Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei E5577 vs Huawei B525 THREE 4G

Options
  • 18-09-2019 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Trying to decide between: Huawei E5577 vs Huawei B525. We are moving into a really small apartment, and the primary use will be for TV Recordings and Internet in bed.

I know the E5577 is for portability, but the B525 is significantly more costly, but I think it is overkill for our use. 90% of the time it will be used by one person. Along with TV recordings.

Do I stick with the dongle like internet or go with a proper Router like the E5577?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I would definitely go with the 525. Far superior in every way, and worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Neither from Three, they dont unlock modems so buy from an online retailer not your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

ED E wrote: »
    Neither from Three, they dont unlock modems so buy from an online retailer not your network.

As in, if I want to switch network, if I buy from Three the Modem will be permanently locked to Three?

So If I buy this elsewhere, I can still pop in a Three sim card and be ready to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

BaRcOe wrote: »
    As in, if I want to switch network, if I buy from Three the Modem will be permanently locked to Three?

So If I buy this elsewhere, I can still pop in a Three sim card and be ready to go?

With THREE you can do the All You Can Eat thing for €20 using just the SIM card slotted into a 4G Router like the Huawei B593s-22 that I bought off Amazon, and setting up the Profile;

APN Profile -- 3 , 3ireland.ie

And off you go. The reception and speed using that beats a dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

BeerWolf wrote: »
    With THREE you can do the All You Can Eat thing for €20 using just the SIM card slotted into a 4G Router like the Huawei B593s-22 that I bought off Amazon, and setting up the Profile;

Sweet thanks. I've ordered this:

Huawei B593s-22 LTE/4G Unlocked UK Plug Wireless Router - White (150 MBPS)

Appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

BeerWolf wrote: »

Hi there,
    I got this router, put in the three SIM, topped up by €20 but am still in not getting internet? What are the exact settings for 3ireland.ie? I'm seeing internet.home as well??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

AFAIK dial number (*99#) isn't used so try deleting that field entry from the existing APN or else add a new APN with just the APN address 3ireland.ie

Don't know what the other APN is for, probably an entry for a different network.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Interesting thread. 2 Questions:

1) Don't they throttle the PAYG SIM after 60/80GB and thus your speed gets reduced? I'm aware it wouldn't be stopped, but I assume it'd be slower. Might be better paying the extra tenner for Three Bill Pay for 750 GB?
    2) Is there any point in getting it unlocked to switch to another provider? I mean, the mobile broadband landscape might change dramatically in the medium term future, but the others (Vodafone, Eir) would need to dramatically up their game regarding data allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Godot. wrote: »
    Interesting thread. 2 Questions:

1) Don't they throttle the PAYG SIM after 60/80GB and thus your speed gets reduced? I'm aware it wouldn't be stopped, but I assume it'd be slower. Might be better paying the extra tenner for Three Bill Pay for 750 GB?
    2) Is there any point in getting it unlocked to switch to another provider? I mean, the mobile broadband landscape might change dramatically in the medium term future, but the others (Vodafone, Eir) would need to dramatically up their game regarding data allowance.

No throttling going on at present. If they do start, then you can move on to the bill pay e30 plan. Married with auto top-up, no benefit to bill pay that I could see.

You can get an unlocked router often times cheaper than the locked ones so really there is no reason to get a locked one, unless of course you want to buy on contract and spread repayments. Vodafone have a 300GB for €40/month, Eir have a €20/month unlimited (80GB FUP) prepay and GoMo (Eir) have unlimited (80GB FUP) for €10/month just announced.

Basically, get an unlocked one unless you have a good reason no to.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

westyIrl wrote: »
    No throttling going on at present. If they do start, then you can move on to the bill pay e30 plan. Married with auto top-up, no benefit to bill pay that I could see.

You can get an unlocked router often times cheaper than the locked ones so really there is no reason to get a locked one, unless of course you want to buy on contract and spread repayments. Vodafone have a 300GB for €40/month, Eir have a €20/month unlimited (80GB FUP) prepay and GoMo (Eir) have unlimited (80GB FUP) for €10/month just announced.

Basically, get an unlocked one unless you have a good reason no to.

Jim

Can you sign up for GoMo and just use this sim in a 4G router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Can you sign up for GoMo and just use this sim in a 4G router?

Yep. Tethering allowed.

Advertisement