Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shoots dead neighbour in Co. Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well I think in cases when the homeowner knows that the person coming on their property and trying to enter their home means to do them harm they have a right to defend themselves.

Frog Ward was a POS who preyed on elderly people until he came across someone who fought back and gave him exactly what he deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

What’s also odd about this is a warning shot is normally aimed high, not at ground level where it can do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

In an apartment block some chap/chapette could be mistaken where they were going, in rural Ireland I'd basically shoot to kill after 6pm, no reason for any unannounced randomer to arrive in winter.

How many times have you been burgled?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not controversial but all too common an attitude. I hear this often; fromw ell meaning folk who would hate living deep rural themsleves.

Trust me, urban isolation is far worse than remote rural . People are the threat, not space.

Wondering too how much of the talk of fear is subjective?

If I am ill I call medical care. Same as in a town only faster here. Same with emergency cover; we have air ambulance service. We are well prepared for bad weather needs. It holds no fears for me or anyone here. Small emergency situations eg power cuts are prepared for and dealt with. Many places have meals on wheels and lunch clubs.. ALONE reaches out to many old folk.

Many of us are very private folk indeed though with no fear of being alone and more inner resources.

And in this case, he had at least one good neighbour who visited.

I have lived deepest remote rural in many places in Ireland for nearly 20 years. When there have been any issues, the Gardaí have sorted it . Now I live on a small isolated island. A great way of life. Which few would choose. Which is fine.

I am wondering ; not up to a lot of internet today; I have read re some smaller areas organising a community alert scheme very successfully?

This was a terrible event. Layers upon layers . Warning shots should be that.

requiescat in pace; and prayers for that old man.

I'm probably going to say something controversial, but deep breath!

Is it really feasible for elderly people to live alone so remote from anyone anymore? I know, I know, no one wants to leave the land or the family homestead, but surely living in the nearest town, with neighbours next door to give a bit of assistance would be far better than being scared out of your wits in the middle of nowhere.

Moving to a town would also help social isolation. But I do realise that many rural folk are not mad about towns and townies. I dunno, was just thinking out loud.

OK if you are a farmer and live in the farmhouse, that's what rural living is all about, but there are many out there who have lost all their relatives, the land is let out and they are stuck in isolation. Hope you understand where I am coming from, and I realise it is an emotive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

GoneHome wrote: »
    So you would have no problem letting them rob you or your property, christ you're very understanding

Eh, where is the poster even remotely conceding this?

• Advertisement

We are part of a community alert scheme here, I'm guessing it's in other rural areas as well.

It works quite well, we get a txt if any suspicious activity is reported in the area and a make/reg of any vehicles also.

There is always going to be a rural/urban divide on this with townies saying people should just move if they don't feel safe and that there are more burglaries etc in cities and rural peole making the point that if they call the Guards it would take them ages to get to where they are living.

Years ago there was always a Garda Station in most rural areas and quite often at least one of the Guards lived in the locality and this gave people reassurance that there was always someone to keep an eye on things.

It's strange that this was possible when the country was dirt poor but it can't be done now.

Not everyone wants to or can afford to live in a city but but I think the Government are taking resources out of rural Ireland in order to ensure fewer people will have the choice to live in the countryside.

Years ago there was always a Garda Station in most rural areas and quite often at least one of the Guards lived in the locality and this gave people reassurance that there was always someone to keep an eye on things.

It's strange that this was possible when the country was dirt poor but it can't be done now.

Things were different then. People lived in and supported rural villages and towns, they cycled & walked more and shopped in the community. Today, rural towns and villages have been abandoned, people refuse to support them and live in them resulting in the closure of post offices, butchers, green grocers etc... There's 100% car reliance and people can't seem to walk anymore. Outlet shopping centres with the holy grail... parking are the places to go to now.

The spread of housing all over the countryside has made in near impossible to police resulting in station closures with a reliance on mobile units.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

John_Rambo wrote: »
    How many times have you been burgled?

Never been, I take security seriously.

Never been, I take security seriously.

Never been burgled but you'd shoot and kill someone that called unannounced after 6pm.
    in rural Ireland I'd basically shoot to kill after 6pm, no reason for any unannounced randomer to arrive in winter.

Céad míle fáilte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

We are part of a community alert scheme here, I'm guessing it's in other rural areas as well.

It works quite well, we get a txt if any suspicious activity is reported in the area and a make/reg of any vehicles also.

There is always going to be a rural/urban divide on this with townies saying people should just move if they don't feel safe and that there are more burglaries etc in cities and rural peole making the point that if they call the Guards it would take them ages to get to where they are living.

Not everyone wants to or can afford to live in a city but but I think the Government are taking resources out of rural Ireland in order to ensure fewer people will have the choice to live in the countryside.

There is no community alert scheme where I live, so it sounds like these areas are actually better informed then some of us in urban areas. But the downside of that is I think maybe receving these alerts could make someone more anxious and paranoid.

Several posters now including myself have pointed out that Garda response times in urban areas are not significantly better and in some cases, the Gardai took days to turn up or never turned up at all, but this doesn't seem to be sinking in. I live within 2km of a garda station, doesn't guarantee they'll come within minutes of my calling them.

I don't think there is any plan by the government to reduce resources to force people to leave the countryside, that doesn't make sense on any level.

• Advertisement

AulWan wrote: »
    There is no community alert scheme where I live, so it sounds like these areas are actually better informed then some of us in urban areas. But the downside of that is I think maybe receving these alerts could make someone more anxious and paranoid.

Several posters now including myself have pointed out that Garda response times in urban areas are not significantly better and in some cases, the Gardai took days to turn up or never turned up at all, but this doesn't seem to be sinking in. I live within 2km of a garda station, doesn't guarantee they'll come within minutes of my calling them.

I don't think there is any plan by the government to reduce resources to force people to leave the countryside, that doesn't make sense on any level.

Doesn't make anyone paranoid at all, just informs them to keep an eye out and report any activity, no idea what made you think that.

The Government do want people to move to urban areas, they have said as much on numerous occasions despite the fact that they can't house the people already living there.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Things were different then. People lived in and supported rural villages and towns, they cycled & walked more and shopped in the community. Today, rural towns and villages have been abandoned, people refuse to support them and live in them resulting in the closure of post offices, butchers, green grocers etc... There's 100% car reliance and people can't seem to walk anymore. Outlet shopping centres with the holy grail... parking are the places to go to now.

The spread of housing all over the countryside has made in near impossible to police resulting in station closures with a reliance on mobile units.

My village must be one in a million so going by what you said, the local shop is doing grand and nobody has abondoned the area, in fact any house that comes up for sale is snapped up immediately.

Doesn't make anyone paranoid at all, just informs them to keep an eye out and report any activity, no idea what made you think that.

Maybe all the "I sleep with a loaded shotgun beside my bed and I wouldn't hesitate to use it" type of responses would make me think that. :rolleyes:

Maybe all the "I sleep with a loaded shotgun beside my bed and I wouldn't hesitate to use it" type of responses would make me think that. :rolleyes:

Dubs are a lot handier with guns than rural people will ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That's quite a big brush ya got there.

Hoboo wrote: »
    That's quite a big brush ya got there.

Exactly.

Same as suggesting rural folk were trigger happy shooting at anyone coming on their property.

GoneHome wrote: »
    I'm mid-40s, live in a very rural area, just myself and partner, we're in bed by 10 p.m. every night during the week because of working early in Limerick city during the week, a commute of about 45 to 60 minutes. The majority of our neighbours are elderly, rural crime is ramant around here, especially in the past 10 years. We have a double barrel shot gun in our bedroom and either of us would have no problem firing it if needs be.

i have no idea why youd post that in response to what i said, which was:

"if living rurally forced this man to shoot through his door at his neighbour, then the man should either not be living rurally or not have access to firearms"

is it completely escaping people here that this fella did not shoot frog ward. he killed a friend and neighbour.

the dirty harry fantasies are in the worst taste

My village must be one in a million so going by what you said, the local shop is doing grand and nobody has abondoned the area, in fact any house that comes up for sale is snapped up immediately.

You beat me to it! There does seem to be a kind of mythology around "how rural folk live. " by urban folk!

My neighbours here, lifelong islanders, shop at the nearest village shop to support it as they have always done. I get all my supplies delivered ( housebound) from a small town in the other direction. Post Office and all services there. Our part time postman takes outgoing mail too..

We tend to be very resourceful and knowledgable and well provided for out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Graces7 wrote: »
    You beat me to it! There does seem to be a kind of mythology around "how rural folk live. " by urban folk!

My neighbours here, lifelong islanders, shop at the nearest village shop to support it as they have always done. I get all my supplies delivered ( housebound) from a small town in the other direction. Post Office and all services there. Our part time postman takes outgoing mail too..

We tend to be very resourceful and knowledgable and well provided for out here.

Are we not all Islanders?

Wondering how they got a licence for that too? Interesting. Never any thought of a gun in all my deep rural years.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Maybe he wasn't all that afraid. Maybe he was very angry and "up for it."

Up for giving it to this person, or whomever he thought it to be....fed up with whatever.....

Everyone seems to be assuming he's some sweet old man terrified out of his mind.....

Remember that man who butchered his neighbor using the teleporter a while back?

You cannot compare that. That man had been tormented by his neighbour for 30 years. 24/7 with a crowbanger. Having suffered from one nearby many times it is far more understandable and utter provocation with no help from local council re noise nuisance etc. There wad serious bad blood between them and he just snapped, whereas the dead man in this was a friend.

Why he chose to call at that late hour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I live in rural Ulster but the nearest police station is 10 minutes away, maybe things are different in Varadkars land.

The funeral was in Knock today. See breaking news; sorry cannot post links

Graces7 wrote: »

Why he chose to call at that late hour?

Well, unfortunately we won’t know for sure why he was at the man’s premises, as it appears that before he could even say, he was gunned down..

How many people living in Dublin are originally from rural areas who moved here for work? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LeVaterIzVet

https://extra.ie/2019/09/20/news/irish-news/funeral-details-mayo-man

It says in that article that the elderly man is in the early stages of dementia. Would most likley open up the defence of insanity.

@Graces7, it was posted earlier on the thread by someone who said they were from the locality that the deceased had visited his neighbour earlier that evening, left to go to a protest but forgot his phone. He was calling in on his way back home after the protest to collect it. (unverified).

It says in that article that the elderly man is in the early stages of dementia. Would most likley open up the defence of insanity.

Not sure insanity could be argued. Unsound mind/judgment, maybe?

If true, and people knew, and were aware of his access to firearms....well?

I have heard nothing as regards the shooter’s family...?

Dementia does not cause insanity. The early stage is quite mild, and would merely manifest as a bit forgetful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 LeVaterIzVet

Dementia is included under the definition of a 'mental illness' under the 2006 Act, meaning that the defence is open to him.

Advertisement