Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatsapp without paying?

Options
  • 18-09-2019 11:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Everyone says it's free, but when I go to set up a whatapp account I can't get past the part where it demands to know every single intimate detail about me... including my card details. Why is this? How do I get around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Did you download the app from the official app store?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 PeteTown

Did you download the app from the official app store?
    When I go into the app store and search for it, I have to click 'get'. Does that mean that I don't have the app?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PeteTown wrote: »
    Everyone says it's free, but when I go to set up a whatapp account I can't get past the part where it demands to know every single intimate detail about me... including my card details. Why is this? How do I get around this?

I've never paid for whatsapp in my life.
    Are you sure your not doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

PeteTown wrote: »
    When I go into the app store and search for it, I have to click 'get'. Does that mean that I don't have the app?

Yes it does. Are you being asked for card details on sign up for the app store?

Whatsapp, as far as I know, doesn't ask for payment details.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Can't comment on Apple, but have never paid for it on Android, and have had for years++

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Are you talking about Apple asking for payment details? You should be able to signup and skip that step. See here:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204034

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Can't comment on Apple, but have never paid for it on Android, and have had for years++

There was a few years where any new user who signed up had to pay a subscription of 99cents a year. Anyone who signed up before they introduced this was never charged.

They dropped it entirely 2 or 3 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

fifth wrote: »
    Yes it does. Are you being asked for card details on sign up for the app store?

Whatsapp, as far as I know, doesn't ask for payment details.
    I called into Three recently and the one there told me that you have to give your card details upon sign up alright, but you don't have to actually pay.

After entering whatsapp in the app store, I scrolled down through the various results (the different search results), and it turns out that I had to scroll down quite far before I came to a version that you would have to pay for. It was "Whatsapp Chat 2" for €3.49. But if there's no price listed and it just says "GET", then I think that means that it's for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I called into Three recently and the one there told me that you have to give your card details upon sign up alright, but you don't have to actually pay.

After entering whatsapp in the app store, I scrolled down through the various results (the different search results), and it turns out that I had to scroll down quite far before I came to a version that you would have to pay for. It was "Whatsapp Chat 2" for €3.49. But if there's no price listed and it just says "GET", then I think that means that it's for free.

Why do people think that people who work in phone shops are an authority on this? They sell phones not apps.

You would only have to enter card details when setting up your App Store account not for What's App.

What's app has been free for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do people think that people who work in phone shops are an authority on this? They sell phones not apps.

You would only have to enter card details when setting up your App Store account not for What's App.

If your phone is google Android use this link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp&hl=en_IE

If your phone is an Apple iPhone use this link:
    https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/whatsapp-messenger/id310633997

If you have never setup an account with Apple or google for their stores, you will have to do that first, which may ask for CC details (as mentioned earlier). This is normal and fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

And the vast majority are completely clueless about the phones they sell, they have the basic information on each phone which is usually printed on the card on the display model but know little else. They are the last people I would ever ask in relation to a phone. They're just dumb sales assistants, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Usually there is a skip option -

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

And the vast majority are completely clueless about the phones they sell, they have the basic information on each phone which is usually printed on the card on the display model but know little else. They are the last people I would ever ask in relation to a phone. They're just dumb sales assistants, in my experience.

You got to remember the vast majority of people are even more clueless as to what they carry around in their pocket. The sorts of people who think Facebook and WhatsApp is the Internet (which to be fair to them, it is for their use cases). These "dumb sales assistants" are more knowledgeable than them and thus they seek their advice.

Because it's literally impossible to get an answer to the problem (that only I seem to have) anywhere else. Where else would I go?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dardania wrote: »
    If your phone is google Android use this link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp&hl=en_IE

If your phone is an Apple iPhone use this link:
    https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/whatsapp-messenger/id310633997

If you have never setup an account with Apple or google for their stores, you will have to do that first, which may ask for CC details (as mentioned earlier). This is normal and fine.

Don’t forget you can skip the add card details too. You don’t have to add any card details if you don’t want to.

Because it's literally impossible to get an answer to the problem (that only I seem to have) anywhere else. Where else would I go?

Forums like this.
    Or google it or contact what’s app.
    Lots of options.

Really mobile phone shop workers have no idea. What would they know about What’s app that’s official. They have no relationship with them.

It’s like going to a main car dealer to ask about them about petrol.

kceire wrote: »
    Don’t forget you can skip the add card details too. You don’t have to add any card details if you don’t want to.
    Not on my phone. Once I hit "install" it asks me to sign in.

Then a notification reads "this apple ID has not yet been used in the iTunes store" leaving me with the options 'cancel' or 'review'. Then it leads me onto a section (that I cannot skip) where I am made enter card details.

Forums like this.
    I've been trying that for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

I've been trying that for months now.

In fairness you asked 3 weeks ago here. People asked you questions and you didn’t answer most

wally79 wrote: »
    In fairness you asked 3 weeks ago here. People asked you questions and you didn’t answer most
    Will I just follow the steps in my recent post there and hand over my bank details to apple. It seems to be the only way to the next step of the battle.

• Advertisement

Will I just follow the steps in my recent post there and hand over my bank details to apple. It seems to be the only way to the next step of the battle.

So you need to sign up to the App Store.

Apple only need your card details for when you download an app with a cost.

They will not charge you anything and free apps are free.

You can give your bank details to Apple without any worries, they're pretty dependable you know.

Advertisement