Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Comments

STB. wrote: »
    Those are many excuses, only one of which I believe.
    I don't see any excuses?
    I see gardai that did their best with no back up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

tipptom wrote: »
    Would like to know how and why gardai acted with such speed in this matter?

Only thing I can think of is that SQ would have complained that he was about to/or had being defamed by what the priest said on the alter,

The priest had issued a copy of his sermon a couple of days beforehand so the police and SQ would have known he was not mentioned from the alter.

I don't necessarily agree with the priest in how far he went on his media journey and I sometimes think they still think that everyone is awaiting their take on anything happens in the community or that its their chance to grab the opportunity to make themselves relevant again.

In this case imo he should have done his sermon and left it at that as there are a lot of priess about who are viewed media attention seekers and hanging with people with money and public figures.

You have to wonder would the Garda in a busy area act with such speed for Joe Soap if he felt someone was maligning him even though you had told them in your complaint that your name was not mentioned,taken in to consideration how slow the garda response is to actual crimes that have being committed.

Why is it written on church paper , sur no priest died in the famine only poor people like us !
    Why u interfering father ? This is none of the church business !

If u think I’ll face my mother in heaven or hell without the factory Uve another thing coming
    No collar weapon , uniform will protect the man that stands in my way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

bubblypop wrote: »
    I don't see any excuses?
    I see gardai that did their best with no back up
    So they didn't have the resources to take down some signs and posters for over a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,145 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So they didn't have the resources to take down some signs and posters for over a year?

Is that their job?
    Surely it’s county council.

• Advertisement

Did you see the signs?
    Signs had people's names & their salaries on them.
    Not sure what crimes were there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is that their job?
    Surely it’s county council.
    Do you think that over the course of the year, a senior Garda or two might have seen the signs and recognised that leaving the signs up sends out a message about who is in control, and taken appropriate action to get them removed?

Did you see the signs?
    You can't just put up signs anywhere. This breaches planning and litter legislation. More importantly, the signs send out a clear message about who is in control of an area. That's why they should have made sure that they came down, as they eventually did when the Taoiseach gave the Commissioner a kick up the arse.

Do you think that over the course of the year, a senior Garda or two might have seen the signs and recognised that leaving the signs up sends out a message about who is in control, and taken appropriate action to get them removed?

You can't just put up signs anywhere. This breaches planning and litter legislation. More importantly, the signs send out a clear message about who is in control of an area. That's why they should have made sure that they came down, as they eventually did when the Taoiseach gave the Commissioner a kick up the arse.

You can out up signs in private land if you want to

Do you think that over the course of the year, a senior Garda or two might have seen the signs and recognised that leaving the signs up sends out a message about who is in control, and taken appropriate action to get them removed?.

Not going to happen imo.
    If a Garda falls from a pole and claims for injury the senior Garda would have questions to ask. Again, it’s a council job surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,723 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not going to happen imo.
    If a Garda falls from a pole and claims for injury the senior Garda would have questions to ask. Again, it’s a council job surely.

Not when they have been threatened.

The Guards did it when they had to, no excuse for not doing long before now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Did you see the signs?

I did.
    Wanted. Traitor. Grabber. with photo of the man.

elperello wrote: »
    I did.

See any crimes committed?
    Why would Gardai take the signs down?
    I have seen them, BTW, for years

Not when they have been threatened.

The Guards did it when they had to, no excuse for not doing long before now.

Can they go on to someone’s private property to remove them if they’re not wanted on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Not going to happen imo.

If a council worker falls from a pole, the council manager would have questions to ask.

Can they go on to someone’s private property to remove them if they’re not wanted on it?

Outsiders cos I drove them out ! Me and my kind

If a council worker falls from a pole, the council manager would have questions to ask.
    Yes but it’s their job. Not a Garda’s.

Of course they can. A Guard has the power to go where he or she wants if they follow the right proceedures.

Yes but it’s their job. Not a Garda’s.

What are you not getting here - if there is a threat to life the Gardai will get involved.

What are you not getting here - if there is a threat to life the Gardai will get involved.

But a sign talking about someone's salary is not a threat to anyone's life.

There were threats to anyone taking them down.

• Advertisement

You are back ignoring the other ones which were much more directly threatening.

You are back ignoring the other ones which were much more directly threatening.

I didn't see any threatening signs? Maybe there was but I didn't see them.
    What exactly did they say?

I did.

I did already and you said you saw them, please clarify.

I did already and you said you saw them, please clarify.

But there was nothing illegal in those signs?
    I'm not sure what you wanted Gardai to do?
    I saw the signs, the ones in the south had nothing illegal in them.
    & they were on private land?

But there was nothing illegal in those signs?
    I'm not sure what you wanted Gardai to do?
    I saw the signs, the ones in the south had nothing illegal in them.
    & they were on private land?

In my opinion the Wanted. Traitor. Grabber signs could be dealt with under the Defamation Act 2009.

Furthermore free standing signs cannot be erected on private land without planning permission.

In my opinion the Wanted. Traitor. Grabber signs could be dealt with under the Defamation Act 2009.

Furthermore free standing signs cannot be erected on private land without planning permission.

But defamation is not a criminal matter, it is a civil matter. So Gardai have no jurisdiction over it.
    If signs are a planning issue, again, a civil matter, nothing to do with gardai.

But defamation is not a criminal matter, it is a civil matter. So Gardai have no jurisdiction over it.
    If signs are a planning issue, again, a civil matter, nothing to do with gardai.

Council staff had issued the relevant removal notices but had been threatened if they or outside contractors removed them.

That was when the Gardai should have gotten involved, they didn't until the Commissioner himself made the order.

Council staff had issued the relevant removal notices but had been threatened if they or outside contractors removed them.

That was when the Gardai should have gotten involved, they didn't until the Commissioner himself made the order.

Average gardai in ballyconnell are not going to go out & involve themselves in civil matters

You may have noticed that I did not mention AGS in my posts.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat.

• Advertisement

Average gardai in ballyconnell are not going to go out & involve themselves in civil matters

It is not a civil matter when people going about their jobs have been threatened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement