Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shoots dead neighbour in Co. Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Some of the threads on this are absolutely staggering in their misconception or understanding of rural living in isolated areas

..........How could an 80 year old tazer anything, you`d have to be beside him
    ...........at my age 60plus,my only chance would be to get the 1st strike in and against a 20/40 year old
    ...........I`m scared to death most nights
    ..........Ring the Gardai,might get someone 2 days later
    ..........Bars on the windows,more security, Yep like that but no money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Some of the threads on this are absolutely staggering in their misconception or understanding of rural living in isolated areas

...........at my age 60plus,my only chance would be to get the 1st strike in and against a 20/40 year old

Why are you scared to death most nights?

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, in my view (I should have stressed this) it seems to have been thought out and deliberate. That's the view I have from what I have read....

I don't believe there was anything accidental about this incident...

Most 60/70 year olds let alone 80 would be in bed asleep at this time. Therefore woken up disorientated, scared to death, alone, no help nearby. How on earth do you deal with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

bunderoon wrote: »
    I live not too far from there.

What's been said locally is that the neighbour visited the old man that evening as he regularly did.
    He left his phone behind.
    Went about his business during that evening. His whereabouts were known but not relevant here.
    He realized that he left the phone at the old man's house. Went back around later than night. The old man must of panicked. Shot twice through the door of house. The man made it back to his car but died very shortly after that.

So, at worst, Mr. Caulfield will be charged with shooting his own front door.

20 years hard labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Portsalon wrote: »
    So, at worst, Mr. Caulfield will be charged with shooting his own front door.

20 years hard labour.

Great tip for any criminal - place a door in front of you during your perpetration and all will be well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Don't forget the low life scum who are responsible for putting this man and many others around the country in such a state of fear are still roaming free out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, but if you are invaded, and use a gun to protect yourself and your family, what happens?

I thought there was something out there about reasonable force or something. Maybe it hasn't become law yet.
    It seems to be fine, Nally for instance, it's just 'reasonable' force as you say, not excluding death

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Why are you scared to death most nights?

Robbing in the area, people prowling at nighttime, no lighting outside, men in vans driving around looking at you. Im on my own generally 4 nights out of 7 and Im starting to hate it but this seems to be life nowadays

If I need help,phone line on a pole outside so can be cut easy, does`nt work in wind or bad weather, vodafone cover not always there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Great tip for any criminal - place a door in front of you during your perpetration and all will be well.

Be sure to tell your friends - if you have any.

Robbing in the area, people prowling at nighttime, no lighting outside, men in vans driving around looking at you. Im on my own generally 4 nights out of 7 and Im starting to hate it but this seems to be life nowadays

If I need help,phone line on a pole outside so can be cut easy, does`nt work in wind or bad weather, vodafone cover not always there

Sounds like paranoia.

• Advertisement

It was just a mistake in OP, but I have to say I thought similarly, although it is tragic just the same whatever happened.

It was the very first response but it was deleted for not being appropriate for a thread like this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Unfortunately the new motorways have helped bring criminal gangs into rural areas to rob vulnerable people. It's a lot more frequent than you might think.
    Older people in rural areas are frightened now. Much more frightened than they were 10 or 20 years ago. The Gardaí seem ineffective and there is a sense they are neglecting rural areas. Perhaps they have more breath test to falsify.

Mod: Crass comment deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It seems to be fine, Nally for instance, it's just 'reasonable' force as you say, not excluding death

Nally wasn't prosecuted under the new legislation, which only came in, in 2011.

His case is what sparked they new law, which now gives people the right to defend one’s property, not retreat, and take reasonable action if you believe that you are in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Sounds like paranoia.

You haven’t a clue.

What’s worse is you don’t want to have a clue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

STB. wrote: »

His case is what sparked they new law, which now gives people the right to defend one’s property, not retreat, and take reasonable action if you believe that you are in danger.

Yeah but Nally shot Ward, beat him with a stick and then shot him in the back as he was limping away down the path.

I hear Nally isn't in a good way these days. A completely paranoid recluse living in squalor.

STB. wrote: »

Just referring to the use of a gun for defence though, it's the main case I can think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Its not actually that different in Dublin, and I'm sure in other cities around the country. I posted earlier in the thread about it taking the Garda two days to show up when my elderly mother was burgled, and that was in a well populated suburb. "Sorry, every car is busy" is what you're told.

I think some rural dwellers have their own misconceptions about what Garda response times are like in cities. Do you think we just pick up the phone and minutes later a swat team descends?

Living beside neighbours gives no guarantees. You can live next door to someone and not even know their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Until we know more, my sympathies at the moment are with the deceased person and his family. Nothing more I can say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It's not just elderly people that are scared to death in rural Ireland. Everyone is. The robbing and terrorising these ba*tards are doing is shocking. And if we use any force against them we will be the ones prosecuted.

2 weeks ago an old man near me had his home smashed into in the middle of the evening and they flaked him, the guards didn't show up for 3 hours

• Advertisement

Is burglary really that common in rural Ireland? Burglary is generally the lowest form of criminality. I mean, generally in Dublin it’s little scumbags that break in and try grab some cash/wallets/laptops so they can buy drugs.
    When drugs is a big problem, there’ll generally be some level of burglary.

I wouldn’t have thought drugs, burglary and little scumbags are that common in rural Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Andrew00 wrote: »
    It's not just elderly people that are scared to death in rural Ireland. Everyone is. The robbing and terrorising these ba*tards are doing is shocking. And if we use any force against them we will be the ones prosecuted.

Maybe not? That remains to be seen.

Is burglary really that common in rural Ireland? Burglary is generally the lowest form of criminality. I mean, generally in Dublin it’s little scumbags that break in and try grab some cash/wallets/laptops so they can buy drugs.
    When drugs is a big problem, there’ll generally be some level of burglary.

I wouldn’t have thought drugs, burglary and little scumbags are that common in rural Ireland.

I'd be very interested to see the statistics of burglaries reported in rural areas.

In 2018 there was just under 17,000 burglaries in Ireland reported and almost half occured in Dublin. Chances are the majority of the other half occured in the rest of the highly populated areas of the country such as Cork, Limerick, Galway, Kilkenny, Waterford etc.

So I don't think there are enough in rural Ireland to justify being so spooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Yeah but Nally shot Ward, beat him with a stick and then shot him in the back as he was limping away down the path.

I hear Nally isn't in a good way these days. A completely paranoid recluse living in squalor.

Guess you forget to mention Ward's numerous convictions and previous burglaries of Nally's home, plus that Nally prays for Ward and his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I’d feel sorry for everyone involved.

You can understand why the poor bloke was probably scared shítless and not thinking straight but you can’t fire warning shots in to a car.

A complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Delighted you can find a joke in someones death.

Boo hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

jmayo wrote: »
    And what about poor old Eddie Fitzmaurice who was beaten, gagged, tied up and left to die in Bellaghy which is right next to Charlestown (you wouldn't even know you had crossed the border into Sligo) which has a Garda station.

There is Garda Station hundreds of yards from this mans home.

I know the station is now one of those open an hour a day but in 1998 when it happened not sure.

Now I don't know what this man has gone through, but it sounds like just another poor old man living alone and probably living in constant fear.
    And the real sad thing is he killed one of his poor neighbours who was looking out for him.

My father lived alone for a while and when I was leaving at night he would lock and bolt front and bad doors.
    Then he would go into bedroom and lock that door.
    He didn't have a gun, but would sleep with a slashhook by his bedside.
    Kind of ironic his choice of defense weapon.

My father's personal alarm went off one night and the local Garda were called to check on him as he didn't respond to calls.
    They were nearer than me at the time.
    He would not let them into house until they got his neighbou whose voice he recognised.

For any of the fookers here who are dismissing what people have to put up with, have you ever looked into an 80 year olds eyes and see the sheer fear they have of being on their own at night.

That is what people living alone in rural Ireland have been dealing with for decades ya sanctimonious fooking ar**holes.

I’m sorry but do you think that living rurally is in any way unusual in this country? We have a high rural population compared to most developed nations. Many of us grew up in rural areas and even those who don’t live rurally will likely have family or friends that do. It’s not some great unknown. It’s likely that many people responding to this thread know exactly what it’s like living in quiet rural areas and not all of those will agree with what this man did. Wind your neck in. You’re the one being sanctimonious here with the above-quoted post.
    Portsalon wrote: »
    Yep, he really should have shot himself. That way, all of the clueless opinionated urban fools posting on this thread would be happy.

That’s a big assumption to make. You’ve no idea of the living situation of many thread respondents.
    Andrew00 wrote: »

2 weeks ago an old man near me had his home smashed into in the middle of the evening and they flaked him, the guards didn't show up for 3 hours

Really? I must inform my rural-living pensioner parents that they’re supposed to be petrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

It seems to be an awful accident.

All the same though it's a pity that some real waster wasn't in the line of fire.

That's the real tragedy of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It seems to be an awful accident.

All the same though it's a pity that some real waster wasn't in the line of fire.

That's the real tragedy of the situation.

Waster? Maybe a homeless person, or drunk, or the local village idiot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gotta' love the whole "if you live remote and rural, you have a pass" attitude on this thread!

Advertisement