Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Kerry accent really that hard to understand?

Options
  • 18-09-2019 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

This comment caught my eye ...
    Christian Hession Burke - 1 week ago
    Can't understand and I'm irish

... for this video:

I was born and raised in the Bronx and I understood every word. (Of course, my mom was from Ballybunion.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

It's not. It's your typical joe.ie and beeping their cars outside donut places at 2am people think it's funny to say otherwise. I don't really know why.

I'm from Kerry, worked in Israel for a while and was told I was very easy to understand compared to other Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I'm going to see him soon actually. My missus says he's funny. I know nothing about him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I am from Kerry and when I lived in Dublin no one believed I was from Kerry because I didn't 'sound' like a Kerry person!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I am from Kerry and when I lived in Dublin no one believed I was from Kerry because I didn't 'sound' like a Kerry person!

Some Kerry people have "notions" and because of these "notions" they're more easily understood :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some Kerry people have "notions" and because of these "notions" they're more easily understood :pac:

Or not all Kerry people sound like what people think Kerry accents should sound like! Not sure what you mean by 'notions'....I certainly don't have 'notions'...or put on a posh accent if that's what you are referring to!
    Most people I know from here don't even sound like they have a Kerry accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sometimes ..yes!

Think of MHR on steroids :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It really depends like most accents, the deeper into the countryside you go and the older the people the harder it becomes to understand them. I spoke to a few farmers out in the mountains one time who I really struggled to even get the gist of what they were saying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I lived and worked in Kerry for years.

It is only the agricultural/mountainy/sheep farmer types that sound like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It really depends like most accents, the deeper into the countryside you go and the older the people the harder it becomes to understand them. I spoke to a few farmers out in the mountains one time who I really struggled to even get the gist of what they were saying

I married someone from Kerry who has no accent and no issues understanding them or their siblings

but when her father was speaking with a friend, particularly in a pub, I often wouldn't have a notion what they were talking about.

a combination of accent, speed and half mumbling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Riskymove wrote: »
    I married someone from Kerry who has no accent and no issues understanding them or their siblings

but when her father was speaking with a friend, particularly in a pub, I often wouldn't have a notion what they were talking about.

a combination of accent, speed and half mumbling

Yeah exactly. I don't even have a strong accent but I can speak to my brother fast and mumbling enough to stop most people from understanding us if we want

• Advertisement
Advertisement