Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot noodles

• 18-09-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

Muck. Why would anyone want to eat such a pile of disgusting slop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

meh - they're cheap and easy to have for a quick lunch etc.

they have now plans to release a "Family" pot noodle that can feed a family of 6 apparently.
    (dont have link - in todays Daily Mail/Mirror)

I never understand people who "love their food".... it's merely something to put in your stomach to stop you feeling hunger.
    if that happens to be a Pot Noodle, or a Lobster then i dont care as long as it gets rid of hunger.

yeah, some food tastes nice and all that, but there's more to life than "oh my god the steak i got in there last week was unreal" etc etc. it's JUST FOOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A current trend among homeless people is a pot noodle with a packet soup mixed in with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never understand people who "love their food".... it's merely something to put in your stomach to stop you feeling hunger.
    if that happens to be a Pot Noodle, or a Lobster then i dont care as long as it gets rid of hunger.

yeah, some food tastes nice and all that, but there's more to life than "oh my god the steak i got in there last week was unreal" etc etc. it's JUST FOOD.

You could say similar to anything that people enjoy or are passionate about.
    It's just words on a page!
    It's just millionaires running after a ball!
    It's just fermented grains in liquid form!

Get my drift?

Yoy obviously aren't into food, that's grand.
    Why do you have a problem with people who are?
    Food and diet are hugely related to health and wellbeing so it is somewhat more important than many other interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Muck. Why would anyone want to eat such a pile of disgusting slop[/QUOTE

Last week for the first time in years, I bought a pot noodle. Oh dear God I had forgotten how awful they are. I took one taste and the rest went in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Pot noodles are one of my go to hangover foods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The old Knorr curry ones from years ago that had the flat package were very good

Then they changed it

Pot noodle were always filth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A current trend among homeless people is a pot noodle with a packet soup mixed in with it

really? the actual overpriced branded stuff? I have been cooking up noodles in soup for donkeys years, but I would not be paying over the odds for pot noodles. You get a pack of tesco noodles for 12cent, I add my own spices & stuff to them. Pot noodles usually cost literally over 10 times as much, it still might not be a lot of money but I cannot bring myself to pay that -seeing as there is nothing special about them anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

It's literally prison food. If you want to see some pretty ingenious ways of making it tastier/more filling check out YouTube how to make 'spread' in prison or some call it 'chi-chi'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never had Pot Noodles, the branded ones, or Knor or Supernoodles.
    Koka instant noodles in a pot are nice though, imo. Rubbish but tasty.

I really like Nisan Asian instant noodles packets- some great flavours. Over the years I've eaten a lot of cheap packs of instant noodles, great hangover fodder!

Asian shops have a bewildering array of instant noodles, both in pot and in packets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

May I interest you in some Huel?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

kylith wrote: »
    May I interest you in some Huel?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huel

I bet its mingin

I bet its mingin

I assume it's bland beyond belief, but it should be perfect for someone who sees food as something to just get rid of hunger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'm not homeless :):)

Pure junk, but bloody tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not into the pot noodles but someone mentioned the 10 cent packets of noodles?

Does anyone please know how I can get these eg mail order? I am effectively housebound and supervalu who are so good re deliveries do not stock them. Too far out etc ( offshore island) to get to eg Tesco or lidl and they are a lifesaver when I am not well enough to cook. I had a store of them but all gone..

Not using the flavouring sachets. just the noodles

Planning to try cooking a whole packet of eg penne and bagging it up in portions?

Living on microwaved baked potatoes just now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Anyone try the koka noddles? Not the most nutritious but our kids love them as a snack now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Soba noodles, Japanese I think.

Got the them the other week and they are delicious as a snack,
    Young Kids won’t like em tho as the flavors are too strong.

Don’t like the other types, koka or pot noodlesz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I used to love the old Knorr quick lunch curry noodles back in the day. Not made anymore.

Theres worse things than noodles- things called mugshots- kind of a cross between soup and noodles. Absolutely vile. Had one for lunch one day and actually vomited after it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Noodles are fine as a snack. Pot noodles are jyst over priced noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

rubadub wrote: »
    really? the actual overpriced branded stuff? I have been cooking up noodles in soup for donkeys years, but I would not be paying over the odds for pot noodles. You get a pack of tesco noodles for 12cent, I add my own spices & stuff to them. Pot noodles usually cost literally over 10 times as much, it still might not be a lot of money but I cannot bring myself to pay that -seeing as there is nothing special about them anyways.

Sometimes it's the branded stuff but when we get them they are usually short dated but in the main it's the cheaper ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Pot Noodles are like elastic bands in instant soup. The Koka curry noodles are really tasty though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Ann22 wrote: »
    Pot Noodles are like elastic bands in instant soup. .

:pac::pac::pac:

Best description ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

0c08fb800bcc01377f4a005056a9545d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Every time I scroll past this thread I get a hankering for a chicken and mushroom pot noodle.

I haven't had one for about twenty years and they've probably had whatever flavour they ever had sucked out of them now that e-numbers and buckets of salt are severely frowned upon, but even so, the pot noodle still calls to me.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not into the pot noodles but someone mentioned the 10 cent packets of noodles?

Does anyone please know how I can get these eg mail order? I am effectively housebound and supervalu who are so good re deliveries do not stock them. Too far out etc ( offshore island) to get to eg Tesco or lidl and they are a lifesaver when I am not well enough to cook. I had a store of them but all gone..

Not using the flavouring sachets. just the noodles

Planning to try cooking a whole packet of eg penne and bagging it up in portions?

Living on microwaved baked potatoes just now...

Tesco home delivery. Can't recommend it enough!

I'm clearly in a minority of about one by both liking the odd pot noodle and being mature enough to appreciate that different people like different things.
    Why would anyone want to eat such a pile of disgusting slop

Whats disgusting about it? Its noodles in flavoured hot water. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Apparently famed chef and food writer Yotam Ottolenghi loves pot noodles as does michelin-starred chef Claude Bosi (he prefers his with bacon frazzles on top).

B0jangles wrote: »
    Every time I scroll past this thread I get a hankering for a chicken and mushroom pot noodle.

I haven't had one for about twenty years and they've probably had whatever flavour they ever had sucked out of them now that e-numbers and buckets of salt are severely frowned upon, but even so, the pot noodle still calls to me.

Nothing is ever as good as you remember. I got burned by Skips a long time ago and haven't been able to trust since...

Sadly they do not come out to the island; supervalu do which is where I get almost all my groceries but they do not stock the cheap noodles.. Not a great deprivation! Cooked penne ! Just the way we always yearn for what we cannot get!

B0jangles wrote: »

This thread will have greatly increased sales of pot noodles!

I'm clearly in a minority of about one by both liking the odd pot noodle and being mature enough to appreciate that different people like different things.

Whats disgusting about it? Its noodles in flavoured hot water. :confused:

Agree.. I stopped getting them as they have additives I am not good with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Agree.. I stopped getting them as they have additives I am not good with.

Surely the 10 cent ones have additives too? I wonder would you be entitled to a few hours home help per week? They could do a bit of shopping for you and cook bulk dinners.

Advertisement