bit of an Idiotic argument no?

The answer is quite simple. Some animals are better to eat / tastier than others. And just like plants - we dont have to eat all species simply because we eat some of them. Are some plants more equal than others? Tell me do you eat cacti? grass? No? Why ever not? Are you a speciest in choosing some plants over others?

Your argument would only make sense if someone was proposing a ban on eating grass or cacti, which they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I'm pretty sure in 100 years everyone will be vegetarian or vegan and they'll be looking back at us thinking we were savages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

quokula wrote: »

What's that sound?

Sounds like a heap of single lads frantically typing "sweden" "crime" and "muslim" into google on manky keyboards.

Advertisement