Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shoots dead neighbour in Co. Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Effects of a taser last about 30 seconds. Long enough for a police officer or two to handcuff somebody, but if you taze a burglar, 30 seconds later they're probably going to beat the sh!t out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I live not too far from there.

What's been said locally is that the neighbour visited the old man that evening as he regularly did.
    He left his phone behind.
    Went about his business during that evening. His whereabouts were known but not relevant here.
    He realized that he left the phone at the old man's house. Went back around later than night. The old man must of panicked. Shot twice through the door of house. The man made it back to his car but died very shortly after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

bunderoon wrote: »
    I live not too far from there.

What's been said locally is that the neighbour visited the old man that evening as he regularly did.
    He left his phone behind.
    Went about his business during that evening. His whereabouts were known but not relevant here.
    He realized that he left the phone at the old man's house. Went back around later than night. The old man must of panicked. Shot twice through the door of house. The man made it back to his car but died very shortly after that.

Tragic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LeVaterIzVet

Realistically, why wouldn't he be chareged with murder? Objectively, if a person aims a loaded gun at another person, decides to pull the trigger and kills said person, how could it be argued that he pulled that trigger for any reason other than to kill/seriously injure that person? If he claims that it was meant to be just a warning shot, then surely he could have aimed anywhere other than directly at the victim's car?

I honestly do feel sorry for both parties, but a man is dead at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Portsalon wrote: »
    I bet you don't believe in hell either. Or in the female orgasm.

Don't know what the hell that's supposed to mean but no I don't believe in hell.

Certainly do believe in female orgasm because I've had plenty. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Portsalon wrote: »
    Yep, he really should have shot himself. That way, all of the clueless opinionated urban fools posting on this thread would be happy.

Urban crime isn't the media darling that rural crime is. It's not hyped up or highlighted at all even though it's far more prolific. The hype obviously has people on edge in isolated, safe areas for no reason.

There are far more burglaries in urban areas than there are in rural areas.

So, we're not that clueless!

Firing blindly a gun blindly at someone is just bonkers. Tragic stuff, my thoughts are with both families.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’ll leave the technicalities of a murder charge for some other thread so not to go off topic.

The point is, a very dangerous precedent is set if you can blast someone to death and it goes unpunished.

Yet your the one that said

“I hope he gets charged with murder”

You weren’t worried about technicalities in that post.

Would you say an accidental killing should go unpunished?

Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean that it's not the case.

Are you 80 odd? Do you live in a small farmhouse in the middle of nowhere? Has the guy you used to meet in town been resigned to a nursing home after his house was burgaled?

Waffling on about statistics ignores how fear affects people, particularly the more vulnerable.

Statistically, very few people are killed in car crashes. But I bet you're afraid enough of it happening to you, that you wear your seat belt.

I certainly do, but I don't live in "constant fear" the moment I step foot in a car and I'm much more likely to have a crash than be burgled.

Allinall wrote: »
    Yet your the one that said

“I hope he gets charged with murder”

You weren’t worried about technicalities in that post.

Would you say an accidental killing should go unpunished?

Ok fine, if you insist then.

The nut job pointed a gun at a person and blasted him to death. I suppose there was no intent or nothing malicious about that?

He wanted to kill or seriously harm an other individual and he succeeded.

Ok fine, if you insist then.

The nut job pointed a gun at a person and blasted him to death. I suppose there was no intent or nothing malicious about that?

He wanted to kill or seriously harm an other individual and he succeeded.

How do you know all this?

You appear to know what his intentions were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wish to jaysus people would stop this accidental sh1te. There was nothing accidental about this incident. It was thought out and deliberate.

Only the man knows his real intentions, however, his actions can certainly lead every day folk to form an educated view. From what I have read on it, he seemed to have an intention to cause harm, or worse. What else? Unless we want to blame it all on it being one big misunderstanding/accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has the person who fired the gun been arrested yet?

walshb wrote: »
    Only the man knows his real intentions, however, his actions can certainly lead every day folk to form an educated view. From what I have read on it, he seemed to have an intention to cause harm, or worse. What else? Unless we want to blame it all on it being one big misunderstanding/accident?

You said

“It was thought out and deliberate “

Then

Only the man know his real intentions.

Methinks you’re confused.

Has the person who fired the gun been arrested yet?

Don’t think he’s been arrested.

He is being questioned, though.

You just don’t pick up a gun and pull the trigger and then claim it was unfortunate accident.

Keep in mind though that guns are not allowed for defence in Ireland, they can technically be used if you have one but when you apply for a gun license you need to have a sporting, hunting or farming need for one, and this is checked

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, but if you are invaded, and use a gun to protect yourself and your family, what happens?

I thought there was something out there about reasonable force or something. Maybe it hasn't become law yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Don’t think he’s been arrested.

He is being questioned, though.

He was arrested.

I wish to jaysus people would stop this accidental sh1te. There was nothing accidental about this incident. It was thought out and deliberate.

And how do you know this? Just wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Wait!!

So did he shoot his already dead neighbor.
    Or did he shoot his neighbor... dead!!

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    He was arrested.

Thread closed when he is charged I suppose. Until then well......

Wait!!

It was just a mistake in OP, but I have to say I thought similarly, although it is tragic just the same whatever happened.

You just don’t pick up a gun and pull the trigger and then claim it was unfortunate accident.

I’ve never picked up a gun in my life, so I wouldn’t know.

You seen fairly sure, though?

Wait!!

Delighted you can find a joke in someones death.

You said

“It was thought out and deliberate “

Then

Only the man know his real intentions.

Methinks you’re confused.

Yes, in my view (I should have stressed this) it seems to have been thought out and deliberate. That's the view I have from what I have read....

I don't believe there was anything accidental about this incident...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Oh so you were there then ? THAT is a serious allegation. AGS are awaiting your statement..
    Yes, in my view (I should have stressed this) it seems to have been thought out and deliberate. That's the view I have from what I have read....

You're some genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

If a man is in fear of his life he is entitled to protect himself......agree he didn’t shoot accidentally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

He was arrested and released without charge. A file is being prepared by the DPP.

He probably won't be charged with anything, and can return to his home, while his friend and neighbour can never return to his.

I’ve never picked up a gun in my life, so I wouldn’t know.

You seen fairly sure, though?

I never held a gun either.
    But I can’t think of any logical explanation for picking one up, pointing it and firing it, without the intention to hurt or kill.

I’d imagine it’s almost impossible to accidentally shoot someone in the middle of nowhere at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It shows the fear people are living under in Rural Ireland with all the robberies and burglaries, any noise at night time is met with fear ..

No garda Stations and roaming traveller gangs have Rural Ireland under siege not that Fine Gael Dublin care.

What a little hell-hole Ireland has become!

Makes America look like a good place to live.

Advertisement