Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats a good result because we have seen the perpetrators of similar assaults walk free with suspended sentence.

Id say the CCTV of the assault getting leaked to the media and shown on RTE helped to concentrate the mind of the judge in sentencing too. If he suspended that sentence after everyone had seen the video the judge himself would have been national news.

I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with leaked footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,257 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bubblypop wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with leaked footage.

I would have assumed the prosecution/judge already had this footage before any leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

How nasty his intent was...
    McGovern got up, asked for a fresh pot of boiling water, then poured himself a cup before the Ulster title-winning amateur boxer launched his attack during the height of the lunchtime rush hour.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0319/1204938-bernard-mcgovern-court/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Effects wrote: »
    Except it's linked to someone who worked for Quinn, losing their job there. How is that not relevant?

So is every common crime committed by someone who worked for Sean Quinn going to a part of this case?

It was a common assault with no link to previous matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

so did anyone say why the father lost his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It was a cowardly assault with no link to previous matters.

A scumbag assaulted two men, because his father was sacked from the company.
    Plenty of other scumbags worked for the company, and it's former owner.

It doesn't matter if there wasn't a direct link.

Effects wrote: »
    A scumbag assaulted two men, because his father was sacked from the company.
    Plenty of other scumbags worked for the company, and it's former owner.

It doesn't matter if there wasn't a direct link.

So any link at all will do.

Ok...have at it. I'll unsubscribe if it is just about common assaults in the Cavan/Fermanagh area. I can read about them in my local paper. I'd prefer threads to be about the actual issue they were designed to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ok...have at it. I'll unsubscribe if it is just about common assaults in the Cavan/Fermanagh area. I can read about them in my local paper. I'd prefer threads to be about the actual issue they were designed to discuss.

I'm sure Francie's eagerness to have this story buried has nothing to do with which politicians had been lobbying on McGovern's behalf before the trial ;)

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'm sure Francie's eagerness to have this story buried has nothing to do with which politicians had been lobbying on McGovern's behalf before the trial ;)

Who was?

It was pointed out at the trial that it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

This lad anyway, were there more?

A FERMANAGH and Omagh District Councillor has written to the Minister of Justice in the Republic of Ireland, Helen McEntee, to express concern “about the perception of imbalance” surrounding the remand of a Kinawley man in Castlerea Prison, Co. Roscommon.
    Sinn Féin Councillor, Chris McCaffrey, has raised the issue of the denial of bail of Bernard McGovern, who is currently on remand for the alleged assaults of two Mannok (formerly known as Quinn Industrial Holdings) directors, Kevin Lunney and Dara O’Reilly, at a service station in Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan in February, 2019.

https://www.impartialreporter.com/news/18763402.mans-remand-raised-republics-minister-justice/

A FERMANAGH and Omagh District Councillor has written to the Minister of Justice in the Republic of Ireland, Helen McEntee, to express concern “about the perception of imbalance” surrounding the remand of a Kinawley man in Castlerea Prison, Co. Roscommon.
    Sinn Féin Councillor, Chris McCaffrey, has raised the issue of the denial of bail of Bernard McGovern, who is currently on remand for the alleged assaults of two Mannok (formerly known as Quinn Industrial Holdings) directors, Kevin Lunney and Dara O’Reilly, at a service station in Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan in February, 2019.

https://www.impartialreporter.com/news/18763402.mans-remand-raised-republics-minister-justice/

Which has what to do with anything. How does that connect this case to the main topic?

We have seen this attempt before to make the Quinn debacle a SF issue. Try as people might it isn't working.

Disgraceful..

This attack was vile, and someone capable of the premeditated way it was carried out deserves to be kept away from society.

No doubt you will have the usual defenders here for this councillor.

I don’t care what party he is, ALL common decent folk should be United here.

walshb wrote: »
    Disgraceful..

This attack was vile, and someone capable of the premeditated way it was carried out deserves to be kept away from society.

No doubt you will have the usual defenders here for this councillor.

I don’t care what party he is, ALL common decent folk should be United here.

Absolutely...but can you say what it has to do with the topic of the thread please?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

Feisar wrote: »
    It's a sh!itty act but not cowardly. If he had called yer man out and went toe to toe would that have been OK? People seem to attribute certain virtues to certain acts that actually don't fit. Like I can't understand how Sean Quinn or anyone belonging to him is still breathing because it was him that had Lunny tortured. IMHO it's cowardly not to extract an eye for an eye.
    Christ only on boards would someone bother getting philosophical about levels of scumbaggery

Absolutely...but can you say what it has to do with the topic of the thread please?

Only one poster on here trying to silence discussion of this case - and it happens to be someone who tries to shut down anything that could remotely be seen as having any negative connection to one particular political party.

The connection is quite clear for any sane person looking at it - there's massive misplaced anger towards the new Quinn management in the area, largely due to the misinformation campaigns waged against the new management over the last number of years. Neither the abduction of Lunney, nor this assault, would likely have happened without those in the background who've been deliberately sowing anger in the local population.

The thread has meandered slightly off the actual abduction/torture case. Same person suffered here. Kevin Lunney.

There is an absolute link in terms of the man that suffered, the company involved.

Is McGovern linked directly to the subsequent abduction?

Nothing definitive to show this..

Anyway, what’s your take on this councillor and his concern for this brutal attacker and how he was refused bail?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You are being very transparent here.

Fair enough...no connection to the topic seems to be the consensus. Discuss away. I'm not a mod. I'll just unsubscribe until something on-topic comes to light.

Fair enough...no connection to the topic seems to be the consensus. Discuss away. I'm not a mod. I'll just unsubscribe until something on-topic comes to light.

So, do you have view on the SF councillor here?

Or are you backing out on giving it due to it not being so very thread specific?

You have more posts on the thread than anyone.

• Advertisement

So, do you have view on the SF councillor here?

Or are you backing out on giving it due to it not being so very thread specific?

You have more posts on the thread than anyone.

You'll find my posts here are on the topic of the thread.

Politicians intercede on behalf of their constituents all the time...Heather Humphries got herself in hot water for doing it recently as did the Ceann Comhairle and they do it all the time without it causing a fuss.

Anything new in one interceding here? Nope.

You'll find my posts here are on the topic of the thread.

Politicians intercede on behalf of their constituents all the time...Heather Humphries got herself in hot water for doing it recently as did the Ceann Comhairle and they do it all the time without it causing a fuss.

Anything new in one interceding here? Nope.

Was he out of order here? Yes or no?

Was he out of order here? Yes or no?

For interceding on behalf of someone who seemed to be held on remand for an inordinate amount of time?
    No.

The guy seemed to be remorseful...enough to convince the court anyhow, made a huge mistake, was not going to run away etc etc. He wasn't looking to get him released from the charge just for fair treatment. Happens all over the country as I said and all party reps will do it if they see fit.

The connection is quite clear for any sane person looking at it - there's massive misplaced anger towards the new Quinn management in the area

No there isnt.

For interceding on behalf of someone who seemed to be held on remand for an inordinate amount of time?
    No.

The guy seemed to be remorseful...enough to convince the court anyhow, made a huge mistake, was not going to run away etc etc. He wasn't looking to get him released from the charge just for fair treatment. Happens all over the country as I said and all party reps will do it if they see fit.

Thanks for clear answer here.

I think he was bang out of order...the nature of the offense was very serious.

And I’d say the same if he was from any party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No.

Where do you see that?

bubblypop wrote: »
    No there isnt.

+1
    There are hundreds of people working happily for Mannoch..had two in the yard here this week delivering stuff.

Massive nonsense talked about the locals on this issue. Massive.
    Common assault happens all around this country, but here we have posters trying to claim there is something special about it happening in this region.

+1
    There are hundreds of people working happily for Mannoch..had two in the yard here this week delivering stuff.

Massive nonsense talked about the locals on this issue. Massive.
    Common assault happens all around this country, but here we have posters trying to claim there is something special about it happening in this region.

Unprovoked assaults on people sitting having a cup of tea are not something that happens all around the country.
    Assaults targetting someone who has been the subject of other violent crimes, and are being stoked by a campaign of hate-mongering around him and his colleagues are what makes it noteworthy - despite your best efforts to shut down discussion on it.

Where do you see that?

He tried to compensate Lunney as a token of his remorse. Made an early plea and offered himself freely for trial from NI without the need for an extradition warrant, which the judge mentioned in mitigation.

Court reports.

• Advertisement

Unprovoked assaults on people sitting having a cup of tea are not something that happens all around the country.
    Assaults targetting someone who has been the subject of other violent crimes, and are being stoked by a campaign of hate-mongering around him and his colleagues are what makes it noteworthy - despite your best efforts to shut down discussion on it.

Which is noteworthy...having a cup of tea or unprovoked assault?

Unprovoked assault is common in this country. Please stop exaggerating what it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement