Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shoots dead neighbour in Co. Mayo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I would rather he had shot himself than someone else.

That's obvious. Other things are obvious from your posts too, but if I attempted to list them, I'd probably be sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

And why do people imagine it's so much safer living in an urban area??

Statistically it's so much more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I know some country dwellers are getting very annoyed here but I'm also getting annoyed at the constant posts about "constant fear".

Seriously, how does one live a live in constant irrational fear. It's not a life worth living if that's the case.

I don't believe anyone lives in "constant fear". You'd be dead from stress if you did live your life like that.

I bet you don't believe in hell either. Or in the female orgasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Are your tools worth a man's life? Get insurance like a normal person.

or maybe the thieves could get a job like a normal person and pay for their own tools.
    Send that old man over to the states, we need more like him. he'd be praised for protecting his property (especially in texas)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

And why do people imagine it's so much safer living in an urban area??

Statistically it's so much more dangerous.

This was an old man living in an isolated area....a prime target for thieves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Portsalon wrote: »
    That's obvious. Other things are obvious from your posts too, but if I attempted to list them, I'd probably be sanctioned.

Are you saying that if you had a choice of two scenarios:

1. The man shoots an innocent man, as is what happened.

Or

2. The man somehow shot himself in the process instead and died.

You wouldn't pick the second?

or maybe the thieves could get a job like a normal person and pay for their own tools.
    Send that old man over to the states, we need more like him. he'd be praised for protecting his property (especially in texas)

There's no need to insult the poor man, even after what he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    If they were loading up your tools and machinery would you stay lookin out at them? Wait till the morning to see what’s missin.?

That's not what I asked though and no one was loading up anyone's tools in this case either or what I was replying to.

We're talking about someone just being outside the house, not even necessarily on the property

What a nut job. Hopefully gets charged for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

What a nut job. Hopefully gets charged for murder.

Why would he be charged with murder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You do realise he killed his friend right?

Allinall wrote: »

Did you read the Irish Sun article? It's possibly bull**** knowing that crappy paper but if it's true..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Or just increase the number of Gardai and the response times. If people are living in fear then making them barricade themselves in will make it worse..

That won't happen anytime soon. Rural lives are so spread out now. Better to protect yourself with security and (possibly) tazers now. Every person for themselves.

High gates, wrought iron on the windows and doorways. Whatever it takes now to make isolated rural dwellers feel safe in their own homes. I think it has come to that now.

My out laws live in very rural NW and have a long curving drive up to their house. A few years ago they invested in a high fence along the road, and a good solid high gate. That's the front taken care of for sure. All has been well since this was done. Planning approved by the way. No road access to the back, but they have put in stuff on the back windows and doors downstairs, kind of concertina like metal thinggys that you can pull back, or lock closed.

Have to be proactive and keep the feckers out of your property. (I hope that doesn't sound like Trump!).

For murdering his friend....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

I know some country dwellers are getting very annoyed here but I'm also getting annoyed at the constant posts about "constant fear".

Seriously, how does one live a live in constant irrational fear. It's not a life worth living if that's the case.

I don't believe anyone lives in "constant fear". You'd be dead from stress if you did live your life like that.

Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean that it's not the case.

Are you 80 odd? Do you live in a small farmhouse in the middle of nowhere? Has the guy you used to meet in town been resigned to a nursing home after his house was burgaled?

Waffling on about statistics ignores how fear affects people, particularly the more vulnerable.

Statistically, very few people are killed in car crashes. But I bet you're afraid enough of it happening to you, that you wear your seat belt.

Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean that it's not the case.

Are you 80 odd? Do you live in a small farmhouse in the middle of nowhere? Has the guy you used to meet in town been resigned to a nursing home after his house was burgaled?

Waffling on about statistics ignores how fear affects people, particularly the more vulnerable.

Statistically, very few people are killed in car crashes. But I bet you're afraid enough of it happening to you, that you wear your seat belt.

I don’t know anyone so afraid of crashing a car that they’d blast someone to death with a shotgun if they thought there was a possibility of a crash.

For murdering his friend....

Maybe read up on what murder actually is.

There is zero chance he will be charged with murder.

Probably won’t be charged at all.

That won't happen anytime soon. Rural lives are so spread out now. Better to protect yourself with security and (possibly) tazers now. Every person for themselves.

High gates, wrought iron on the windows and doorways. Whatever it takes now to make isolated rural dwellers feel safe in their own homes. I think it has come to that now.

My out laws live in very rural NW and have a long curving drive up to their house. A few years ago they invested in a high fence along the road, and a good solid high gate. That's the front taken care of for sure. All has been well since this was done. Planning approved by the way. No road access to the back, but they have put in stuff on the back windows and doors downstairs, kind of concertina like metal thinggys that you can pull back, or lock closed.

Have to be proactive and keep the feckers out of your property. (I hope that doesn't sound like Trump!).

That's a very bleak future for rural Ireland, and one I don't think people should be willing to accept yet. Once it goes too far down that round we'll never get it back. It's still Ireland at the end of the day, not the Wasteland and the fast majority of people are still decent and neighbourly.

I can see why you'd be skeptical of an increase in Gardai anytime soon, and you'd be right with the way things are going but a) issuing of tazers is not going to happen anytime sooner imo, the trend across Europe is for a restriction of weapons not liberalisation, b) since they are already illegal it would require a change in the law which would be a tacit admission from the State that they've failed in their duty to protect the people

I don’t know anyone so afraid of crashing a car that they’d blast someone to death with a shotgun if they thought there was a possibility of a crash.

Yeah, that's not what I said.

You either totally missed the point, or are being purposely obtuse. Fear has absolutely nothing to do with statistics.

Say your neighbor's house was recently broken into. If you thought (correctly or incorrectly) that the guy outside your farmhouse had a sawn-off shotgun, would you fire first?

Maybe read up on what murder actually is.

There is zero chance he will be charged with murder.

Probably won’t be charged at all.

Not buying the whole warning shot BS.
    You don’t fire a warning shot AT the target.
    He unlawfully killed a person.

And based on this thread, I’m appalled at the reaction...

So I could easily invite someone over to my house and then blast them to bits when they arrive and it’s ok because I was probably scared.

USA mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

KaneToad wrote: »
    The likelihood of coming to physical harm from a gang in rural Ireland is virtually zero.

The level of fear is not commensurate with the level of threat. Those most afraid of physical harm are those who are least likely to be the victim of it.

Are you for real or have you being living in a cave for many years.?
    The amount of elderly, and indeed not so elderly, living a total nightmare in isolated rural Ireland would amaze you.
    Maybe some people should travel outside 'the pale' at least once in their lifetime.!!

Yeah, that's not what I said.

You either totally missed the point, or are being purposely obtuse. Fear has absolutely nothing to do with statistics.

Say your neighbor's house was recently broken into. If you thought (correctly or incorrectly) that the guy outside your farmhouse had a sawn-off shotgun, would you fire first?

I don’t believe in Guns at all. They only ever lead to unnecessary death.

washman3 wrote: »
    Are you for real or have you being living in a cave for many years.?
    The amount of elderly, and indeed not so elderly, living a total nightmare in isolated rural Ireland would amaze you.
    Maybe some people should travel outside 'the pale' at least once in their lifetime.!!

What are the figures or can we find them anywhere. How many burglaries have occurred?

So I could easily invite someone over to my house and then blast them to bits when they arrive and it’s ok because I was probably scared.

USA mentality.

What does “unlawfully killing” someone mean?

Read up on what a murder charge involves, rather than spouting rubbish.

I don’t believe in Guns at all. They only ever lead to unnecessary death.

Agreed, but the reality is that plenty of roving criminal gangs are armed, and there's only one way to combat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That's a very bleak future for rural Ireland, and one I don't think people should be willing to accept yet. Once it goes too far down that round we'll never get it back. It's still Ireland at the end of the day, not the Wasteland and the fast majority of people are still decent and neighbourly.

I can see why you'd be skeptical of an increase in Gardai anytime soon, and you'd be right with the way things are going but a) issuing of tazers is not going to happen anytime sooner imo, the trend across Europe is for a restriction of weapons not liberalisation, b) since they are already illegal it would require a change in the law which would be a tacit admission from the State that they've failed in their duty to protect the people

I know re the tazers, and appreciate your comments. Was just musing that they might be less deadly than guns. Guns are allowed, licensed of course so why not a potentially less fatal form of protection like tazers?

As we can see with this incident, it may have been panic, and who could blame the man at that time of night. The man could have been ill, could have dementia, or just have been terrified, who knows. But he was in charge of a lethal weapon, and a man is dead now. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Agreed, but the reality is that plenty of roving criminal gangs are armed, and there's only one way to combat that.

Suppose the best bet so is to assume everyone is an armed criminal and just shot them all without checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

USA mentality.

He is 80 scared he is shooting his gun at an angle and due to fear the gun recoiled down.

I know re the tazers, and appreciate your comments. Was just musing that they might be less deadly than guns. Guns are allowed, licensed of course so why not a potentially less fatal form of protection like tazers?

As we can see with this incident, it may have been panic, and who could blame the man at that time of night. The man could have been ill, could have dementia, or just have been terrified, who knows. But he was in charge of a lethal weapon, and a man is dead now. RIP.

Keep in mind though that guns are not allowed for defence in Ireland, they can technically be used if you have one but when you apply for a gun license you need to have a sporting, hunting or farming need for one, and this is checked

• Advertisement

What does “unlawfully killing” someone mean?

Read up on what a murder charge involves, rather than spouting rubbish.

I’ll leave the technicalities of a murder charge for some other thread so not to go off topic.

The point is, a very dangerous precedent is set if you can blast someone to death and it goes unpunished.

Advertisement