Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

I read a post near the start of this thread which I think is the most likely reason for all this. The IRA back in the troubles were gaining heavily due to the operation of the Quinn company. And then that all stopped after the takeover and they weren’t happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

I read a post near the start of this thread which I think is the most likely reason for all this. The IRA back in the troubles were gaining heavily due to the operation of the Quinn company. And then that all stopped after the takeover and they weren’t happy.

How were they gaining heavily?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Whoever is doing this is paid well to keep it up.

That is the sole reason it is done.

There is a 20 year gap in your explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Danzy wrote: »
    Whoever is doing this is paid well to keep it up.

That is the sole reason it is done.

There is a 20 year gap in your explanation.

It's a plausible theory nevertheless. 20 year gap? Yes but what employment opportunities are there for former terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

celt262 wrote: »
    Someone will start singing at some stage and the truth will come out.

Sounds like the Gardai know exactly who is behind it. The muppets forgot to buy bleach before the kidnapping and now one of them has been caught on a shops CCTV buying it locally at the exact time the incident was ongoing. Kevin Lunney told the Gardai that while he was being tortured there was an argument between them about the bleach and one of them was sent out to the shops to get it. They're not just scum, they're complete idiots too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

celt262 wrote: »
    How were they gaining heavily?

Could be many things but some way the IRA has to have used such a large company to their advantage back then

Who’s to say the people that are doing this are being paid. They could be taking this on on their own accord.

shesty wrote: »
    Apart from those in the area who continue to believe that he is the best thing ever.

Don't be so sure, there's not such a big fan club anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Quinn paid a chunk of "protection money" yearly, to be left alone to go about his business, making a fortune. This was a handy earner for "the lads" and everyone was kept happy
    New heads take over and refuse to pay. The handy earner is gone and it's seen as huge disrespect. These people are not used to hearing the word no and are used to getting their own way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The inaction of guards in the area for the last 5 years is the next big scandal in the force.

Sounds like they didn't want to rock the boat in Quinn country and turned a blind eye to intimidation and death threats.

The inaction of guards in the area for the last 5 years is the next big scandal in the force.

Sounds like they didn't want to rock the boat in Quinn country and turned a blind eye to intimidation and death threats.

Lot of Guards were unhappy with it but they had to go along.

They know why as well.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

heldel00 wrote: »
    Quinn paid a chunk of "protection money" yearly, to be left alone to go about his business, making a fortune. This was a handy earner for "the lads" and everyone was kept happy
    New heads take over and refuse to pay. The handy earner is gone and it's seen as huge disrespect. These people are not used to hearing the word no and are used to getting their own way.

That could be one scenario. Another scenario is someone paid the gang large sums of money to threathen, intimidate and physically assault the current management. The gardai appear to be investigating this scenario.

The world and his wife know the culprits. They'll be got and there'll be a real clanger for the media in it too.

So the Guards were turning a blind eye to a protection racket and a campaign of violence following the ending of protection money.

Doesn't make sense.

Lots of people being well paid to do this and ignore it .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

tdf7187 wrote: »
    It's a plausible theory nevertheless. 20 year gap? Yes but what employment opportunities are there for former terrorists?

Drugs and washing diesel are two that come to mind.
    A hard border would be great for "business" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

STB. wrote: »
    I'd have to say I am in total agreement with Daniel McConnell view in the Irish Examiner.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/columnists/lunney-was-assaulted-quinn-is-not-the-victim-952090.html

Is there a contradiction in the article?

“All I can do is send out my condolences to Kevin and Bronagh and whatever number of children they have. Express my sympathy to them. My view is you wouldn’t do that to a dog. It is not natural; it is barbaric,” he said.

"Not once did he wish Lunney well in his recovery; not once. But that might have been an oversight"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The world and his wife know the culprits. They'll be got and there'll be a real clanger for the media in it too.

I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Is there a contradiction in the article?

“All I can do is send out my condolences to Kevin and Bronagh and whatever number of children they have. Express my sympathy to them. My view is you wouldn’t do that to a dog. It is not natural; it is barbaric,” he said.

"Not once did he wish Lunney well in his recovery; not once. But that might have been an oversight"

Condolences on being assaulted and best wishes for recovery are two different things, I suppose is the point he is trying to make, as he goes on to describe what else was said in the interview (with Northern Sound).

The Times in the UK ran an extensive article on this at the weekend. You should read that.

The undertones are quite clear and have been acknowledged by Quinn himself who has said that his family will be blamed for this.

One thing is for sure, somebody was paid to do this, by persons unknown.

Happy4all wrote: »

I don't

Edited to add - The world and his wife, in the locality, ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Edited to add - The world and his wife, in the locality, ....

PM me the cuplrits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

The shop that sold the bleach should check its wiring I believe it’s liable to go on fire in the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whatever about the inaction up until now the Gardai seem to know well who is responsible for this and they have one of them on CCTV. They also have the horse box he was tortured in so its highly likely the perps left DNA behind them there. Problem now though is the culprits are not going to be the right side of the border for arrests. This will suit the person who was paying them down to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

?width=938&version=3254637

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Odhinn wrote: »
    There's been attacks against property and various threats made since the Quinn family were removed.

I would not condone those attacks but I can understand why they happened. Sean Quinn is not a Dub. The vulture jackeens moved against him after they mis sold Anglo as a AAA+ investment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

https://www.thecurrency.news/articles/757/leveraging-full-surrender-the-real-story-of-why-the-quinn-family-dropped-their-epic-legal-battle

This is very good on the money trial and how high up Kevin Lunney was !

He never learned in that looks like he was offered a deal that would have given him back control and gambled again and lost !

But still looks like heaps of money somewhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would not condone those attacks but I can understand why they happened. Sean Quinn is not a Dub. The vulture jackeens moved against him after they mis sold Anglo as a AAA+ investment.

This is not fair on a number of levels.

Number 1 being you're calling Sean Quinn a dope. A dope wouldn't have built such a huge multi billionaire multi national business empire like Quinn did.

Number 2 is that it's absolutely nothing to do with Quinn not being a Dub and 100% to do with what he was doing, the debts he'd run up, and the state of the business at the time.

Number 3 is nobody miss sold Anglo to him, he bought all those shares on his own back. Anglo didn't even know until it was far too late that he'd bought them or even how much he'd bought.

Number 4 is I don't condone but.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Sean is no innocent, he was playing big boy games and wasnt some small amateur.

He could be fairly sharp in his own practices too if the shoe had been on the other foot

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If only there was some way that poor Sean could have got independent advice to understand the risks he was taking on?

Have a read of that Currency article to see how risk assessment wasn't part of his language.

Mis sold? This wasn't a case of payment protection insurance. This was a billion euro gamble to take control of the bank, because being multi millionaires just wasn't enough and he had to over reach as he strived to make them all billionaires.

It was greed - plain and simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Why isn’t this Sean Quinn fella investigated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If only there was some way that poor Sean could have got independent advice to understand the risks he was taking on?

Have a read of that Currency article to see how risk assessment wasn't part of his language.

Mis sold? This wasn't a case of payment protection insurance. This was a billion euro gamble to take control of the bank, because being multi millionaires just wasn't enough and he had to over reach as he strived to make them all billionaires.

It was greed - plain and simple.
    Good article, got nearly through it before the pay wall went up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement