Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,256 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Which is noteworthy...having a cup of tea or unprovoked assault?

Unprovoked assault is common in this country. Please stop exaggerating what it was.

It was premeditated violence with real forethought..and malice/intent..these men were watched and stalked for chrissake.

Unprovoked as well..

Not some spur the moment unprovoked assault..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Which is noteworthy...having a cup of tea or unprovoked assault?

Unprovoked assault is common in this country. Please stop exaggerating what it was.

It's deemed noteworthy enough for all the national media outlets to have covered it as well. But for some reason you seem determined to try and shut down any discussion around it :rolleyes:

Funny thing is - I doubt anyone having heard of this case had any idea of your favourite party having had a minor link to it (I know I only googled his name plus the party name after being curious as to why you seemed so agitated about the case being mentioned) - so congratulations on drawing attention to that element :pac:

EDIT
    Just looking at RTE, thejournal.ie, Independent.ie and IrishTimes.com - this story is listed in the headlines on the landing page for each. But yeah, Francie - it's completely run-of-the-mill and not noteworthy at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For interceding on behalf of someone who seemed to be held on remand for an inordinate amount of time?
    No.

The guy seemed to be remorseful...enough to convince the court anyhow, made a huge mistake, was not going to run away etc etc. He wasn't looking to get him released from the charge just for fair treatment. Happens all over the country as I said and all party reps will do it if they see fit.

Martin Ferris will be picking him up after his prison stint...

Isn't it par for the course that Sinn Fein representatives will meet with the accused instead of siding with the victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blackwhite wrote: »
    It's deemed noteworthy enough for all the national media outlets to have covered it as well. But for some reason you seem determined to try and shut down any discussion around it :rolleyes:

Funny thing is - I doubt anyone having heard of this case had any idea of your favourite party having had a minor link to it (I know I only googled his name plus the party name after being curious as to why you seemed so agitated about the case being mentioned) - so congratulations on drawing attention to that element :pac:

EDIT
    Just looking at RTE, thejournal.ie, Independent.ie and IrishTimes.com - this story is listed in the headlines on the landing page for each. But yeah, Francie - it's completely run-of-the-mill and not noteworthy at all :D

And as pointed out in court - nothing to do with the topic of this thread, which is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Wait and see Mary Loo roll will have a ministerial position for this basterd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

He tried to compensate Lunney as a token of his remorse. Made an early plea and offered himself freely for trial from NI without the need for an extradition warrant, which the judge mentioned in mitigation.

Court reports.

He made an early plea?
    Didnt have an awful lot of choice did he?

HBC08 wrote: »
    He made an early plea?
    Didnt have an awful lot of choice did he?

He could have done what one of the Quinn's done and stayed in NI and forced an extradition...he didn't and the judge took account of that. Just pointing it out.

He could have done what one of the Quinn's done and stayed in NI and forced an extradition...he didn't and the judge took account of that. Just pointing it out.

What you make SF party disagreeing with what that councillor did?

I know you defend SF no matter what, but not towing the party line here, why?

I am aware politicians/councillors at times interfere, but this instance was very wrong.

Not to you, though..

walshb wrote: »

I didn't know they had, SF can do what they want.

I was asked did I agree with a local representative interceding if he/she thought something was wrong...my answer is still yes, if that is what they believed.

Whether I think he/she was right or wrong or if I would have done it, is moot.

I guess Martin Ferris won't be collecting him now...stand down lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

I know you defend SF no matter what, but not towing the party line here, why?

I am aware politicians/councillors at times interfere, but this instance was very wrong.

Not to you, though..

The argument can be put forward that even those you despise deserve to be treated fairly.

• Advertisement

dontmindme wrote: »
    The argument can be put forward that even those you despise deserve to be treated fairly.

Why was this man unfairly treated?

Was there some illegality with his bail refusal? Did I miss something?

His detention was given its consideration like all detentions should be

Why was this man unfairly treated?

Was there some illegality with his bail refusal? Did I miss something?

His detention was given its consideration like all detentions should be

He freely handed himself in and seemed to be waiting an inordinate length of time on remand without bail. A public rep asked questions about it...he didn't try and break him out of jail. :)

He freely handed himself in and seemed to be waiting an inordinate length of time on remand without bail. A public rep asked questions about it...he didn't try and break him out of jail. :)

Why was he treated unfairly, I asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

I dunno, do you?

A public rep asked questions about what he felt was an inordinate amount of time on remand without bail.
    You may think that unfair...and I might or not.
    That is what happened.

All I am saying is that I will defend the right of a public rep to do that, within the law and proper channels all day long, whether I agree with them or not.

dontmindme wrote: »
    I dunno, do you?

He wasn’t treated unfairly!

I asked you why he was treated unfairly, if you think he was.

He wasn’t treated unfairly!

I asked you why he was treated unfairly, if you think he was.

Do you think a public rep should be allowed to ask questions?

Yes or no...as you might say.

Yes.

I think he was wrong “here” to do what he did..

SF seem to think it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Has he made representations for many other people awaiting trial?

Has he made representations for many other people awaiting trial?

No idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You'll find my posts here are on the topic of the thread.

Politicians intercede on behalf of their constituents all the time...Heather Humphries got herself in hot water for doing it recently as did the Ceann Comhairle and they do it all the time without it causing a fuss.

Anything new in one interceding here? Nope.

Whataboutery!!!!!

You're on the Leo thread pointing out how posters are using SF and Gerry Adams as Whataboutery and here you are doing the exact same thing!!

Ah Francie.

Whataboutery!!!!!

You're on the Leo thread pointing out how posters are using SF and Gerry Adams as Whataboutery and here you are doing the exact same thing!!

Ah Francie.

Politicians make representations JJ. Why is this one somehow different from others?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This lad anyway, were there more?

A FERMANAGH and Omagh District Councillor has written to the Minister of Justice in the Republic of Ireland, Helen McEntee, to express concern “about the perception of imbalance” surrounding the remand of a Kinawley man in Castlerea Prison, Co. Roscommon.
    Sinn Féin Councillor, Chris McCaffrey, has raised the issue of the denial of bail of Bernard McGovern, who is currently on remand for the alleged assaults of two Mannok (formerly known as Quinn Industrial Holdings) directors, Kevin Lunney and Dara O’Reilly, at a service station in Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan in February, 2019.

https://www.impartialreporter.com/news/18763402.mans-remand-raised-republics-minister-justice/

Well, well, well.

Who would have thought that Sinn Fein would be defending the Sean Quinn empire? Not in a million years would I have thought that Sean Quinn had friends in Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He tried to compensate Lunney as a token of his remorse. Made an early plea and offered himself freely for trial from NI without the need for an extradition warrant, which the judge mentioned in mitigation.

Court reports.

Early plea? The attack was caught on cctv, not to mention witnesses who saw it all. It was an open and shut case, no credit there,no remorse there.
    Offered compensation, again common action in court cases where the defendant knew they’d be found guilty but are looking to mitigate the sentence, again no evidence of remorse.

Early plea? The attack was caught on cctv, not to mention witnesses who saw it all. It was an open and shut case, no credit there,no remorse there.
    Offered compensation, again common action in court cases where the defendant knew they’d be found guilty but are looking to mitigate the sentence, again no evidence of remorse.

The JUDGE mentioned his early plea as mitigation...not I.

Carry on with the amateur analysis of his remorse or the lack of it...I can only go on what happened in the court.

Carry on with the amateur analysis of his remorse or the lack of it...I can only go on what happened in the court.

Francie, you reckon this case has no relevance to the thread title even though his parents were arrested about the other attack on Lunney?
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/03/12/news/man-61-arrested-over-kevin-lunney-abduction-says-family-had-no-act-or-part-in-attack-1865463/

Can you quote where the judge said this please

Francie, you reckon this case has no relevance to the thread title even though his parents were arrested about the other attack on Lunney?
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/03/12/news/man-61-arrested-over-kevin-lunney-abduction-says-family-had-no-act-or-part-in-attack-1865463/

Again...I can only go on what was said in court. Can you make a connection with this and the other attacks on Lunney? Because neither the PSNI or the court could.

Let's hear it or alternatively, should you not be taking your 'evidence' (a hunch, isn't evidence by the way) to the Gardai?

Can you quote where the judge said this please

Below from the Irish Examiner report.
    “Having regard to those aggravating features I place both offences in the upper end of offending,” Judge Aylmer added.

He said the mitigating features of the case put forward by defence barrister Karl Monaghan were that he was a relatively young man without any previous convictions and was “otherwise of good character”.

The judge also noted the character references provided on behalf of McGovern, which he said speak highly of the accused, included a good employment history and good future prospects.

The judge also said that he entered an early plea after he made himself available from Northern Ireland ahead of an extradition order.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40247582.html

• Advertisement

What sort of person could say such a thing

“Speaking to The Irish News, Mr McGovern said while he has no sympathy for Mr Lunney, he had no “act or part” to play in the abduction.”

No sympathy for a man abducted and tortured and left for dead?

People can try as hard as they like to try and deny ANY link here between the cafe assault and Lunney’s subsequent abduction ...

Lunney’s terror was an orchestrated journey...one link..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement