Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

blanch152 wrote: »
    Neither was he in the IRA apparently, despite being the main suspect in IRA bombings in England. Neither was he a friend of Slab Murphy, despite their many joint operations.

All we need now is confirmation from Gerry Adams, that very truthful man, that Cyril wasn't even a good republican.

Francie has assured me that Cyril never shared a horsebox with Shergar.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

171170 wrote: »
    Given your adulation for the late Cyril Martin, I'm happy to accept your word for that.

Don't be doubling down on your stupid mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do not name or hint at the name (initials) of the person arrested today who cannot be named due to reporting restrictions. I've removed any posts from today contravening this. Thanks.

Mod: Guys - quoting Niamh's message again. No names or hints at name allowed. Also please do not ask for the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

walshb wrote: »
    This country needs to nuckle the fcuk down on lawlessness...

It’s absolute out of control. People have next to no respect for law, order, society and decency; and so little fear of repercussions..

Whomever is responsible for this vicious attack should face serious jail time...

We need some serious deterrent to crime. Right now, there is eff all deterrent with the disgustingly lenient sentences handed down to some real nasty people.

And it’s absolutely disgusting to think that it took a man to almost be murdered before any serious action was taken...

Such populist, ill informed and hollow ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McCrack wrote: »
    Such populist, ill informed and hollow ****e

Nothing at all to do with populist. All to do with reading about what is going on day in and day out in this country..The dogs on the street know how shockingly lawless a society we live in, and how very leniently we deal with many real bad apples....

And maybe you could actually care to point out where I am so ill-informed.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Whatever about previously (I think it has happened previously btw) there is no doubt that once a certain threshold was passed the Gardai and agencies of the state shut this thing down very quickly.
    The question is why did it take so long, when we know files were landing on the Commissioner's desk.

Were the Gardai turning a blind eye to Cyril Mcg, he was allegedly an MI5 grass in the past, but how can you continue as a criminal and stop being a grass, was he working for the Gardai ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Nothing at all to do with populist. All to do with reading about what is going on day in and day out in this country..The dogs on the street know how shockingly lawless a society we live in, and how very leniently we deal with many real bad apples....

And maybe you could actually care to point out where I am so ill-informed.....?

Shockingly lawless? Are you buying the evening herald and Sunday World?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The question is why did it take so long, when we know files were landing on the Commissioner's desk.

Because they were shamed into it by the Spotlight programme.
    And especially when it was produced and aired in Northern Ireland, and beamed into the homes of Drew Harris's family, friends and neighbours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

This country needs to nuckle the fcuk down on lawlessness...

It’s absolute out of control. People have next to no respect for law, order, society and decency; and so little fear of repercussions..

Whomever is responsible for this vicious attack should face serious jail time...

We need some serious deterrent to crime. Right now, there is eff all deterrent with the disgustingly lenient sentences handed down to some real nasty people.

And it’s absolutely disgusting to think that it took a man to almost be murdered before any serious action was taken...

There are two causes of this.
    1) not enough prison space as we don't invest in prison space
    2) If criminals were locked up longer, the legal profession has fewer customers paid for from the tax that should actually be going into prison building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

There are two causes of this.
    1) not enough prison space as we don't invest in prison space
    2) If criminals were locked up longer, the legal profession has fewer customers paid for from the tax that should actually be going into prison building.

Do you believe that increasing the rate of incarceration would decrease the crime rate? If it hasn’t happened elsewhere why should Ireland be any different?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Do you believe that increasing the rate of incarceration would decrease the crime rate? If it hasn’t happened elsewhere why should Ireland be any different?

My concern is to lock away those who should not be out among the public

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is definitely a debate to be had over the use of incarceration and it's effect on crime rates.

However in the case of assault and false imprisonment I think most people would think that substantial custodial sentences are appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

The justice system has completely failed Kevin Lunney like many before him. Why the f*** where these people allowed to roam freely when they should’ve been locked up a long time ago going by some of their history. The state has completely failed him but is anything going to change? Probably not unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

elperello wrote: »
    There is definitely a debate to be had over the use of incarceration and it's effect on crime rates.

However in the case of assault and false imprisonment I think most people would think that substantial custodial sentences are appropriate.

Criminals on prisons should be forced to work while in prison.
    8 hours of supervised cleaning graffiti off walls, litter picking, making meals for the homeless.
    No sitting around or going to the gym or furthering their education unless it's genuinely someone who isn't a repeat offender and shows genuine signs of remorse and rehabilitation.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If Kevin or any of his family are reading this, I send sincere good wishes to them and hope he gets full healing both mentally and physically and gets the justice he deserves and that his family have a peaceful and healthy Christmas.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The justice system has completely failed Kevin Lunney like many before him. Why the f*** where these people allowed to roam freely when they should’ve been locked up a long time ago going by some of their history. The state has completely failed him but is anything going to change? Probably not unfortunately

You know that enforcing the law around the Border risks damaging the Peace Process

Edgware wrote: »
    You know that enforcing the law around the Border risks damaging the Peace Process

We know from painful history that the security forces were a law onto themselves in Cavan Monaghan and Donegal in notable incidences and it wasn't for the benefit of any of those involved in the conflict/war.

This idea that a 'free pass' was being given, seems like a deflection from either negligence or something worse. A blind eye was effectively turned to blatant criminal activity for 8 years in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Criminals on prisons should be forced to work while in prison.
    8 hours of supervised cleaning graffiti off walls, litter picking, making meals for the homeless.
    No sitting around or going to the gym or furthering their education unless it's genuinely someone who isn't a repeat offender and shows genuine signs of remorse and rehabilitation.

Prisoners love to work, there’s a waiting list for prison jobs, from emptying the bins, cleaning the prison, kitchen work, gardening. It makes the day go quicker. Unfortunately, work cannot be found for all 4,000 of them and it would cost too much to police them adequately to work outside the prison walls.

We know from painful history that the security forces were a law onto themselves in Cavan Monaghan and Donegal in notable incidences and it wasn't for the benefit of any of those involved in the conflict/war.

This idea that a 'free pass' was being given, seems like a deflection from either negligence or something worse. A blind eye was effectively turned to blatant criminal activity for 8 years in this case.

While I guess I know what you refer to in the case of donegal, what exactly are you referring to about cavan /monaghan?
    I don't believe a blind eye was turned in this case. There have been files prepared for the dpp in different offences over the years.
    In fact, I'm sure you know, Gardai themselves have been victims of the very same people, so obviously they were disturbing the actions of these people.

bubblypop wrote: »
    While I guess I know what you refer to in the case of donegal, what exactly are you referring to about cavan /monaghan?
    I don't believe a blind eye was turned in this case. There have been files prepared for the dpp in different offences over the years.
    In fact, I'm sure you know, Gardai themselves have been victims of the very same people, so obviously they were disturbing the actions of these people.

The John Wilson, Maurice McCabe whistle blowing.

And quite how you can see 8 yrs of effectively no intervention/no arrests in the carry on at QIH as 'normal or effective policing' is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am not advocating locking up every Tom, Dick and Harry for every crime...

But mother of god, we needs serious jail time and deterrent for abhorrent and vicious crime, and that is nowhere near to happening in this country.

Serious crime has no deterrent when you read about these disgracefully lenient sentence being handed down for real nasty crime.

Crimes like burglary, aggravated burglary, aggravated rape, manslaughter, etc....

Then there are the recidivist criminals who rack up dozens and dozens of convictions and are still walking the streets..

We need to build a couple large prisons to throw in these people for long stretches...

I'd propose something like this:

Burglary-Home invasion first time. Minimum 15 years. Second time: Life

Aggravated burglary-home invasion: 25 years minimum.

Drugs importation: 30 years.

Convicted of being part of a crime gang: This one needs serious time....30 years minimum

Recidivist petty criminals involved in robbery, theft and using violence, for example:: Life after 2 convictions.

I am sure there are more, but you get my drift. Let's see how many people get involved in these type crimes when they know the length of time they will spend behind bars.

Because right now, these serious crimes/criminals know that the risk is absolutely worth taking....

The John Wilson, Maurice McCabe whistle blowing.

And quite how you can see 8 yrs of effectively no intervention/no arrests in the carry on at QIH as 'normal or effective policing' is beyond me.

Maurice McCabe drew attention to a abuse of power by Superintendents and above when it came to cancelling tickets.
    this related to all Superintendents in the country, so nothing to suggest corruption in the Cavan/Monaghan division. Im not sure even John Wilson knows what he was alledging!

and you ignore the fact that there was arrests & files have been sent to the DPP in relation to incidents over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Edgware wrote: »

No, it's purely down to it being cheaper to cut the Garda budget to the bone.

The paymaster also has a lot of friends in high up jobs and a blind eye was turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Maurice McCabe drew attention to a abuse of power by Superintendents and above when it came to cancelling tickets.
    this related to all Superintendents in the country, so nothing to suggest corruption in the Cavan/Monaghan division. Im not sure even John Wilson knows what he was alledging!

and you ignore the fact that there was arrests & files have been sent to the DPP in relation to incidents over the years.

That district didn't come off well from it all, it's probably no more corrupt than others just had a spotlight on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

If Kevin or any of his family are reading this, I send sincere good wishes to them and hope he gets full healing both mentally and physically and gets the justice he deserves and that his family have a peaceful and healthy Christmas.

Thanks

Both McCabe and Wilson highlighted how they were treated when they drew attention to wrongdoing in the force...in their stations and divisions. That was over and above their original allegations.

Go to google and search for a timeline of events at QIH and you will see an escalating catalogue of crimes, that the media knew who was responsible for YET there was no effective intervention from the Gardai, The DPP etc.

If there is nothing to hide fair enough. It is my opinion as a resident of the area, that that needs to be looked into.

I am not seeing an issue if it would jeopardise another case. The law is in motion. The general public not knowing his name just yet is only an affront to nosiness.
    What does it matter to them?

i am not seeing the jeopardisation of another case

the law is in motion.

the jury knowing his history is not an affront to justice.

what does it matter to them?

i am not seeing the jeopardisation of another case

the law is in motion.

the jury knowing his history is not an affront to justice.

what does it matter to them?

You can't cherrypick bits of the law to ignore because you want something done.

If a case was made to a judge that his rights would be infringed by naming him, then so be it. Those safeguards are there to protect everyone, including you and me if we ever found ourselves in the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am not advocating locking up every Tom, Dick and Harry for every crime...

But mother of god, we needs serious jail time and deterrent for abhorrent and vicious crime, and that is nowhere near to happening in this country.

Serious crime has no deterrent when you read about these disgracefully lenient sentence being handed down for real nasty crime.

Crimes like burglary, aggravated burglary, aggravated rape, manslaughter, etc....

Then there are the recidivist criminals who rack up dozens and dozens of convictions and are still walking the streets..

We need to build a couple large prisons to throw in these people for long stretches...

I'd propose something like this:

Burglary-Home invasion first time. Minimum 15 years. Second time: Life

Aggravated burglary-home invasion: 25 years minimum.

Drugs importation: 30 years.

Convicted of being part of a crime gang: This one needs serious time....30 years minimum

Recidivist petty criminals involved in robbery, theft and using violence, for example:: Life after 2 convictions.

I am sure there are more, but you get my drift. Let's see how many people get involved in these type crimes when they know the length of time they will spend behind bars.

Because right now, these serious crimes/criminals know that the risk is absolutely worth taking....

If we implemented sentencing like that we would need to build new super prisons on an annual basis.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

If we implemented sentencing like that we would need to build new super prisons on an annual basis.

If there were sentences like that the toe rags might think twice about committing the crimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement