Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeah all signs gone on both sides of the border.

Clearly serious heat was on.

Maybe now we will get an investigation into why this level of heat couldn't have been applied long ago. They waited and sat on their hands until Veronica Guerin was shot until they did anything too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

My dad worked for Sean and knew him personally from childhood. I know him too, but not well.

I have no idea whether there was an IRA connection or not. Quinn was an extremely hard worker and astute business man. He got involved in business that was so lucrative that Cement Roadholdings (I think they were called then) were flying helicopters over here spying on his growing operation. They were more or less the monopoly then and he took a major part of the business.

And PLEASE...'an area controlled by the IRA???? :D:D

Many many people got rich building up their businesses and went about their lives without any control or interference by the IRA. Such a lazy sensationalist cliche.

So you think the Quinn’s have anything to do with the violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe now we will get an investigation into why this level of heat couldn't have been applied long ago. They waited and sat on their hands until Veronica Guerin was shot until they did anything too.

I suspect if it had continued to be just burnt out cars, posters on lamp posts, telephone threats etc then nothing would have changed.

It took that brutal assault on Lunney, with the graphic details to stir the public revulsion, and hence the authorities had to be seen to do something about it.

I would agree, something should have been done sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

They are gone. Drove past where they were the other day.

they only went after a rucus in the media & online with people asking why they hadnt been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

DFGrange wrote: »
    If you accept that as the norm then let's speculate a bit.

How did a guy with a cement truck become a paper billionaire within 20 years in an area known to be controlled by the IRA?

SQ snr is a shrewd negotiator without a doubt but there are limits to his style if you've ever met him. He's a Cavan/Fermanagh kind of guy. Apart from that you'd think Lagan would have bought him out or undercut him long before he got a foothold in the market.

Maybe he was just lucky
    ..like his €5 card games. ;)

So what you saying is that country people are to thick to become billionaires with your '' Cavan/Fermanagh kind of guy'',

• Advertisement

sasta le wrote: »

I have no idea whatsoever if they have.

If they are I think Quinn, who I know to be a smart and intelligent business man has had a brain transplant, if he thought this was a way to get back control.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

What is a cavan/fermanagh kind of guy?
    Presumably a native. Not one of the anointed ones with a respectable upbringing and the right connections. Yeah, had to be with Ra support, that well known organisation with a stellar reputation for business development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Follow the money, isn't that often the solution in these cases. Follow the money trail and see where it leads...........

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

NIMAN wrote: »
    I suspect if it had continued to be just burnt out cars, posters on lamp posts, telephone threats etc then nothing would have changed.

It took that brutal assault on Lunney, with the graphic details to stir the public revulsion, and hence the authorities had to be seen to do something about it.

It's as if some folk don't care, it's out of the way so who cares right? The attention and resources being made available now is the exception to the norm.

neris wrote: »
    they only went after a rucus in the media & online with people asking why they hadnt been removed

Exactly. If the area is 'lawless' it is because duties have been abandoned. When you listen to the list and ramping up of these attacks it is actually shameful that action was not taken sooner.
    Guerin and CAB and other crackdowns show that it is perfectly possible if the will is there. Questions have to be asked, why it wasn't in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DFGrange

My dad worked for Sean and knew him personally from childhood. I know him too, but not well.

I have no idea whether there was an IRA connection or not. Quinn was an extremely hard worker and astute business man. He got involved in business that was so lucrative that Cement Roadholdings (I think they were called then) were flying helicopters over here spying on his growing operation. They were more or less the monopoly then and he took a major part of the business.

And PLEASE...'an area controlled by the IRA???? :D:D

Many many people got rich building up their businesses and went about their lives without any control or interference by the IRA. Such a lazy sensationalist cliche.

I know what you'd like to believe but as you said yourself forums/social media etc can see things differently.

I have a lot of affection for the Quinns. They're good people and I know they are not involved with what's been happening. They cashed out before the company went under. No skin in the game for them now anyway.

Ballyconnell is a grand spot for a pint, if you're with a local. You know and I know the score there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

sasta le wrote: »

Assuming the Quinn family aren't orchestrating the violence, as SQ says they aren't, l I think it starts to beg the question as to who was running or really profiting from their company in the first place. Was SQ simply a handy fool and a face for this company? Some here say he's a smart guy. If he's in bed with this type of criminal, and succeeded to destroy his businesses as he did, I have to really question this assertion.
    7 years of an accelerating and hostile campaign by a nameless paymaster is a long time to carry a grudge against new directors. The company must have been a huge cash cow for this person/organisation.

Ballyconnell is a grand spot for a pint, if you're with a local. You know and I know the score there.

What?

You need to be with a 'local' to have a pint in Ballyconnell? :D:D:D

What?

the boys-"how dare you, cavan is a spot like any other!"

also the boys-"dont be seen alone round these parts, stranger"

you have to laugh tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Yeah, had to be with Ra support, that well known organisation with a stellar reputation for business development.

Enterprise IRAland

the boys-"how dare you, cavan is a spot like any other!"

also the boys-"dont be seen alone round these parts, stranger"

you have to laugh tbh

You have lost me, my friend.

What?

I wouldn't end up being tortured in a horsebox, not so far anyway.

I like Ballyconnell, I'd say more only I might end up as above. :eek:

I wouldn't end up being tortured in a horsebox, not so far anyway.

I like Ballyconnell, I'd say more only I might end up as above. :eek:

One wonders what you be up to when you are in Ballyconnell to warrant the protection of a 'local'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Presumably a native. Not one of the anointed ones with a respectable upbringing and the right connections. Yeah, had to be with Ra support, that well known organisation with a stellar reputation for business development.

You can't shoehorn that in now though, tough luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you accept that as the norm then let's speculate a bit.

How did a guy with a cement truck become a paper billionaire within 20 years in an area known to be controlled by the IRA?

SQ snr is a shrewd negotiator without a doubt but there are limits to his style if you've ever met him. He's a Cavan/Fermanagh kind of guy. Apart from that you'd think Lagan would have bought him out or undercut him long before he got a foothold in the market.

Maybe he was just lucky
    ..like his €5 card games. ;)

Are you honestly unwell?

• Advertisement

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Money, obviously. If you ran a major business in the border counties in the troubles do you really think you wouldn't have to pay "tax". A successor company owned by US Equity firms is never going to authorise those kind of payments so the boys are out to collect.

This scene illustrates the challenge of shaking down large impersonal corporations quite well.

Ahem... I'm only speculating here. It's possible that SQ was set up and protected by the IRA from the outset and in their mind it's their company.

I'm just guessing..

Sean Quinn being the front for very very very bad people laundering money from major bank raids in recent times... it's their retirement fund.

Maybe.. just speculating..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FYI: There is no IRA. Also Sean Quinn regaining control helps 'the cause' how?

FYI: There is no IRA.

love this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

From the Anglo Celt:

“ The spokesperson confirmed that the man "wet himself and then went ashen pale" when police burst into his home earlier today”

As do all bullies when confronted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The media reporting on this has been funny. Send a reporter to ballyconnell and stick a microphone in the face of a local and ask them about it. When they prefer not to publically comment on a notorious and violent criminal that lives a few miles away then claim to be met with a wall of silence

As I said earlier, I remember well Sean Quinn's rise and remember the spying allegations and other skullduggery accusations going on. I always reckoned that part of the reason for his spectacular fall was that he seriously annoyed some big players in a very lucrative business during that time, but I never quite knew exactly what was going on. I still don't understand the in's and out's but this is quite a read, it like the plot of a Mafia novel tbh. And some of the names!

https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2012/11/the-cement-billionaires/

Re: the fact that the security heat was so late in getting stepped up.

Why did it not happen when a Guard's car was being torched and his family threatened.

For me, that there would be the breaking point. Once the law is shown to have no power, the full force of the security forces should have come down hard.

As I said earlier, I remember well Sean Quinn's rise and remember the spying allegations and other skullduggery accusations going on. I always reckoned that part of the reason for his spectacular fall was that he seriously annoyed some big players in a very lucrative business during that time, but I never quite knew exactly what was going on. I still don't understand the in's and out's but this is quite a read, it like the plot of a Mafia novel tbh. And some of the names!

Was the reason for his spectacular fall not the fact that he bet everything he had, billions of Euro, on Anglo Irish and it was a sham bank?

Re: the fact that the security heat was so late in getting stepped up.

Why did it not happen when a Guard's car was being torched and his family threatened.

For me, that there would be the breaking point. Once the law is shown to have no power, the full force of the security forces should have come down hard.

You'd have to say an incident like that would land very quickly on the Garda Commissioner's desk with 'Urgent' marked on it.

As a citizen of an area demarked as 'lawless' by none other than our current Taoiseach I would like to know what his direction was on it and all the other incidents.

• Advertisement

Sure did......and what gangster story would be complete without Charlie Haughey's name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement